Challenge: No gems!

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Make more sense to try to play a gem without a character. Haven't you realized that the gems are the things that we're actually leveling. Characters are just a means to the end of moving your gems around.

Mind = Blown! :)
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Make more sense to try to play a gem without a character. Haven't you realized that the gems are the things that we're actually leveling. Characters are just a means to the end of moving your gems around.

Does this mean that vendoring a level 100 Templar and a Regret Orb gets you a level 1 Templar with 20 Quality and pants?
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on Apr 16, 2014, 1:24:11 PM
"
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
Facebreaker is probably the best build for this. It'll still take ages though and be more tedious than it is difficult. Just a tedium challenge.

Isnt that the point of a challenge? To do the undoable? Or at least do what few or no others have done before?

Climbing a mountain is a challenge and one that many people seek to accomplish in their life. Digging a really deep hole is another challenge, one that many people (and a book) see as a punishment.

Anything can be considered a challenge, that doesn't make all challenges equally appealing.
Last edited by ithinkimgood on Apr 16, 2014, 2:22:53 PM
stupidity: no gems.

it's one thing to take a sub-par-gear challenge.
it's another to run around smacking stuff with an auto attack for 3 difficulties.

doable perhaps, but a profound impact on one's sanity - that's for certain.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
The only way it would be remotely possible to finish all three difficulties with no gems is to be carried by characters who use gems. I don't think the initial challenge would allow for that.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

You should read the short story "Learning to be me" by Greg Egan. Check for instance http://qwerjk.com/force-feed. Mind=Blowing.
Shower thought: no two rares are the same. So rares are unique, while uniques are not. On the other hand, uniques are rare, while rares are not.
Piercing shots and piercing quiver might help for some sort of AoE. Maybe king of the hill as well to keep things in front of you, but those are some pretty awful nodes preceding it.
No, you can do it pretty easily. Just don't derpily try to tank Piety's Siege Mode in Merciless and it'll be cake. (And of course, you can always eventually gear up to the point where it does a scant ~700 damage a hit instead of 1500.) Would strongly recommend using a weapon with fast attacks to be able to disengage quickly. Nobody likes getting touched by God.

It would just be boring as hell. Support gems are your multipliers, you'll kill things at least 1/3rd as slowly as you could with Heavy Strike, closer to 1/4 to 1/5th.

It's not like my InfinityMuscleMan idea, which is a Marauder who doesn't use items at all, merely punches his way through adversity by the power of his muscles alone. Taking 6.4 times the damage from elemental... that's maybe more on the impossible side of things.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Apr 16, 2014, 3:02:08 PM
to solve the aoe problem

you can use Bino's Kitchen Knife (dagger) (poison nearby enemies on kill and heals you if you kill a poisoned enemy)
then there is Death's Oath (450 chaos damage per second to nearby enemies but also does chaos damage to you on kill but ci might solve this problem)

then ther is the option to use Voltaxic Rift bow which makes chaosdamage shock (shock stacking + ranged instead of bino's)

so its certainly possible

I would try it if I had the gear/currency for it
no gems would be too much of a handicap. it is also not good for your enjoyment.

do something like,
-All red gems only
-No support gems or auras
-Fireball and 3 links only

I need more purple titles

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info