why does people say ??

why do people tell you to get weapons with low base attack speed?

isnt it better if you have higher?
depends per build
It also depends on what you mean by 'attack speed'. If you mean attack rate (or attacks per second), then you want a high value. If you're looking at swing speed (time it takes to swing once), you want low values.

One exception: Sweep and Leap Slam use their own, fixed attack rate. A slow weapon hits as often as fast weapons do when using these Attacks. Slow weapons hit harder though, meaning they are pretty much always better.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It also depends on what you mean by 'attack speed'. If you mean attack rate (or attacks per second), then you want a high value. If you're looking at swing speed (time it takes to swing once), you want low values.

whats the difference? they are still attack speed just said differently.

"
IMKR wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:

whats the difference? they are still attack speed just said differently.

I think that's his point: you generally want high APS/low swing speed. If someone was talking about a weapon with a low attack time, but didn't specify, it can be confusing.

Another reason you might want lower APS is if you are having mana problems or problems with life costs. Faster attacks use up your mana more quickly.
"
nikheizen wrote:

I think that's his point: you generally want high APS/low swing speed.
[/quote]

but attack speed IS attack swing speeds. so how can you have high APS and low swing speed?

what your saying is contradicting itself.
Swing TIME instead of swing speed he means. Either way, you're getting way too picky about that, given how people just refer to it as attacks per second anyway. As for why people would prefer a slower weapon, it's already been said... Slower weapons means higher numbers, although almost certainly lower DPS. However, a slower weapon also means less gem-related attacks per second, which means less mana cost per second. I know I personally opted not to buy a Lioneye's at 1.7-8 speed to replace my 1.2 speed bow simply because the mana cost per second of Frenzy is ridiculous.
"
IMKR wrote:
but attack speed IS attack swing speeds. so how can you have high APS and low swing speed?

what your saying is contradicting itself.

Alright, I made an error, ignore the swing speed thing. We're talking attack time or cast time.
If it takes half a second to attack(0.5 attack/casttime) then you attack twice per second(2.0 attacks/casts/swings per second).
If it takes a quarter of a second to attack(0.25 attack/cast time) then you attack four times per second(4.0 attacks/casts/swings per second).

0.25 attack time is lower than 0.5 attack time, whilst 4.0 attacks per second is higher than 2.0 attacks per second. Thus you have a lower attack time and a higher number of attacks per second.

This is the possible misconception Vipermagi was trying to clear up.
"
Vipermagi wrote:

One exception: Sweep and Leap Slam use their own, fixed attack rate. A slow weapon hits as often as fast weapons do when using these Attacks. Slow weapons hit harder though, meaning they are pretty much always better.

This isn't true, while leap slam doesn't attack at the exact same speed as your weapons, it is modified by the speed of your weapon.:

"Attack Speed: Leap Slam has its own duration (1.4 Seconds), which is modified by, but not equal to, the player's attack speed." ~http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Leap_Slam
"
Millacus wrote:
This isn't true, while leap slam doesn't attack at the exact same speed as your weapons, it is modified by the speed of your weapon.:

Only by Increased Attack Speed modifiers, just like every other Attack Skill in the game. Base Weapon Speed makes no difference whatsoever.
(works in the same way, too: on-Weapon IAS applies multiplicatively)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info