Client Performance (Updated June 16)

"
Caydellass wrote:
So are you guys finally going to fix the issues with the engine when playing on an ATI/AMD based system? 'Cause that has been a plight for me since day 1.

I don't think there is an issue specifically with those systems. As far as I know the issue is a general optimization issue that you can see occurring on "older computers" in terms of frame drops when there are many visual effects on the screen.

"
Islidox wrote:

- Encountering spells/skill effects for the first time: I'm not sure why this is still an issue, but it is an issue for me when an ally or enemy activates a skill for the first time and I get a momentary screen freeze due to the loading of said effects. This is especially noticeable on particle heavy skills like Firestorm or Summon Skeletons and the ilk. Hopefully this also gets worked on the near future as well.

This is the same issue, related to optimization of skill effects

"
cronus wrote:
my computer running an intel i7 with 8GB ram and a gtx570 card really had problems displaying normal game content and in parties frame rates sometimes dropped to unplayable levels. the card had even problems displaying some effects from mictrotransactions of players just standing in town.

after i upgraded my harddisk to an ssd and my gfx card to a gtx780 all is fine. i'm first in new map instances, wheather effects don't bother me and in parties the frame rate rarely drops below 60 fps.

with one exclusion: some guy had the new spiky ground slam - skill combined with "increased area of effect" or something which made my framerate go down to 5 dps.

@hilbert: computational effects destroying hardware is bullshit, if a card can't compute some effects it either overheats which results in the gpu to slow down itself and/or the framerate just drops.

if you have a bad cooling system in your rig which results in the gpu running on the temperature limit all the time you surely can decrease the life expectancy of your graphics card, but thats your rig being crappy and not the game's fault.

Improved FPS after installing the game on a SSD seems strange. This should improve loading times.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "computional effects" but software can in theory destroy hardware. We've seen this for example when the US goverment deployed mailware on Iranian nuclear plants.
Anyway in terms of Path of Exile, you're right. If the GPU can't handle the game it will not be destroyed, lol.
When there is a cooling problem, the GPU will in general just crash or the "restart" (driver reset).
So you're telling me that when I'm running maps with no weather effects, and don't have heavy skill effects going on, that my random frame drops on a build that isn't a year old is a "general optimization issue?"

I know several players who had been having problems with their AMD builds, switched to a Nvidia card and now get 60 FPS steady.
Last edited by Caydellass on Apr 23, 2014, 10:56:05 PM
"
"
sidtherat wrote:

im pretty sure that existing maphacks can tell you if map has an corrupted area/strongbox already

They've said they're working to remedy that/deliver map/chunk data in segments as you explore instead of all at once the instant you enter a zone.

'we are working on it' means nothing these days. they are working on desync for 3-4years already? ati/amd cards for similar time? etc.

im not interested in what they 'are working on it' as this is simply polite way of shoving people off. im interested in effects of such work and there are NONE.
"
Caydellass wrote:
So you're telling me that when I'm running maps with no weather effects, and don't have heavy skill effects going on, that my random frame drops on a build that isn't a year old is a "general optimization issue?"

I know several players who had been having problems with their AMD builds, switched to a Nvidia card and now get 60 FPS steady.

As I said: As far as I know these frame drops are the result of poor optimization that manifests typically on older computers.

I'm unaware of problems specifically related to AMD cards and you?

I experienced those same FPS drops on my old Intel Dual Core with AMD HD4850

Now I have an Intel i5 Haswell with AMD R9 290 and problems are solved.

BTW: I believe GGG actually tried replicating performance issues using system they specifically setup for testing purposes. I don't think they've been able to reproduce or to pinpoint the issue specifically to AMD cards, not sure if that's still up to date though...
Last edited by Startkabels on Apr 24, 2014, 2:55:51 PM
One thing I will say about optimization problems. I can generate a flash swf for you that will totally drain your BEST computers after running 2-3 mins. And it wont be because you computer sucks, it will be because I simply overloaded the stage with layers of effects overlapping layers of effects carelessly.

Bottomline, there is a reason PoE runs smoothly in some areas, and totally gets unstable performance in Act3X. Same thing can be said for summon effects, party play, and certain skill effect combinations.

Most effects produced are not made with mindset that they will be just a portion of what is on the stage, and more importantly they are not develop with the increased skill/attack/multiple projectile modifiers players use.
Has i7 4770k overclocked to 4.8ghz, thread 1 runs at 100%. Gpu usage (r9 290) max 66% and frame rate drop under 10 with CoCs and such in party. Also patches of fire gives instant -50fps (from 120 to 70).

Please consider making stuff more gpu heavy as now only way to improve performance is suicide voltage and liquid nitrogen (lol)
I'd rather buy another or even 3rd gpu instead!

Oh and give us option to load ALL effects ready, / command or something. I don't mind waiting for a little bit longer on 1st loading screen if it reduces lagspikes. 10 seconds or even minute, I don't care. Strongboxes, skeletons, arctic breath etc are pain in the ass :p
Last edited by Jyssi on Apr 25, 2014, 3:12:52 AM
Initial game loading time is terrible. Game is on ramdisk with 4770k. Loading time is around 2-3 minutes.
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
"
jstq wrote:
Initial game loading time is terrible. Game is on ramdisk with 4770k. Loading time is around 2-3 minutes.
2-3 minutes from ramdisk? how the f? My game resides on ssd, loading time is less that minute (usually around 30 sec)
oh wait... don't tell me you've used all the possible ram for ramdisk...
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
5 gb from 16 gb
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
"
Oh and give us option to load ALL effects ready, / command or something. I don't mind waiting for a little bit longer on 1st loading screen if it reduces lag spikes. 10 seconds or even minute, I don't care. Strongboxes, skeletons, arctic breath etc are pain in the ass :p

They can't, it's a 32bit game and I don't think they've enabled the Large Address Aware flag either so it's limited to using only 2GB of RAM even if you have more.

"
jstq wrote:
5 gb from 16 gb

How large is your GGPK file? If it is significantly larger than 4.8GB then you should either delete it and redownload it or use the GGPK Defragmenter (Search the forum for it).

The games patcher does a poor job when it comes to patching the GGPK file, it doesn't remove obsolete data. This means that it takes more time to search the file for relevant data.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on May 6, 2014, 11:09:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info