Gandalf would turn in his grave...

Not only Gandalf, but Elminster, Raistlin, Belgarath, and just about every powerful mage or sorcerer who wielded a staff. They would never consider using their staff as a weapon to strike someone with!!!

In GGG, a staff is basically a Bo. A bow is a weapon used to strike your enemy, while a staff is used to cast spells; however, in Path of Exile there are mostly staff nodes which increase physical damage and not spell damage. The staff is treated as a melee weapon. Please, GGG, change all those Staff/Physical hybrid nodes to accurately reflect Bo/Physical nodes... You are confusing fans of the fantasy genre!!!

This is a bow:

...something used to strike your enemy with.

This is a staff:

...it reeks of magical/spell power!!! Do you think he would ever want to risk his staff by hitting it against an enemies armor???

While a staff may have spell mods, in no way shape and for does it trump a wand. Besides the Harry Potter universe, which classical fantasy hero (or villain) wields a wand? While I am sure they do exist, the most powerful to my knowledge have all wielded staves. The revered staff!

A quote, from my most cherished fantasy here Raistlin:

“He could hear himself screaming and he knew it was his death cry. Still he fought on, as he had fought all his life.
I...will...control...
The words came from his mouth, stained with his blood...
I will control...
Reaching out, his hands closed over the Staff on Magius.
I will!”

Belgarath-and his staff.

Elminster-and his staff.

Gandalf-and his staff.

Raistlin-and his staff.

I'm waiting for some Staff love GGG. I want to use the staff to cast spells, not to knock back an enemy!

Make the staff as powerful as a wand/shield combo please!!!

GGG listens to its fans!!! Thank you!
[removed by support]
Last edited by Jared_GGG on Apr 17, 2014, 2:24:10 PM
"
[removed by support]

I am also a nerd so I agree. I want to see the spells have something to do with the staff.
Unique 3D art- http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/342452
Last edited by Jared_GGG on Apr 17, 2014, 2:25:16 PM
You have a point or two there but keep in mind that

Staff or Quarterstaff was also a melee weapon ;)

Check this in Sacred 2, also:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Magic_Staffs

"Wealth in a game is measured by the amount of fun, joy and entertainment you can get out of it".
-Mythabril
Last edited by EKTELESTES on Apr 16, 2014, 8:16:42 PM
magic staff=rod
* Forum Avatar - $500USD
... -- Bex_GGG
"
You might want to rewatch those Lord of the Rings movies. They're pretty short, so it shouldn't take long. Gandalf *definitely* uses his staff as a martial weapon. Repeatedly. Augmented with Istari power, no doubt, but still.

Also: http://dragonlancenexus.com/lexicon/index.php?title=Staff_of_Magius

"When the staff was used as a club the magic of the staff increases the force of the blow"

I can't attest to the veracity of these, but I do recall reading in the official Dragonlance manuals from TSR that the Staff of Magius was in fact very capable as a magical martial weapon, relatively speaking.

Thirdly, 'Bo' and 'Bo staff' are interchangeable. In fact, 'Bo' means 'staff' -- thus 'Rokushakubo' means 'six foot staff', give or take.

棒: Bou/Bo

Unfortunately, despite your many oversights and half-baked ideas, you're completely right that GGG got staves wrong. I guess I made my own rant about this on alpha and not here, but it's a long-running issue. I think something similar plagues daggers, which also try to wear too many hats.

Taken outside of uniques, the staff of PoE is a martial weapon. It has block chance implicit, can roll pretty much any decent martial weapon mod...but then we have Searing Touch and Taryn's Shiver confusing people. If you're going to wield a PoE staff as a casting catalyst, as both items would encourage, then that implicit block is a waste.

At least the dagger's implicit global crit benefits just about everyone.

Thanks for providing that insight Charan! I love talking nerd and especially everything and anything related to the greatest of them all, RAISTLIN!!! :)

But yes, staves in PoE are completely out of line in what I personally think a staff should be. While it can be used as a martial arts weapon, its a bit overboard in PoE. Too many staff nodes focus on physical damage.
There are much worse "choices" GGG should deal with before they even consider dealing with you suggest dealing with; namely certain "GGG melee skills" actually not being melee skills and viper strike not being considered to be poisonous.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
They should allow the use of daggers and staves together. Or even better, a dagger unique usable with staves.
The GGG staff is a single item class that acts as a combination of the fantasy spellcaster's staff that the OP talks about, and the physical bo or quarter staff.

This is reflected in staves being able to roll both physical damage and spell damage mods, and the staff spell damage mods, (according to the the wiki) having a greater value than those on wands, daggers or sceptres.

Casting staves are also reflected in the unique staves; Dying Breath, Searing Touch and Taryn's Shiver.

I'd also like to mention that the Archchancellor of Unseen University, Mustrum Ridcully doesn't shy away from using his staff as a melee weapon should the occasion call for it.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Apr 16, 2014, 8:40:28 PM
"
crystalwitch wrote:
The GGG staff is a single item class that acts as a combination of the fantasy spellcaster's staff that the OP talks about, and the physical bo or quarter staff.

This is reflected in staves being able to roll both physical damage and spell damage mods, and the staff spell damage mods, (according to the the wiki) having a greater value than those on wands, daggers or sceptres.

Casting staves are also reflected in the unique staves; Dying Breath, Searing Touch and Taryn's Shiver.

I'd also like to mention that the Archchancellor of Unseen University, Mustrum Ridcully doesn't shy away from using his staff as a melee weapon should the occasion call for it.

This unseen university novel series (discworld?) seems like a cool and interesting series.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info