My last feedback

It's been quite a while that I've been around, almost 3 years now, but I guess it's finally time to call it a day, or at least take a very prolonged break from this game. I'm sitting at lvl 78 in Invasion with absolutely no will and incentive to continue forward or to reroll for the nth time.

I've given a lot of feeback during this time, mostly about the drop rates and unrewarding gameplay. I've been very vocal about my dissatisfaction with the current state of the game, which even got me kicked out of my guild. I don't feel I've accomplished much by giving all this feedback, but as a PoE beta player, giving feedback was something you just do.

Recently, I had a chance to guide a completely new player through game, which I already summed up here. To make another summary of that, If you'd ask me if I'd recommend PoE to any of my friends, the answer would sadly be no. No matter how briliant it can be at times, it's just not worth the time and efforts. As I correctly predicted, my friend got fed up somewhere late Cruel due to unrewarding gameplay, with a total of 0 out of 237 uniques that dropped for him during our run. I'll just empasize that again – during our slow and methodical run through Normal and Cruel, we got exactly 0 uniques that could be considered as upgrades at that point and that would incite a 'wow that's a nice item' feeling. Also, almost no rares that were better than the junk I collected with my previous character on Ambush.

I think for a long time both CB players and GGG had the same destination and knew the way how to get there. But during all this time, something changed. We continued with our planned route, but GGG went sidetracking. And their sidetracking has recently culminated in a string of bad decisions, starting with lackluster new additions to the game, bad balancing, content gating, RNG upon RNG, non-existant Q&A, killing of alpha realm, MMO raid like quests in hack'n'slash and so on...It makes me sad because the game has/had immense potential and can be briliant at times, but all in all it's not quite there where it should have been.

I really don't mind the money I spent on this game, I'm glad I did and I hope GGG put it to good use, but I do feel I've wasted my time playing the game these few years. And I think PoE is actually the only game I would say that about. I'm fairly unhappy with my achievements in this game, regarding the amount of content that I experienced and number of fun builds that I had a chance to experiment with. A lot of builds are tied to uniques and hence are out of reach, or at least they were for me. I am at a point where I see a cool unique like Mjolnir and just think to myself, what's the point, it's not like you'll ever get it.

I'll just end it with a list of uniques that dropped for me in these 3 years, and list of uniques that didn't drop. I think it speaks for itself regarding the drop rates and what kind of builds I could try. I'd say I consider only one of my 20ish characters to be really pushed to the end - concept, gear and skill wise.

Anyways, best of luck to GGG, I hope you have a lot of success in your careers, and hopefully one day there's going to be 'Significantly increased drop rates of Unique items' in the patch notes, which would be reason enough for me to give it another go.

To my ex-guildes, you're ok dudes, except the guy who kicked me out. That shit hurt, you know...

Uniques that dropped - 109
The Anvil
Araku Tiki
Astramentis
Carnage Heart
Daresso's Salute
The Ignomon
Karui Ward
Sidhebreath
Stone of Lazhwar
The Magnate
Perandus Blazon
Sunblast
Wurm's Molt
Andvarius
Blackheart
Doedre's Damning
Kaom's Sign
Blackgleam
Broadstroke
Ambu's Charge
Bramblejack
Briskwrap
Cloak of Flame
The Covenant
Foxshade
Icetomb
Infernal Mantle
Lightbane Raiment
Thousand Ribbons
Voll's Protector
Zahndethus' Cassock
Bones of Ullr
Darkray Vectors
Deerstalker
Goldwyrm
Lioneye's Paws
Ondar's Flight
Rainbowstride
Shavronne's Pace
Sin Trek
Sundance
Wanderlust
Wondertrap
Asenath's Gentle Touch
Aurseize
Meginord's Vise
Doedre's Tenure
Facebreaker
Hrimsorrow
Lochtonial Caress
Ondar's Clasp
Sadima's Touch
Slitherpinch
Asenath's Mark
Crown of Thorns
Deidbell
Ezomyte Peak
Fairgraves' Tricorne
Geofri's Crest
Goldrim
Heatshiver
Honourhome
Hrimnor's Resolve
Mindspiral
The Peregrine
Chernobog's Pillar
Crest of Perandus
Kaltenhalt
Rathpith Globe
Rise of the Phoenix
Saffell's Frame
Springleaf
Titucius' Span
The Screaming Eagle
Kaom's Primacy
Limbsplit
Reaper's Pursuit
Wideswing
Chin Sol
Darkscorn
Death's Harp
Quill Rain
Silverbranch
Storm Cloud
Al Dhih
Essentia Sanguis
Last Resort
Mightflay
Ungil's Gauche
The Supreme Truth
Geofri's Baptism
Hrimnor's Hymn
Voidhome
Aurumvorax
Prismatic Eclipse
Redbeak
Queen's Decree
Rigvald's Charge
Shiversting
Dying Breath
Pillar of the Caged God
The Searing Touch
Moonsorrow
Acton's Nightmare
The Coward's Trial
Maelström of Chaos
Poorjoy's Asylum
Vaults of Atziri
Voideye

