Some Summoner Ideas

I play the summoner A LOT. Ever since I started PoE I have tried many builds, and stopped before merciless in most cases. The summoner is the only build that have held my interest for well over 1000 hours played.

There are some additions I would like to see, to promote builds variety for summoners.

Raise Skeletal Mage;

Much like in D2, I would like to be able to raise a permanent (until death) army of mages with a random element of damage. This alone lets players summon an army of combinations of elements, or stick with an element they prefer, and use support gems to support the different types of magic.

Raise Skeletal Archer;

Same idea as the mages, but a physical variant of a new ranged summon for those that prefer physical over magic.

New Keystone;

I often find myself wanting to help my summons more in dangerous situations. It could be from a hard hitting boss or an elite with storm herald. I would like to see a new Key Stone added which lets your minions benefit from your flasks. Resist flasks, Granite, Jade, Remove curse etc.

Right now I have no need for a Jade flask on my summoner, and I use resist flasks extremely rare, mostly while leveling. I have a Granite on my summoner, but only really use it to remove curses on myself. I use Granite against Rhoas mostly, but I heard the damage is calculated before the charge starts, and using a Granite after charge starts wont reduce damage, so I'm thinking of removing Granite from my summoner as well.

I would like so see some more use of different flasks for summoner.

New Support Gems;

- Minion Block and Spell Block; Self explanatory. I would like an option to make my zombies more tanky

- Minion Armor / Evade; Again, just another option to make zombies more durable.

Last suggestion;

This is a big one. Probably the change I would like to see implemented before anything.
Make summons persist during disconnects / logout.

Right now I find myself staying online in town when sleeping at night, because I don't want to start the game and go find spectres and all that before jumping into some maps.

Also with the new invasion league and the horrors it contains, I find myself logging out a lot against some of the harder bosses. It would be nice to see the army I had before logout at the ready to do some maps again.

I understand this is probably not likely to change, but please give it some thought.

Thanks for reading.

This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+1
+1
"If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by."-Sun Tzu
more summons is always nice but i think the main thing summoners need is a more dedicated tree, instead of nodes with +"x" to summons would be interesting if they spread the nodes and create specific nodes all across the trees like:

templar/marauder: nodes related to animated guardian
witch/shadow: nodes related to zombies
shadow/ranger: nodes related to skeletons
duelist/ranger: nodes related to specters

lets keep some some general +summon nodes but they should be very far away from each other.
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

"
caboom wrote:
more summons is always nice but i think the main thing summoners need is a more dedicated tree, instead of nodes with +"x" to summons would be interesting if they spread the nodes and create specific nodes all across the trees like:

templar/marauder: nodes related to animated guardian
witch/shadow: nodes related to zombies
shadow/ranger: nodes related to skeletons
duelist/ranger: nodes related to specters

lets keep some some general +summon nodes but they should be very far away from each other.

Playing a true summoner already takes the vast majority of your skill points.

As you can see, that takes 80 points just to get all of the Witch life nodes, minion nodes, and all of the nodes one should take just to survive.

This one finally uses those last twenty points to use two curses and get some aura nodes. As you can see, the summoner doesn't need more "dedication".
Just this pls:

- Summon Dryad (Immobilization of Foes, May Auto-Use Health Potion on Player for Healing)

- Summon Ghost Horse (Uses "Charge", fast movement)

- Summon Will'o'Wisp (increases Light Radius, causes burning when touched)

We can also add some non-evil things to this game as well :)
dedication means that you either use zombies or skeletons or specters, not that you have to research them all. the amount of skill point needed will remain, will olso mean that specific nodes will be better to offset the number lost.

to be fair 80 is barely lv 6x if quest rewards are considered and is far lower than what many builds out there need. personaly i prefer ES scion build, i find it to be more effective due to dicipline giving large amounts of raw ES and is not like you need lts of survival if you are going to have a wall of minions tanking for you

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABBkkI9BB0EJcRUBGWE2wV1xcvGmwc3B0UJLAo-iqYLL8tqC9vO-E8jkQERnFNuVZjV8lakVyKaqxr220ZcLtzU30Yf8aApILHgwmFYIauhtGIQIt6j0aQM5Mnm6GdrqKjpqynCKcrqH2qxLB3sZC0DLfWuJO71r-XwcXB88NtyT3MvNDQ0_vXhtkL2RPbWeGI4vfquuvu7BjsivIe89331_qA-tI=

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Apr 15, 2014, 3:46:55 PM
"
caboom wrote:
dedication means that you either use zombies or skeletons or specters, not that you have to research them all. the amount of skill point needed will remain, will olso mean that specific nodes will be better to offset the number lost.

