To HARDCORE or not to HARDCORE

Why do you hardcore and why not? General discussion that helps me make up my mind. =)
My opinion on the matter:

Why HC? The awesome feeling of adrenaline rush when in a dangerous situation and dropping down to 10% HP, and constant tension when going into new areas, because with the RNG involved in area creation you never know what's waiting for you.

Why not HC? The terrible feeling of dying to something you couldn't influence and losing hours/days/months of what you carefully built so far. I don't mind dying to something I messed up. But death because my PC is not handling a certain amount of effects properly (2 seconds of FPS breakdown in a room containing Rhoas? GG) or desyncing where I did take good care not to desync (but I did move out of the Vaal Oversouls slam, wtf!!!) is just annoying.
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
Well PoE's "Hardcore" isn't truly hardcore in the sense that if you die you still keep everything just move down to standard league.

So just go hardcore, you have nothing to lose.
adania/93 --- ElementalNecro/91 --- GwanSauceMan/90
ScionFakeWitch/88 --- WikiWikiWitch/87 --- LArrowToTheKnee/83
Lethal_Injection/80
[b color="#FE2EC8"][b color="#FFAC12"][/b]
"
adania wrote:
Well PoE's "Hardcore" isn't truly hardcore in the sense that if you die you still keep everything just move down to standard league.

For 95% of HC players means death = perma death, since they dont touch these characters ever again..in some szenarios, they are maybe used to test certain builds.
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

I like HC modes in a limited capacity: racing.

Most times I play to relax, or just zone out. For that, only SC will suffice.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
I dont HC because I have a 7 year old computer.
"
adania wrote:

Umm, wat? If you die in HC, you lose your shit in HC. To people who actually play hardcore, you lose everything. I don't even remove the shit off of my char when it dies. I've deleted plenty of chars with Tabulas/Daresso's/few exalt gears as soon as they enter scrubleague.
Last edited by FadedCC on Apr 20, 2014, 11:36:00 AM
I recently started my first HC character and I'm really enjoying it.

Going from standard, an established character, gear and some wealth to pretty much having nothing and literally having to use only what I find, is similar to the challenge I haven't faced since I started playing the first time. It's cool to find wisdom scrolls again.

I'm enjoying it because there's a level of strategy involved that isn't as necessary in standard. I can't just rush a place and die then rush back and die until I've beat it. I really have to choose my battles and control the battlefield. Granted I'm level 18 and haven't faced a lot of serious challenges by any means, but the challenges I've faced are definitely a lot more personal. I really have to choose if I'm going to do a corrupted area or fight something that can probably kill me. I'm invested in this low level, economically challenged character, considerably more than the ones I have in standard. I care if he dies.

In the end, this game has a lot of different ways to play. Why not check out everything it has to offer?

EDIT:I died shortly after posting this to some voidbearers in a corrupted zone. Think I may have jinxed myself.
Last edited by Altoids on Apr 20, 2014, 6:53:34 PM
"
adania wrote:

pretty much this
I play strictly hardcore because I expect to play this game for the next year or so before I beat it with each character. I've been playing over a year and have yet to beat merciless. I like it that way. Strictly solo/self-found. I have a few more personal rules that keep me from rolling the game. Characters must be played in parallel development (broken at cruel Dom). Bind on equip (no transferring gems to be leveled by another character or passing items from character to character because they're BIS)

Basically, playing a party of individuals who can trade with each other, but not exploit each other.

Adania's wrong by the way. Your equiped items are removed from the league. You lose when you die. You lose access to the equipment you prized most.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Apr 20, 2014, 12:45:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info