Gandalf would turn in his grave...

"
b15h09 wrote:
"
LostForm wrote:

but ya, he casts through the staff, strikes with the staff , blocks attacks with the staff and blocks magic with the staff, possibly due to gandalf rainbow strides.

lol, yeah, no.

But I gotta admit, magic would be rarer than mirrors if we were going tolkienesque, which would just leave clunky melee with no flashy effects. Magic duels in LotR... LOL.

are you sure you are talking about the same tolkien that wrote lord of the rings? cuz in the books i read gandalf was using magic all the time, even while smoking a pipe and chilling or entertaining guests with magic fireworks. in the Simarillion, before the age of man, pretty much all the beings had magic to command. In the age of man you have gandalf and sauron ans saruman and the various races of elves all constantly using magic.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Apr 17, 2014, 1:32:07 PM
"
LostForm wrote:
"
b15h09 wrote:
"
LostForm wrote:

but ya, he casts through the staff, strikes with the staff , blocks attacks with the staff and blocks magic with the staff, possibly due to gandalf rainbow strides.

lol, yeah, no.

But I gotta admit, magic would be rarer than mirrors if we were going tolkienesque, which would just leave clunky melee with no flashy effects. Magic duels in LotR... LOL.

are you sure you are talking about the same tolkien that wrote lord of the rings? cuz in the books i read gandalf was using magic all the time, even while smoking a pipe and chilling or entertaining guests with magic fireworks. in the Simarillion, before the age of man, pretty much all the beings had magic to command. In the age of man you have gandalf and sauron ans saruman and the various races of elves all constantly using magic.

True, inconsequential tricks were used by Gandalf with fair frequency. Light tricks to scare... he set wood on fire a few times I suppose. I think breaking the bridge in Moria was about the most overt use of magic that was detailed, though far more powerful magic was hinted at in his recounting of the battle with the Balrog. Magic seemed always a subdued and mystical thing in LotR though. That's part of what made it so awesome.

Elven magic seemed more of the realms of crafting, divination, and bonds with nature. They were a magical race, for sure, but they weren't exactly chucking lightning bolts. So yes, I'll agree, there was magic everywhere, but it wasn't DnD magic.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
I do not care how Gandalf used a staff. Nor do I care if he would approve of my staff use in POE. I also do not care what Harry Potter thinks of my wand use.

I would like to see an easier way to craft either a spell stave OR an attack stave, and the same goes for wands(daggers to a lesser extent too). Right now, either 1 is too hard to build a character around and finding upgrades is extremely difficult simply because of the sheer # of mods possible on a hybrid weapon.

"
Consequence wrote:
I do not care how Gandalf used a staff. Nor do I care if he would approve of my staff use in POE. I also do not care what Harry Potter thinks of my wand use.

I would like to see an easier way to craft either a spell stave OR an attack stave, and the same goes for wands(daggers to a lesser extent too). Right now, either 1 is too hard to build a character around and finding upgrades is extremely difficult simply because of the sheer # of mods possible on a hybrid weapon.

going to have to disagree, finding a high level item that can roll magic stats is on par or easier than finding that base weapon that works with your skills and has the attack speed -> physical damage ratio you are after. You can roll almost any spell caster stats onto any item that can get caster stats, and even the implicit stats you are after come on a variety of base items, and you dont care which base item specifically it is like you do for attack weps.

The attack wands I tend to agree with you though, as you are basically looking for a high level imbued wand, and then have to get the mods out of the expanded pool. Probably the hardest item to find/craft a GG end game version.

but at any rate, this thread isnt about balance, but the lore of staffs, specifically as they relate to exemplars of the caster archetypes.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Apr 17, 2014, 2:43:04 PM
"
LostForm wrote:
"
Consequence wrote:

going to have to disagree, finding a high level item that can roll magic stats is on par or easier than finding that base weapon that works with your skills and has the attack speed -> physical damage ratio you are after. You can roll any spell caster stats onto any item that can get caster stats, and even the implicit stats you are after come on a variety of base items, and you dont care which base item specifically it is like you do for attack weps.

The attack wands I tend to agree with you though, as you are basically looking for a high level imbued wand, and then have to get the mods out of the expanded pool. Probably the hardest item to find/craft a GG end game version.

but at any rate, this thread isnt about balance, but the lore of staffs, specifically as they relate to exemplars of the caster archetypes.

Sure you CAN find a stave that can be a good spell stave. Or you can find a stave that can be a good caster stave.

The problem is that the fact that it can roll either mod means it is FAR less likely you will find either. Each relevant mod becomes multiplicatively harder to find simply because there is a greater pool of available mods. You are FAR more likely to get a hybrid melee/scaster stave than you would either a melee to Caster stave by itself.

And this thread is about staves and their use in POE. My point is completely relevant.

and for the record, Gandalf would get his ass kicked in Wraeclast. He wears a dirty tabula rasa and the rest of his gear is +light radius

Last edited by Consequence on Apr 17, 2014, 3:18:49 PM
"
They should allow the use of daggers and staves together. Or even better, a dagger unique usable with staves.

yeah yeah or headgear that looks like underwear
"
Eh, the books aren't really the 'end' of it. After all, the whole Bridge of Khazad-Dum affair in FOTR is about three lines in the book, fifteen minutes in the movie.

I think we can look to the films for such matters. Tolkien despised writing action.

Nothing like long drawn out ball numbing action scenes. The world doesn't have enough of those!

OT: I am surprised there aren't certain staves that are more likely to roll spell mods and others more likely to roll physical. The same true of daggers.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
This may be one of the first Dragonlance references I've ever seen anywhere.
In response to the OP:
FFS, there are European fighting manuals on the quarterstaff.
Believe it or not, Asians didn't invent the idea of hitting people with a stick of wood.

Otherwise, I agree that in-game staves are a weirdly schizophrenic item. Casters don't like rare staves. Why would you when you can also roll spell damage on your shield and get defensive stats to boot?

And I never see melee players who wouldn't much prefer an axe or mace instead.
Block chance? Dafuq. If I wanted block chance, I'd roll with a shield.

It doesn't help that you can roll both caster and attacker affixes on the same items.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Apr 18, 2014, 6:55:09 AM

it exists but its so rare. i would like to see more.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info