Challenge: No gems!

We all have seen what you can do without any rare items (one guy killed dominus on merciless without any rare or unique).

I always wondered how far you can get with all the really great items but without using ANY gem. Obviously with only standard attack masses of mobs will be a problem. There is a bow that gives 2 arrows, that might help a bit for a while.

I think it would be possible to beat normal dominus this way (althoug i myself lack the items for it). What do you think, how far could you get, lets say in a HC league and solo? Obviously in a party anything is possible with any build.

Any takers? As i am really poor i can't offer a reward though :)

Last edited by Humperding on Apr 16, 2014, 9:11:23 AM
You should try it yourself, sounds like fun.
You are limited to single target attacks. So progress will be mind numbingly slow.
I know about that bow with 2 arrows. But otherwise, is there any unique that gives standard attack some AoE ability?

Of course there is always reflect armor... let those mobs beat theirselfs to death :) But i guess that's really not viable for long.
"
But otherwise, is there any unique that gives standard attack some AoE ability?

Corrupted quivers/bows can give additional arrows.

Facebreaker is probably the best build for this. It'll still take ages though and be more tedious than it is difficult. Just a tedium challenge.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on Apr 16, 2014, 10:42:25 AM
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
Facebreaker is probably the best build for this. It'll still take ages though and be more tedious than it is difficult. Just a tedium challenge.

Isnt that the point of a challenge? To do the undoable? Or at least do what few or no others have done before?
"
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:

Isnt that the point of a challenge? To do the undoable? Or at least do what few or no others have done before?

It's not much of a challenge. You can easily gear a super tanky character and just tediously single target each enemy. There is very little challenge till you're doing insane maps with this single target character.

Gear limitations are far more interesting than removing skills. Skills are what make the game any fun.
"
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:

The point of a challenge is, well, challenge. Difficulty. Requiring more skill.

Clicking on monster after monster, one-shotting each, just takes more time.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on Apr 16, 2014, 11:50:45 AM
Make more sense to try to play a gem without a character. Haven't you realized that the gems are the things that we're actually leveling. Characters are just a means to the end of moving your gems around.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info