All you need to know about diablo 3 and poe in 4 pictures

Am I the only one that thought the 1st bubble was actually abit damning of the game...?

"Specced into summons & now the game plays itself" isn't really good pr.
"
Jillian wrote:
Wasn't diablo 3 even more of a stockmarket game with the AH? Just saying

Yup. Between the AH, and tuning the drop rates to expectations of its use, they created a massive backlash from their user base. So, they changed it, and lo and behold, people are actually enjoying the game, saying good things, etc. As much as that game disgusted me the first time around, I'm half tempted to get RoS.

I'd contend it wasn't inherently the AH that caused the problems though. It was tuning the drop rates with an expectation of using it. Had they not done that, the AH would have mainly been a venue for extremely high end stuff, but normal in-game progression wouldn't have been damaged. PoE suffers this same problem in the expectation of trade, and actually uses the same methodology to promote it; excessive RNG to ensure the majority of drops are not useful. PoE fails hard in the double standard of expectations of trade, and inefficient trade, though.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
b15h09 wrote:
"
Jillian wrote:
Wasn't diablo 3 even more of a stockmarket game with the AH? Just saying

Yup. Between the AH, and tuning the drop rates to expectations of its use, they created a massive backlash from their user base. So, they changed it, and lo and behold, people are actually enjoying the game, saying good things, etc. As much as that game disgusted me the first time around, I'm half tempted to get RoS.

I'd contend it wasn't inherently the AH that caused the problems though. It was tuning the drop rates with an expectation of using it. Had they not done that, the AH would have mainly been a venue for extremely high end stuff, but normal in-game progression wouldn't have been damaged. PoE suffers this same problem in the expectation of trade, and actually uses the same methodology to promote it; excessive RNG to ensure the majority of drops are not useful. PoE fails hard in the double standard of expectations of trade, and inefficient trade, though.

That 1st week in when a dev "slipped" that the game was, in fact, tuned to drops on the auction house - and then the entire year afterwards them constantly denying it... yet the total and complete lack of loot drops in hundreds of hours play?

People hate to admit that right now the only possible methods in POE to advance: 1) TRADE 2) win the lottery in a once per lifetime lucky drop find 3) play the game 15+ hours per day to "smooth out RNG" (with the caveat that it's still highly likely and extremely possible that you could STILL not get a 6L item in 2000 hours of play time) - actually PLAYING the game is the least rewarding option.

Literally.

Diablo3 NOW went overboard the opposite direction - giving loot like candy on Halloween... HOWEVER: that being said I am STILL enjoying D3 on week 3 now with all classes to level 70 and putting in about 50 levels of Paragon. So basically have been playing the shit out of the game - and STILL enjoying myself.

See: I enjoy being rewarded for playing - if only POE/GGG could find a HEALTHY balance for loot drops/crafting. I don't want D3 extreme loot pinata. But I want a HEALTHY option be that in a brand new crafting/SF league or by them finally shaking their collective heads and changing up the drop rates/crafting in the regular game.

I want soooooo desperately to fall back in love with this game. But I can't when the leveling channel is THE SAME every 4 months EXPECTING us to just drop everything and start from scratch... I want a more permanent option so that I can get in on the new goodies - have good drop rates - have good crafting rates... Game is totally not for me I guess. BACK TO D3!! =)

EDIT: funny comic though

PS - pretty certain that in all ARPGs you figure out the strongest specs/your own play style and then only play that 1-4 button mash... same thing in POE... same thing in D3... same thing in Titans... in D2... D1... all of them. But anyways lol
Last edited by Isbox1 on Apr 15, 2014, 12:34:00 PM
"
Am I the only one that thought the 1st bubble was actually abit damning of the game...?

Uhm, the comic isn't meant to be PR for PoE... it's poking fun at both games.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Diablo III - click to win
POE - think to win

I could play both, but diablo III is not for me,im not saying its bad to play Diablo III, it could be fun when i dont want to think too much because im tired.
"

Neither is "4 different ways to punch people", by that logic.

Great comic, and true.

PoE, after you play through a few characters, is about commerce. You really can't advance and try out interesting builds unless you have goods, and you can't get the goods unless you trade. Drops suck, so it takes a VERY long time to save up any significant amount of currency. Worthwhile items tend to be expensive, so good luck saving up enough from farming to make awesome purchases. The only option you're left with is item flipping in the markets, which is appealing to some people, but I imagine most people find it painfully boring and would rather be out fighting. PoE quickly becomes a commerce game. A commerce game with a sweet skill tree, but a commerce game nonetheless.

Diablo III started out that way, much to the horror of Diablo fans. The console release totally flipped that, though. Drop rates were adjusted, and you didn't have to live in the game to get decent items. After the drop rates were implemented in the pc version, Blizzard FINALLY got the game to a point where it should have been at release... well over a year later. The reward system is infinitely better, and now you can get on the battlefield and play with those 4 punches to your heart's content. The customization isn't as deep as it is in PoE, but at least the grind is rewarding.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
"
Xavderion wrote:
"

Looked to me it was just poking fun at PoE players. The look of condescension for, you know, having fun with different ways of killing monsters, rather than the 'hardcore' stuff.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
RulerOfChaos wrote:
Diablo III - click to win
POE - think to win

I could play both, but diablo III is not for me,im not saying its bad to play Diablo III, it could be fun when i dont want to think too much because im tired.

The only thinking required is to try to optimize builds. After that - after you have your 1>4 skills set up and figure out how much stats and gem level you need to attain for your 3x auras... do a little math here and there... it's the same thing.

The only difference between the games right now is that D3 rewards you for your time whereas POE shit-kicks you in your teeth with a RNG stacked Korean grind fest.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"

Sure I get that but to me it came across as more of an overall POE diss tbh.

They make out poe is a game where you spec into an afk build in order to sit back & reap rewards and then liken it to accountancy which is a notoriously boring practice.

The "and there are 4 different ways to punch people" doesn't really seem like that much of a diss...it's hardly where the game fell down. What makes it seem like a diss is the reaction of the POE players which essentially comes in the form of elitism, the girl is having fun with her 4 ways to punch until she realises she is being judged by the accountants to be a noob.

Maybe I am reading too much into it but it doesn't read like an equal jab at each game to me, especially when you read the comments underneath where they state that D3 is now fun to play and not just a "delivery system for an ill-conceived real-money auction house".
"
Russell wrote:
Spoiler

Doge around probably

It's been a long time. Thanks.

Great comic by the way.
Path of Excel 4tw! :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info