Actually POE is #51 Steam...more fun data

In case no one has posted this list from ars technica who did a fun project collecting data on public steam accounts for the past year.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/steam-gauge-addressing-your-questions-and-concerns/2/

To check out the main article and look at their cool charts and the number of unplayed games (I feel less guilty btw) look here and reference the original article as well.

page 1 concerns
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/steam-gauge-addressing-your-questions-and-concerns/

start
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/introducing-steam-gauge-ars-reveals-steams-most-popular-games/

I find it very interesting that Dota 2 players have logged over 3 billion hours.

Last edited by raziekeljr on Apr 20, 2014, 12:06:45 AM
yah i saw this

i think them stats are just how meny accs are made and not of who logs on to them
3 billion hours. Wow.

That's an interesting article to read Raziek, however your title of "POE is #51 Steam" does not exactly mean POE is currently #51 regarding player number or hours.

That list is the number of players who have played the respective games for at least 6 minutes in online mode since March 2009. So there are 5 years of data there.

The charts that show total number of hours played for the top 20 etc. also total up the playtime going back to March 2009. Sure some of the games on the list are new releases and thus u could measure those against POE if any of the charts showed only games released in the last year, but they don't.

So a more accurate title for this thread would be "POE is #51 on steam as far as total people who played any particular game on steam in the last 5 years for more than 6 minutes. Not bad for an independent developer that is available from other sources than steam.

I don't use steam for POE anyways, neither do any of my friends who play. But that data is fun, thanks for the article link.
"
BoatRam wrote:
That's an interesting article to read Raziek, however your title of "POE is #51 Steam" does not exactly mean POE is currently #51 regarding player number or hours.

That list is the number of players who have played the respective games for at least 6 minutes in online mode since March 2009. So there are 5 years of data there.

The charts that show total number of hours played for the top 20 etc. also total up the playtime going back to March 2009. Sure some of the games on the list are new releases and thus u could measure those against POE if any of the charts showed only games released in the last year, but they don't.

So a more accurate title for this thread would be "POE is #51 on steam as far as total people who played any particular game on steam in the last 5 years for more than 6 minutes. Not bad for an independent developer that is available from other sources than steam.

I don't use steam for POE anyways, neither do any of my friends who play. But that data is fun, thanks for the article link.

Who uses steam isn't it like crossfire ?
Nobody's using steam.
More and more people use standalone client.
One million players online by the end of the year.
To the moon guys!
:^)
I don't even know what crossfire is to be honest. I googled it and see that there's a free to play game called crossfire with pay to win structure that took in $957 million in revenue last year. Even beat LOL, by a good amount.
Judging by the context it's some game manager though, much less exciting than nearly a billion dollar korean FPS, ah well.
"
stormyknight wrote:
"
BoatRam wrote:

Who uses steam isn't it like crossfire ?

i use steam. you know, there are other games around than poe.
and btw i got a 10mb+ downloadspeed on steam and the standalone downloader is around 2-3 mb.
thats huge.
Last edited by PoorJoy on Apr 20, 2014, 3:17:26 AM
Steam data is not representative, depending on the game of course. Some games are only available through steam and POE is not one of them, in fact steam was added quite late so most probably play over the solo client.
Nice all time statistics.

Long time not seen Portal, might run it up sometime. :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info