Failed to connect to instance

I keep getting booted to the log in screen when trying to change maps. Not always but 90% of the time when I try to portal back to town and about 50% chance when switching maps.

It has made progression in this game impossible.

FYI the message: failed to connect to instance

Is the message bottom left on the log in screen after.

2 things that might be the issue. The same day the latest patch was released there was a big windows update too. Any chance it's just changed something on my system and I'm being stupid?
Last bumped on Sep 28, 2017, 1:50:21 PM
most of these problems are related to firewall or antivirus interfering with the server transfer.

Make sure these have been disabled (in addition to adding exclusions, or re-adding them as the case might be).

Avast is one of the worst offenders, but there are others as well (like K9 Web Protection, PeerBlock, etc).
I have tried playing without my firewall active and I am still disconnecting then I tried without my virus protection enabled and then with both but this keeps happening still.

Any idea what the issue might be?

Stuck on act 1 merciless for a week now...
this has started happening to me as well without a windows update, went to enter the eternal lab and now i can't get back into the game when i do i immediatly get "unable to connect to instance"
Anybody have any advice

I have tried playing with everything disabled and I am still getting booted to the log in screen when transitioning with the error message: failed to connect to instance
same problem here, ive had that problem like 2 days ago and it fixed itself. Pretty sure its not on client's end but on the server side.
Can you locate the entry in the Client.txt file in the logs folder? It should be near the end and should say "connecting to instance server at" and then the server address:port

Make sure it's the one that coincides with your attempt to enter the instance and then run a WinMTR trace to that address for around 300 packets. Post the results here so we can take a look.
"
Drakier wrote:
Can you locate the entry in the Client.txt file in the logs folder? It should be near the end and should say "connecting to instance server at" and then the server address:port

Make sure it's the one that coincides with your attempt to enter the instance and then run a WinMTR trace to that address for around 300 packets. Post the results here so we can take a look.

I have it installed through steam and no idea what your asking me to find, apologies for my stupidity.
"
Tysontk wrote:
I have it installed through steam and no idea what your asking me to find, apologies for my stupidity.

Inside the Path of Exile folder, there is a "logs" folder with a file called "Client.txt". You can also locate it with a drive search.

At the bottom of this file are entries related to your attempting to connect to an instance server.
"
Drakier wrote:
"
Tysontk wrote:

Inside the Path of Exile folder, there is a "logs" folder with a file called "Client.txt". You can also locate it with a drive search.

At the bottom of this file are entries related to your attempting to connect to an instance server.

this is the last thing in the log

2014/04/23 23:17:02 817531000 1d6 [INFO Client 5160] Abnormal disconnect: Failed to connect to instance

What should I do with this information?

again apologies for quoting you again but you seem to have an idea what my issue could be.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info