there's any better game than POE in the world?

"
rrtson wrote:
Demon's Souls (original), Dark Souls, and soon to be released: Dark Souls 2.

That entire series is just plain fucking awesome. The sense of foreboding and urgency when you play is just simply something that cannot be recreated in any other game. The feeling of reward after you beat a certain boss/area is also unmatched.

until you discover that block is op, and godmode is achieved simply by holding down L1 for dear life everywhere you go
"
testinglk wrote:
"
rrtson wrote:

That entire series is just plain fucking awesome. The sense of foreboding and urgency when you play is just simply something that cannot be recreated in any other game. The feeling of reward after you beat a certain boss/area is also unmatched.

until you discover that block is op, and godmode is achieved simply by holding down L1 for dear life everywhere you go

Have you played the game(s)?

(1) Block requires stamina
(2) You can still get ambushed from behind while blocking (as in, when you get surrounded)

Unlike block in PoE (which is fucking OP), in Dark Souls it isn't automatic, nor is it infinite. You can only block for so long until you run out of Stamina and have to dodge/roll away/parry.
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
"
Reinhart wrote:

FPS - I hardly play them anymore since all of them turned into handheld stories where the shooting mechanic is just filler. (And yes I am even looking at you Half-Life 2) I am still waiting for monuments the size of F.E.A.R. (2005) and Crysis (2007).

First guys and gals... let's not just use tons of game acronyms in a row... people who have not played them won't know them (I don't know what sc2 is for example).

But, in reference to the above quote: I absolutely LOVED F.E.A.R and think it was and still is underrated. All of us probably play things other than action rpg's so I like hearing and naming things in other genres.

For slower paced, deep and relaxing games... all the final fantasy games are great.

I really hate turn based strategy but HIGHLY recommend Final Fantasy Tactics for those that like rpg games. Everything from the art to the experience has a touching magic to it.

I enjoyed Titan's Quest for action rpgs more than d2/torchlight/etc. Titan's Quest will be offline play (or so I believe) but occupied a happy time of life for me. The Baulder's Gate action games like Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance 2 are well reviewed action rpg's that are fun and keep you excited to get to the next area and get the next skill/weapon. They are for consoles. I wish the areas in POE had the good feel that the areas in Dark Alliance had... I loved just running around in them and didn't feel as threatened as in POE.

But, in general my best recommendation if you want good and deep games is to look as some games that have been around for a while and get involved with the mods for them. Morrowind, which is my favorite of all the Elders Scrolls games has TONS of downloadable content to make everything from the world, to graphics, to trade balance a great experience.

I was also deeply impressed with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl last year when I caught it on a cheap steam sale. It was just the right mix of FPS and RPG. With the mods from the community, including some ballistic ones I got to be the most accurate shooter and sneakiest thief of any game I've yet played. Made me feel like a true Delta force operative. It was the first game since D2 where I struggled with video game overplay issues.

Thanks for the Dark Souls tips! watched someone playing it on Twitch and oh boy is that made for Twitch... very soothing and rewarding just to watch. I would love to play those soon.

*Someone who has played Demon's Souls PM me and tell me if I should start with the first one or with the newest one!*
Playing Sacrifice of the Vaal at launch was peak living.
"
PaladinSMD wrote:
I play mostly PoE.

But when bored with PoE I play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series with the Stalker complete 2009 mod. Or when I just want to do it easy I Play Banished.

Thanks! I couldn't remember which Stalker mod I added on. It was the Stalker Complete mod along with the Realistic Weapons add on. Those 2 made the game just amazing. AND OH THE MUSIC... haunts my dreams still.
Playing Sacrifice of the Vaal at launch was peak living.
"
testinglk wrote:
"
rrtson wrote:

Yeah na, you can't block everything and it makes for a slow boring game.
Fighting Games.
Noblesse oblige
"
rrtson wrote:
"
testinglk wrote:
"
rrtson wrote:

Have you played the game(s)?

(1) Block requires stamina
(2) You can still get ambushed from behind while blocking (as in, when you get surrounded)

Unlike block in PoE (which is fucking OP), in Dark Souls it isn't automatic, nor is it infinite. You can only block for so long until you run out of Stamina and have to dodge/roll away/parry.

...don't be a complete idiot and you won't run out of stamina or get surrounded..............

and yes, it's pretty infinite with something like SKS and 40-50 end and grass crest on switch, considering most things will just straight up miss you as you can still sprint at full speed with block up...

I've beaten the game with a +15 bandit knife build (one of the worst weapons in the game) including dlc manus. trust me, block is ridiculous. in fact manus is just about the only thing in the game the requires you to press dodge, as you actually cannot sprint away from his long combo fast enough otherwise while maintaining a close enough distance to actually hit him

and yeah, blocking does make ds pretty boring. especially if you really tryhard it out and go like...SKS+SKS or BSS+SKS. just saying...all the foreboding and urgency and reward is entirely lost once you figure that out, cuz then it's just hold L1 when in doubt, and TROLOLOLOL godmode achieved, danger averted

great game though, nonetheless. really hoping they balance DS2 better without crutch one button godmode mechanics though
its called shield bash.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
elder scrolls
* Forum Avatar - $500USD
... -- Bex_GGG
titan quest is pretty cool... not incredibly amazing, but its quite like PoE/ diablo
but the hordes of monsters felt too sparse sometimes...

i like the items and skills they had in that game, some much moreso than path of exile's

the Lilith mod for it was pretty cool.. i didnt play it a whole lot, my LAN buddies got kinda sick of titan quest after our first playthrough...

although, really... i got quicker tired of path of exile i think... although, path of exile doesnt really have an "end" so we kept playing it quite alot..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info