Let's talk about Japanese localization and the story of PoE

Hi there,

I am a Japanese translation volunteer. I know that GGG is planning support of localization in the FAQ.
However, there is no sign of formal announcement about localization until now. And so, when I asked a few days ago about that matter, Support of GGG has promised that it will release a Japanese version that used our translated texts.

Although I'm almost translated about the quests texts, other parts are not ready yet. Now therefor, let's talk together about the best translation!

And I'm grateful to you, Yeran and Michael of the Support, for your kindness.

日本語の書き込みもできます。日本語版を望む声があることを示すため、ぜひ何かひと言書き込んでください。
Last bumped on Aug 9, 2017, 7:47:49 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I think voice actors is the biggest issue rather than translating.
Hi Matougi,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. We hope to make translations of the game available in future however we are not able to speculate as to when this may be.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
Hi Dan_GGG

Thanks for your information.
Does it mean that you ask a professional's translator for the translation? In our community, the argument has already progressed about the ideal of localization. And for example, there are a number of players who do not wish to translate about proper nouns. Don't you hear such users' hope?
Of course they go to professionals to do the translations. Thats the only way the can give us the best quality in voice acting and translating text.
[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Apr 20, 2014, 8:36:14 AM
Why is english so hard to learn for some people ? ;|
"
Of course they go to professionals to do the translations. Thats the only way the can give us the best quality in voice acting and translating text.

It sounds reasonable.

However, the professional translator is not so trusted in the game community of Japan. For example, it is because a mistranslation is conspicuous even in Skyrim and especially the noun are strange translation in many cases. And the noun is convenient for that it is English to investigate by Wiki. Therefore, many Japanese players want to leave the noun English, as mentioned above. Moreover, also many players don't hope of the Japanese voices because the atmosphere in the different world is spoiled.

But if GGG judges that it is better, I will respect the idea and I want a good Japanese version to be released.
"
Matougi wrote:
"

It sounds reasonable.

However, the professional translator is not so trusted in the game community of Japan. For example, it is because a mistranslation is conspicuous even in Skyrim and especially the noun are strange translation in many cases. And the noun is convenient for that it is English to investigate by Wiki. Therefore, many Japanese players want to leave the noun English, as mentioned above. Moreover, also many players don't hope of the Japanese voices because the atmosphere in the different world is spoiled.

But if GGG judges that it is better, I will respect the idea and I want a good Japanese version to be released.

Translation of names is unprofessional in my book, I can feel you.
Whoever thought this to be a cool idea, need to get his shit straight.

However I can imagine that GGG is able to specify the needs of the community to the translator. They might add to the contract that names are specifically not translated. (This is not a problem in PoE anyway due to the nature of the names compared to Skyrim or WoW)
"
Why is english so hard to learn for some people ? ;|

English education in japan (and education in general) is terrible. They learn english in school for 6 years, yet they have no proficiency whatsoever. The way english is taught in japan is extremely inefficient. They lack proper knowledge of how to teach and learn languages in japan, so for japanese, it is extremly hard to learn english, simply because they have no idea how to do it.

That being said, some people just prefer playing a game in their native language. I'm not one of them, but people have different preferences.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info