to be fair 80 is barely lv 6x if quest rewards are considered and is far lower than what many builds out there need. personaly i prefer ES scion build, i find it to be more effective due to dicipline giving large amounts of raw ES and is not like you need lts of survival if you are going to have a wall of minions tanking for you

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABBkkI9BB0EJcRUBGWE2wV1xcvGmwc3B0UJLAo-iqYLL8tqC9vO-E8jkQERnFNuVZjV8lakVyKaqxr220ZcLtzU30Yf8aApILHgwmFYIauhtGIQIt6j0aQM5Mnm6GdrqKjpqynCKcrqH2qxLB3sZC0DLfWuJO71r-XwcXB88NtyT3MvNDQ0_vXhtkL2RPbWeGI4vfquuvu7BjsivIe89331_qA-tI=

Dedicated summoners, or true summoners, use all minions. Raging Spirits are optional.

It's asinine to get all of the minion nodes and not get all three minions.
"
Raise Skeletal Mage;

Much like in D2, I would like to be able to raise a permanent (until death) army of mages with a random element of damage. This alone lets players summon an army of combinations of elements, or stick with an element they prefer, and use support gems to support the different types of magic.

Raise Skeletal Archer;

Same idea as the mages, but a physical variant of a new ranged summon for those that prefer physical over magic.

This would be too powerful. In the case skeletons are optional i will choose one who shoots anyway (zombies are tanky as hell). Permanent mages are for specters even the guardin cant use bow like he is too stuped to use it.

But as for unique item that differs your summons thats sounds great, like:
no specters, but zombies shoot chaos bolts
or ni skeletonse but you can some huge bone beast in quantity of one that is realy stronge for same duration.

"

New Keystone;

I often find myself wanting to help my summons more in dangerous situations. It could be from a hard hitting boss or an elite with storm herald. I would like to see a new Key Stone added which lets your minions benefit from your flasks. Resist flasks, Granite, Jade, Remove curse etc.

Right now I have no need for a Jade flask on my summoner, and I use resist flasks extremely rare, mostly while leveling. I have a Granite on my summoner, but only really use it to remove curses on myself. I use Granite against Rhoas mostly, but I heard the damage is calculated before the charge starts, and using a Granite after charge starts wont reduce damage, so I'm thinking of removing Granite from my summoner as well.

I would like so see some more use of different flasks for summoner.

Dont think we need any new summoner keystone we have 2 of them, but a big node "+% of flask effet works on minions" will be nice.

But the most Keystone i want is to give me a minion information screen. Realy i dont know how much evesion my zombie have, if they have any, or does support gem with aegis overcap their resists (while i think it does). And for spirits, guards and weapons it`s realy a mystery.

"

New Support Gems;

- Minion Block and Spell Block; Self explanatory. I would like an option to make my zombies more tanky

- Minion Armor / Evade; Again, just another option to make zombies more durable.

Thats a great idea, with also triggered on winion death and minion energy shield.
The main reason I made this topic is because right now there is just one way to play a summoner. Raise your zombies, find your spectre, and start farming.

There is no thought put into creating your build. I would like more options on how to play my summoner.

My suggestion on Skeletal mages for instance, is not meant to copy the ones from D2 completely. It could be a new summon called Runemaster, which leaves runes or glyphs on the ground that damages enemies that walk over them, or heal minions that walk over them. These are just ideas I have to create more options on how to play. I just want a new type of ranged spellcaster and ranged physical summon, how they function I leave to the ones with actual good ideas.

While the idea behind spectres are cool on it's own, there aren't many options on how to play with them. Right now the spectre of choice is ofc the Evangelist. Not because the OP damage, but it can provide crucial defense as well in tight situations against invasion bosses. So there is not really a lot you can do with spectres either, not as much as I would like.

The new summons I mentioned would serve as a replacement of spectres. How that would be done, I'm not sure. It could be a restriction on the gems themselves. If you equip raise spectre, you wouldn't be able to equip raise skeletal mage. That, or if you choose to use Mages, Spectres and Zombies, it would give you more dps (maybe), but you would have to sacrifice gem slots for auras, curses or something else, meaning your class do a bit more dps at the cost of utility or defense. These are already options other classes have.

Wouldn't it be cool to have your zombies do a lot of damage without having to use minion life and resist to keep them alive? How about a summon that heals minions (not players). Right now, zombies are meant as a meat shield to protect the spectres in the back. I would like the option to use zombies as a main source of dps if it were possible.

Get creative with it. Using zombies and one type of spectre is a bit dull. I don't see the harm in making more valid options to create a new unique build.

That's my thoughts on it anyways. I just wish I could get creative with the build and make something that haven't been done before. Right now, that is not possible as a summoner.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info