Uniques that didn't drop - 122
Atziri's Foible
Eye of Chayula
Marylene's Fallacy
Victario's Acuity
Voll's Devotion
Auxium
Doryani's Invitation
Headhunter
Immortal Flesh
Meginord's Girdle
Berek's Grip
Berek's Pass
Berek's Respite
Death Rush
Dream Fragments
Gifts from Above
Le Heup of All
Lori's Lantern
Ming's Heart
Perandus Signet
Romira's Banquet
Shavronne's Revelation
The Taming
Thief's Torment
Drillneck
Hyrri's Bite
Rearguard
Ashrend
Belly of the Beast
Bronn's Lithe
Carcass Jack
Cloak of Defiance
Daresso's Defiance
Death's Oath
Hyrri's Ire
Incandescent Heart
Kaom's Heart
Lightning Coil
Queen of the Forest
Shavronne's Wrappings
Solaris Lorica
Soul Mantle
Tabula Rasa
Vis Mortis
Alberon's Warpath
Atziri's Step
The Blood Dance
Dusktoe
Wake of Destruction
Windscream
Atziri's Acuity
Voidbringer
Maligaro's Virtuosity
Shackles of the Wretched
Snakebite
Thunderfist
Vaal Caress
Abyssus
Alpha's Howl
The Bringer of Rain
Chitus' Apex
Crown of Eyes
Devoto's Devotion
The Gull
Leer Cast
Malachai's Simula
Rat's Nest
Rime Gaze
Skullhead
Starkonja's Head
The Three Dragons
Veil of the Night
The Vertex
Aegis Aurora
Atziri's Mirror
Daresso's Courage
Lioneye's Remorse
Matua Tupuna
Prism Guardian
Wheel of the Stormsail
Soul Taker
Dyadus
Atziri's Disfavour
The Blood Reaper
Wings of Entropy
Infractem
Lioneye's Glare
Voltaxic Rift
Windripper
Bloodseeker
Cybil's Paw
Mortem Morsu
Bino's Kitchen Knife
Divinarius
Heartbreaker
Brightbeak
Doon Cuebiyari
Mjölner
Mon'tregul's Grasp
Nycta's Lantern
Doryani's Catalyst
Chober Chaber
Kongor's Undying Rage
Marohi Erqi
Quecholli
Ephemeral Edge
The Goddess Bound
Rebuke of the Vaal
Oro's Sacrifice
Terminus Est
Fencoil
Taryn's Shiver
Lifesprig
Midnight Bargain
Void Battery
Atziri's Promise
Blood of the Karui
Divination Distillate
Doedre's Elixir
Lavianga's Spirit
Mao Kun
Olmec's Sanctum

Exalts and Eternals dropped

5-6 Exalts
0 Eternals

Oh yeah, about my last feedback...'Significantly (and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY) increase drop rates of Unique items'.
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Odoakar wrote:

I really don't mind the money I spent on this game, I'm glad I did and I hope GGG put it to good use, but I do feel I've wasted my time playing the game these few years. And I think PoE is actually the only game I would say that about. I'm fairly unhappy with my achievements in this game, regarding the amount of content that I experienced and number of fun builds that I had a chance to experiment with. A lot of builds are tied to uniques and hence are out of reach, or at least they were for me. I am at a point where I see a cool unique like Mjolnir and just think to myself, what's the point, it's not like you'll ever get it.

I can definitly relate to the bolded part. It really saps your will to play when you realize that there are lots of cool builds out there, but you wont ever be able to play any of them, unless you trade/flip. I guess its trade or GTFO.

I've only been playing since the start of OB so its been about a year for me, and my list of uniques found is much much shorter than yours. Your list is like a window into the future for me, If I were to continue playing I might eventually achieve that impressive list of mostly useless unique items(lol).

