Gandalf would turn in his grave...

"
crystalwitch wrote:
The GGG staff is a single item class that acts as a combination of the fantasy spellcaster's staff that the OP talks about, and the physical bo or quarter staff.

This is reflected in staves being able to roll both physical damage and spell damage mods, and the staff spell damage mods, (according to the the wiki) having a greater value than those on wands, daggers or sceptres.

Casting staves are also reflected in the unique staves; Dying Breath, Searing Touch and Taryn's Shiver.

I'd also like to mention that the Archchancellor of Unseen University, Mustrum Ridcully doesn't shy away from using his staff as a melee weapon should the occasion call for it.

I agree here. A Bo staff is basically just a piece of wood, a walking stick. The walking stick is either solid and makes a big thunk when you swing it or is kinda rotten and not so good for hitting people with. Then your passives, for the most part, are how trained you are to swing that stick to cause damage or how well you can whirl and twirl the stick to fend off incoming attacks.

Alternatively, the sticks that might not hold up to being swung about, possibly due to weird twisting growth or a funky looking knot in the wrong spot might just lend themselves, due to their intricate nature or special configurations, to being a focus for spell casting. This is reflected some in the passives as well with serpent stance, you can really pour your efforts through your spell focus and critically damage your foes, but by and large the spell casting you do is due to your pesonal training, the staff just magnifies it. The 'magic staff' pictures in OP would fall into the unique class of focus staves, as they are the most ostentatious and intricate .

Some staves are intricate enough to be a good focus, while also being sturdy enough to leave a lump when swung. This is probably what gandalf would choose.

All in all, I think the dual nature of a walking stick/bo/quarter staff as a spell focus and cudgel is done fairly well. What I dont like is they also tossed spears into this mix, which I think for sure should be their own class of weapons.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Apr 17, 2014, 10:30:14 AM
i WANT physical staves! fk ur spell damage :o

i want to me a monk with a bo staff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPYzsqShA8)
"
LostForm wrote:

Some staves are intricate enough to be a good focus, while also being sturdy enough to leave a lump when swung. This is probably what gandalf would choose.

Negative. Gandalf chose Glamdring, Foe-hammer, for whacking things, iirc.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
b15h09 wrote:
"
LostForm wrote:

he does use a sword, but he for sure whirls that staff around and lumps some crowns with it. He also uses it as a focus.
Hey...is this thing on?
Wait... Gandalf definitely hits people with his staff.
"
LostForm wrote:
"
b15h09 wrote:
"
LostForm wrote:

he does use a sword, but he for sure whirls that staff around and lumps some crowns with it. He also uses it as a focus.

I don't recall that part. Any time he got in melee, I can only remember him using his sword, but that wasn't very often. About as rare as his use of magic, being that the Istari weren't supposed to interfere too much in the affairs of men. Been awhile since I read the books, though.
The topics that remain in GD, and the topics that get moved continue to boggle my mind.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
The topics that remain in GD, and the topics that get moved continue to boggle my mind.

See, there you go, giving feedback. Move incoming.
"
b15h09 wrote:
"
LostForm wrote:
"
b15h09 wrote:

I don't recall that part. Any time he got in melee, I can only remember him using his sword, but that wasn't very often. About as rare as his use of magic, being that the Istari weren't supposed to interfere too much in the affairs of men. Been awhile since I read the books, though.

he dual wields a staff and a sword, just showing that he is not a playable class, and thus his staff is not very good for classes we can play xD

but ya, he casts through the staff, strikes with the staff , blocks attacks with the staff and blocks magic with the staff, possibly due to gandalf rainbow strides.

Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Apr 17, 2014, 11:14:09 AM
"
LostForm wrote:

but ya, he casts through the staff, strikes with the staff , blocks attacks with the staff and blocks magic with the staff, possibly due to gandalf rainbow strides.

lol, yeah, no.

But I gotta admit, magic would be rarer than mirrors if we were going tolkienesque, which would just leave clunky melee with no flashy effects. Magic duels in LotR... LOL.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info