"Is the game already dead" posts

"
Charan wrote:
"
mazul wrote:

It is very much practical to let private forums have a very high degree of freedom, even more so than we currently have in this forum.

I didn't say private, I said privately owned. Extremely significant difference. I think you can figure it out.

That's the very same "private" I intended to refer to:

From dictionary.com:

pri·vate [prahy-vit] Show IPA
adjective
belonging to some particular person: private property.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
mazul wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
"
mazul wrote:

It is very much practical to let private forums have a very high degree of freedom, even more so than we currently have in this forum.

I didn't say private, I said privately owned. Extremely significant difference. I think you can figure it out.

From dictionary.com:

adjective

Fair enough. So we're assuming it's privately owned but publicly available.

I don't see why it's practical to let those have 'a very high degree of freedom' when we can assume the privately-owned, publicly-available forum wants to seem professional and possessing standards that tell the user 'you are safe and welcome here' rather than 'you may get punched in the face repeatedly and we're just going to let that happen'.

I suppose that became a pub/bar metaphor somewhere along the way, which is neither original nor inappropriate.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 21, 2014, 5:15:45 PM
"
Charan wrote:
"
mazul wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
(...)

From dictionary.com:

adjective

Fair enough. So we're assuming it's privately owned but publicly available.

I don't see why it's practical to let those have 'a very high degree of freedom' when we can assume the privately-owned, publicly-available forum wants to seem professional and possessing standards that tell the user 'you are safe and welcome here' rather than 'you may get punched in the face repeatedly and we're just going to let that happen'.

I suppose that became a pub/bar metaphor somewhere along the way, which is neither original not inappropriate.

We differ in opinions of what "you are safe and welcome here" means. I very much think that it is important to let every forum poster feel safe in the sense that anything they post is highly unlikely to be censored.

I also think that allowing its player base to express their opinions as freely as possible, is a sign of very high "freedom standards".

Being censored is very much a sign of "you are not welcome here".

Reading opinions which one strongly disagree with (even if those opinions are presented through hyperbole and insults), is not the same as being "punched in the face". One could always think for oneself: "what an asshole" and move on, while a punch in the face may very well have severe physical consequences.

I do want to point out, that I would not hold the same opinion about censorship if there were children involved or if the forum is intended to be child friendly. Children are very impressionable and can definitely not be expected to just "shrug off" what they read. I do not know if this forum is intended to be child-friendly, but I do hope it isn't.

Note: None of this was intended to be an insult, although I understand one may read some sentences as such.

This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
mazul wrote:

We differ in opinions of what "you are safe and welcome here" means. I very much think that it is important to let every forum poster feel safe in the sense that anything they post is highly unlikely to be censored.

I also think that allowing its player base to express their opinions as freely as possible, is a sign of very high "freedom standards".

Reading opinions which one strongly disagree with (even if those opinions are presented through hyperbole and insults), is not the same as being "punched in the face". One could always think for oneself: "what an asshole" and move on, while a punch in the face may very well have severe physical consequences.

I do want to point out, that I would not hold the same opinion about censorship if there were children involved or if the forum is intended to be child friendly. Children are very impressionable and can definitely not be expected to just "shrug off" what they read. I do not know if this forum is intended to be child-friendly, but I do hope it isn't.

Note: None of this was intended to be an insult, although I understand one may read some sentences as such.

Who we are, is but a product of our genetics and experience. We internalize patterns we (either knowingly or unknowingly) see in others. This knowledge is the basis of a subtle form of influence, and the minority of people IMO do not have this knowledge. Those who use it either consciously, subconsciously, or by accident can corrupt the populace with falsehoods, poor behavior, or fabricate emotional connections. In essence, manipulating who we are and what/how we think.

This is one of the reasons why censorship can be a good and positive thing. But of course its like any tool, neither good nor bad on its own (Only how its used, and for what purpose).

This is a new world we live in today. As more and more knowledge about our minds and our world is discovered...and how to utilize them more effectively, we should be willing to adopt these new technologies. Tradition and paradigms of the past may retard our advancement, but if we fail to change the course laid down by the nuclear superpowers of the world, then nothing will matter whatsoever. But i digress. Talking of he eminent demise of our race is not exactly considered 'acceptable behavior'.

'Freedom' as an ideal... I was once a strong supporter of it, and of individuality. But now i realize how naive and limited that perspective is. It is a flawed concept, a vagary concealed behind ambiguity and supported by generations of propaganda. I suggest everyone consider it. What EXACTLY does freedom mean? What exceptions are there and why? What are the repercussions? In the end it is used as just another word to motivate, manipulate, and control people. I hope you all appreciate the irony.