Sacrifice of the Vaal was the nail in the coffin for me. I was looking forward to new content, and instead we get more RNG and an uber boss that I'll never even see. GGG needs to stop listening to streamers and get back in touch with the majority of people who play their game.
Last edited by Mephasm on Apr 17, 2014, 4:25:11 PM
"
Odoakar wrote:
To make another summary of that, If you'd ask me if I'd recommend PoE to any of my friends, the answer would sadly be no. No matter how briliant it can be at times, it's just not worth the time and efforts. As I correctly predicted, my friend got fed up somewhere late Cruel due to unrewarding gameplay, with a total of 0 out of 237 uniques that dropped for him during our run. I'll just empasize that again – during our slow and methodical run through Normal and Cruel, we got exactly 0 uniques that could be considered as upgrades at that point and that would incite a 'wow that's a nice item' feeling. Also, almost no rares that were better than the junk I collected with my previous character on Ambush.

I think for a long time both CB players and GGG had the same destination and knew the way how to get there. But during all this time, something changed. We continued with our planned route, but GGG went sidetracking. And their sidetracking has recently culminated in a string of bad decisions, starting with lackluster new additions to the game, bad balancing, content gating, RNG upon RNG, non-existant Q&A, killing of alpha realm, MMO raid like quests in hack'n'slash and so on...It makes me sad because the game has/had immense potential and can be briliant at times, but all in all it's not quite there where it should have been.

Oh yeah, about my last feedback...'Significantly (and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY) increase drop rates of Unique items'.

I have to agree. I literally would never recommend this game to anyone and I would further conjecture that literally all the players who actually play the game for long periods (non-streamer/rmt/trade barons) probably have something wrong with them that allows them to do it where 90% of people would logically stop playing (I'm autistic).

I've actually gotten so fed up with GGG's poor balancing I've stopped making characters that attempt to survive at all and go full glass cannon and just necro through content.

And drops are literally a joke. Uniques need to be greatly increased and non-unique item quality has to be increased.

And the way most monsters deal damage is far too binary it's ridiculous. You either lolfaceroll or get killed in less than a second.

But what can you do. I mean I still like it obviously but there are so many obviously bad facepalm decisions that it just makes me wonder who the hell could ok some of this stuff.

Also MF and CoC has to be removed from the game. They are soo far off balance there is no fixing it.
Spoiler

"
Odoakar wrote:
It's been quite a while that I've been around, almost 3 years now, but I guess it's finally time to call it a day, or at least take a very prolonged break from this game. I'm sitting at lvl 78 in Invasion with absolutely no will and incentive to continue forward or to reroll for the nth time.

I've given a lot of feeback during this time, mostly about the drop rates and unrewarding gameplay. I've been very vocal about my dissatisfaction with the current state of the game, which even got me kicked out of my guild. I don't feel I've accomplished much by giving all this feedback, but as a PoE beta player, giving feedback was something you just do.

Recently, I had a chance to guide a completely new player through game, which I already summed up here. To make another summary of that, If you'd ask me if I'd recommend PoE to any of my friends, the answer would sadly be no. No matter how briliant it can be at times, it's just not worth the time and efforts. As I correctly predicted, my friend got fed up somewhere late Cruel due to unrewarding gameplay, with a total of 0 out of 237 uniques that dropped for him during our run. I'll just empasize that again – during our slow and methodical run through Normal and Cruel, we got exactly 0 uniques that could be considered as upgrades at that point and that would incite a 'wow that's a nice item' feeling. Also, almost no rares that were better than the junk I collected with my previous character on Ambush.

I'll just end it with a list of uniques that dropped for me in these 3 years, and list of uniques that didn't drop. I think it speaks for itself regarding the drop rates and what kind of builds I could try. I'd say I consider only one of my 20ish characters to be really pushed to the end - concept, gear and skill wise.

Anyways, best of luck to GGG, I hope you have a lot of success in your careers, and hopefully one day there's going to be 'Significantly increased drop rates of Unique items' in the patch notes, which would be reason enough for me to give it another go.

To my ex-guildes, you're ok dudes, except the guy who kicked me out. That shit hurt, you know...

Uniques that dropped - 109
The Anvil
Araku Tiki
Astramentis
Carnage Heart
Daresso's Salute
The Ignomon
Karui Ward
Sidhebreath
Stone of Lazhwar
The Magnate
Perandus Blazon
Sunblast
Wurm's Molt
Andvarius
Blackheart
Doedre's Damning
Kaom's Sign
Blackgleam
Broadstroke
Ambu's Charge
Bramblejack
Briskwrap
Cloak of Flame
The Covenant
Foxshade
Icetomb
Infernal Mantle
Lightbane Raiment
Thousand Ribbons
Voll's Protector
Zahndethus' Cassock
Bones of Ullr
Darkray Vectors
Deerstalker
Goldwyrm
Lioneye's Paws
Ondar's Flight
Rainbowstride
Shavronne's Pace
Sin Trek
Sundance
Wanderlust
Wondertrap
Asenath's Gentle Touch
Aurseize
Meginord's Vise
Doedre's Tenure
Facebreaker
Hrimsorrow
Lochtonial Caress
Ondar's Clasp
Sadima's Touch
Slitherpinch
Asenath's Mark
Crown of Thorns
Deidbell
Ezomyte Peak
Fairgraves' Tricorne
Geofri's Crest
Goldrim
Heatshiver
Honourhome
Hrimnor's Resolve
Mindspiral
The Peregrine
Chernobog's Pillar
Crest of Perandus
Kaltenhalt
Rathpith Globe
Rise of the Phoenix
Saffell's Frame
Springleaf
Titucius' Span
The Screaming Eagle
Kaom's Primacy
Limbsplit
Reaper's Pursuit
Wideswing
Chin Sol
Darkscorn
Death's Harp
Quill Rain
Silverbranch
Storm Cloud
Al Dhih
Essentia Sanguis
Last Resort
Mightflay
Ungil's Gauche
The Supreme Truth
Geofri's Baptism
Hrimnor's Hymn
Voidhome
Aurumvorax
Prismatic Eclipse
Redbeak
Queen's Decree
Rigvald's Charge
Shiversting
Dying Breath
Pillar of the Caged God
The Searing Touch
Moonsorrow
Acton's Nightmare
The Coward's Trial
Maelström of Chaos
Poorjoy's Asylum
Vaults of Atziri
Voideye

Uniques that didn't drop - 122
Atziri's Foible
Eye of Chayula
Marylene's Fallacy
Victario's Acuity
Voll's Devotion
Auxium
Doryani's Invitation
Headhunter
Immortal Flesh
Meginord's Girdle
Berek's Grip
Berek's Pass
Berek's Respite
Death Rush
Dream Fragments
Gifts from Above
Le Heup of All
Lori's Lantern
Ming's Heart
Perandus Signet
Romira's Banquet
Shavronne's Revelation
The Taming
Thief's Torment
Drillneck
Hyrri's Bite
Rearguard
Ashrend
Belly of the Beast
Bronn's Lithe
Carcass Jack
Cloak of Defiance
Daresso's Defiance
Death's Oath
Hyrri's Ire
Incandescent Heart
Kaom's Heart
Lightning Coil
Queen of the Forest
Shavronne's Wrappings
Solaris Lorica
Soul Mantle
Tabula Rasa
Vis Mortis
Alberon's Warpath
Atziri's Step
The Blood Dance
Dusktoe
Wake of Destruction
Windscream
Atziri's Acuity
Voidbringer
Maligaro's Virtuosity
Shackles of the Wretched
Snakebite
Thunderfist
Vaal Caress
Abyssus
Alpha's Howl
The Bringer of Rain
Chitus' Apex
Crown of Eyes
Devoto's Devotion
The Gull
Leer Cast
Malachai's Simula
Rat's Nest
Rime Gaze
Skullhead
Starkonja's Head
The Three Dragons
Veil of the Night
The Vertex
Aegis Aurora
Atziri's Mirror
Daresso's Courage
Lioneye's Remorse
Matua Tupuna
Prism Guardian
Wheel of the Stormsail
Soul Taker
Dyadus
Atziri's Disfavour
The Blood Reaper
Wings of Entropy
Infractem
Lioneye's Glare
Voltaxic Rift
Windripper
Bloodseeker
Cybil's Paw
Mortem Morsu
Bino's Kitchen Knife
Divinarius
Heartbreaker
Brightbeak
Doon Cuebiyari
Mjölner
Mon'tregul's Grasp
Nycta's Lantern
Doryani's Catalyst
Chober Chaber
Kongor's Undying Rage
Marohi Erqi
Quecholli
Ephemeral Edge
The Goddess Bound
Rebuke of the Vaal
Oro's Sacrifice
Terminus Est
Fencoil
Taryn's Shiver
Lifesprig
Midnight Bargain
Void Battery
Atziri's Promise
Blood of the Karui
Divination Distillate
Doedre's Elixir
Lavianga's Spirit
Mao Kun
Olmec's Sanctum

Exalts and Eternals dropped

5-6 Exalts
0 Eternals

I totally agree....the game is so unrewarding and thus pretty fast pretty boring once u reach the higher levels AND also very boring in the beginning cuz when u start the game the skills feel clunky and tedious to use and very ineffective and no support gems....ah well...funpart for me was usually between lvl 33 to maximum 70. I will buy Grim Dawn or try Reaper of Souls. PoE feels too much like I have another job besides the real life one.
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Last edited by Antigegner on Apr 17, 2014, 10:35:49 PM
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
Odoakar wrote:
To make another summary of that, If you'd ask me if I'd recommend PoE to any of my friends, the answer would sadly be no. No matter how briliant it can be at times, it's just not worth the time and efforts. As I correctly predicted, my friend got fed up somewhere late Cruel due to unrewarding gameplay, with a total of 0 out of 237 uniques that dropped for him during our run. I'll just empasize that again – during our slow and methodical run through Normal and Cruel, we got exactly 0 uniques that could be considered as upgrades at that point and that would incite a 'wow that's a nice item' feeling. Also, almost no rares that were better than the junk I collected with my previous character on Ambush.