In GGG's forum, shouldnt they have the freedom to rule as they see fit?
If you limit 'freedom' to just 'freedom of speech', then you are still left with allowing people to influence, hurt, and corrupt others. You can throw patches onto the gaping holes of 'freedom of speech' to haphazardly prevent such harm. But where is the line? Who decides on the line? Nay, 'freedom of speech' is flawed and inadequate to describe what we really want. We need a new word which gives us the 'freedom to express ourselves in a positive way with an eye on its repercussions'.

Truly, posts of 'POE is dying' are not such a huge deal. But you have to ask yourself, what is the motivation of one who would post such a thing? Someone simply wants negativity associated with poe. It is their way to gather support for further attacks upon GGG.

I hope everyone understands me here. We dont need hate, we need unity through the understanding of each other...on every level.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Apr 21, 2014, 12:14:19 PM
Sky, if you want people to listen, really listen, you can't sound so pompous. All that does is cause resentment.
"
Mivo wrote:
Sky, if you want people to listen, really listen, you can't sound so pompous. All that does is cause resentment.

People who refuse to listen because they dont like how the message is delivered dont deserve to accept it.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
SkyCore wrote:
"
Mivo wrote:

People who refuse to listen because they dont like how the message is delivered dont deserve to accept it.

Well, this might mean nothing given how I apparently come across, but I didn't see anything pompous in your post. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
If you reach only those who agree, nothing changes.

But it's all moot anyway. I think the Tao Te Ching nails it when it expresses in various ways that the "sage" doesn't talk about it, but lives it and gets out of the way. It's hard to pull off in a society that emphasizes trying to "make" other people change, though, when there is such a focus on right and wrong, good and bad.

I think I got to a point where I feel that everyone is just fine the way they are. That is who they are, now. Tomorrow, they may be someone else, and that will be all right, too.
"
mazul wrote:

We do indeed differ in our opinions of 'welcome'. But I made the transition from young, entitled, drunken pub-crawler to world-weary bouncer long ago, so is that really any surprise? :)

Compared to many fora, you DO have a large degree of personal freedom to express yourself here, even now. It was that very freedom that attracted me to the place, and that very freedom that saw me take on the role of moderator so long ago now. Had GGG run this place as tightly and strictly as I've seen elsewhere, I'd never have bothered. I like that I can use adult language and have a mind of my own and express it whenever I wish -- but I equally like that instigators and trolls (by troll here I mean the purest sense of the word: troublemakers with no other agenda) were NOT tolerated and that we could deal with them in rather creative, original ways.

And it worked very well, at least for a smaller crowd such as we had in the Closed Beta. Open Beta and beyond required a broader system of moderation, which has, like or not, degraded in quality simply because it's no longer people who are doing it simply because they care. Now it's about a paycheque and roster duties and rotation. There is no avoiding a reduction in passion for the 'job' once that happens.

But as a result, there has been consistency. We now have guidelines. That word is carefully chosen, too: not rules, not prohibitions -- guidelines. That alone gives Support some measure of flexibility, although they rarely exercise it.

I strongly disagree with the 'removed by support' methodology wherein people are censored without any explanation. For a while, some Support members were stating which guideline had been breached with the censorship, which I thought was a nice touch. At least we knew then which direction the person had taken to warrant censorship. I'm guessing that was too much work for some of the Support people, and here I am definitely hesitating before actually typing 'drones'.

It is an appropriate word though. They have no real power. They're told what to do, and they do it. This is problematic to me in that sometimes you HAVE to be creative and original when dealing with forum conflict and, like or not, fairly intelligent instigators.

So yes, the censorship option is generally lazy but efficient. It's a mark of a system being enforced by people who don't really engage with the material at hand -- but that isn't entirely Support's fault. Like I said, they have a job to do, and they're told how to do it. Some of them would likely very much appreciate the chance to do more than just censor, but it is the path chosen. And it is effective for stopping escalating situations dead in their tracks.

You have to trust that system though -- else you can easily imagine that each 'RBS' is nothing more than contra-GGG sentiments being removed by a tyrannical fist of thought control. Without that trust, you might as well not even post here. For you, there was a war and it was lost. Big Brother won. Love Him or leave. Orwell left no other options there. That and, well, if you're that bothered by totalitarian censorship, you could probably apply that energy in more significant arenas than a computer game's official forum.

I don't see it as totalitarian, just pseudo-automated and thus prone to errors. Easiest way to not fall through those gaping cracks is to not come close to breaching the guidelines. It's difficult, which is why Chris put up that 'no hateful posts' addendum (which worked for about two days) -- there's a line in there about people trying to defend the game against antagonists getting put on probation as a result. Yeah, no real surprises who that's about. It's difficult but not impossible. Thousands of forum users do it everyday.

They are, to bring it to a close, 'welcome here'.

As for the children bit, well, there's no real way of policing that either. This is supposed to be a 16+ game, legally, but we all know that's probably being breached left and right. It's not like people can be carded upon entry.

of course this game is dead more people play terraria than this disaster of a game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info