I have to agree. I literally would never recommend this game to anyone and I would further conjecture that literally all the players who actually play the game for long periods (non-streamer/rmt/trade barons) probably have something wrong with them that allows them to do it where 90% of people would logically stop playing (I'm autistic).

I've actually gotten so fed up with GGG's poor balancing I've stopped making characters that attempt to survive at all and go full glass cannon and just necro through content.

And drops are literally a joke. Uniques need to be greatly increased and non-unique item quality has to be increased.

And the way most monsters deal damage is far too binary it's ridiculous. You either lolfaceroll or get killed in less than a second.

But what can you do. I mean I still like it obviously but there are so many obviously bad facepalm decisions that it just makes me wonder who the hell could ok some of this stuff.

Also MF and CoC has to be removed from the game. They are soo far off balance there is no fixing it.

I would recommend the normal difficulty to anyone. The game holds up very well for that part, the gameplay is spot on, the passive tree is brilliantly designed, the music and the graphics are very good as well. It definitely deserves to be played.

After that, the game falls apart. As soon as you revisit content, the game gets to rely on an item and loot system that is out of control and does what it wants to.
I don't think it was even designed, it just happened. It was seemingly concieved solely from ideas of economic theory and not with purposeful design, player psychology and reward in mind. Economic systems regulate themselves to a great degree. Reward systems however are engineered products that rely on psychological groundwork that is disconnected from rationality. They rely on classical and operational conditioning to work. They connect to deep desires of players. They are not a market. The game pays for this oversight dearly later on.

A lot of things come together that makes the game basically impossible to balance in the late game. Or to make it fun. I don't actually want to use the word balance here. There is this notion here that everything can (and should) be balanced, that there is a golden middle ground, a butter zone where it's just right and fun. That's not the case. If you have a badly designed system, the golden middle inherits the worst of both worlds and none of the good traits. Like a Venn diagram where two circles don't even intersect. You are in the middle of nowhere. Then what are you going to do? You can balance tweak bad mechanics all you want, your levers won't do anything.

A well designed game doesn't need that much balancing, it will work regardless, especially if players are having a good time. Players are forgiving if they are having a blast.
It's okay for a game to have difficult and easy parts.
D2's difficulty curve looked like a tour de france height map. Nightmare difficulty was easier than normal difficulty. No one cared.
This high focus on balancing points to deeper issues.

I wouldn't call for balancing but rather for a teleological examination of what the various systems in POE do and how they turned out. What is rewarded and what role does this put the player in? Is that a role the player wants to be in? What is the purpose of these systems and how is that achieved? What were the consequences of previous balance decisions and how did players respond? And how did we respond to these responses?

Interesting, some of those unique you haven't found are rather common. I myself did something similar to this. While my list of found unique is longer, I still have never found a midnight bargain. Probably want one just because of how popular they were in CB.

One of the things I've been asking them to do lately is re balance the rarity of quite a few unique. Some are way rarer than their power level necessitates.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Some are way rarer than their power level necessitates.

As Blizzard discovered with Diablo II, it's futile to attempt to counterbalance the power level of Uniques by manipulating their rarity (i.e. drop rates). If the demand for an item is high enough, botters will farm as long as it takes to obtain it in quantity. The rarity of the item has only a secondary effect on its market value. Its buyout price is primarily determined by its popularity, limited only by what the market will bear.
Last edited by RogueMage on Apr 17, 2014, 11:40:44 PM
I'm well aware of that. I have no problem with more powerful items being rarer. As long as their downside isn't *rare*.

Currently, some unique shouldn't be as rare as they are. Especially since newer unique have come out. Further, the fact that some powerful unique like lightning coil aren't rare baffles me
balancing by rarity is the easiest and least effective way of doing it

but it allows for 'but it is rare, you have to work for it', 'you are not entitled to best gear' and 'if ive worked my ass for 1000 hours for this item it better be powerful' type of defense
It should not be balanced by rarity. This is correct. But I don't personally find a problem with high power level, balanced uniques, being rare.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Apr 18, 2014, 1:37:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info