Reddit shows that there is still hope!

"
Mephasm wrote:
The power creep is quite strong in this game, and to add insult to injury they continue to nerf player options and vital mechanics (leech). The result is that the player is pingeonholed into a handful of viable builds.
comment about leech- you were already pigeonholed into using leech on pretty much any character who dealt hits themselves.

as such, the nerf was needed as people besides those going EB never had a real choice of going any other option, because slapping leech on a fast-attack character made all resource problems go away (mana leech) as well as life sustain (life leech) more trivial.

the problem about the leech change is that while they rightfully axed leech they didnt really address any of other problems associated with it. upping base mana would be a good start at least.
"
grepman wrote:
comment about leech- you were already pigeonholed into using leech on pretty much any character who dealt hits themselves.

as such, the nerf was needed as people besides those going EB never had a real choice of going any other option, because slapping leech on a fast-attack character made all resource problems go away (mana leech) as well as life sustain (life leech) more trivial.

the problem about the leech change is that while they rightfully axed leech they didnt really address any of other problems associated with it. upping base mana would be a good start at least.

Leech is a game mechanic that almost every build can benefit from, of course everyone was using it. It was not a needed change, it was no more powerful than stacking resists/life/block.

It might have been acceptable, had they provided an alternative to leech, but they did not, leaving many builds crippled.

The only thing the leech nerf achieved was to discourage multistrike builds and self casting. I never considered melee to be OP, so no need to nerf multistrike, and self casting has nearly always been extremely ineffective. So exactly what was the point? What did they balance?

This thread: 90% subjective banter, 10% objective criticism.

Just another day...
Noblesse oblige
"
mazul wrote:
"
bluefalcon74 wrote:
"
mazul wrote:
The disconnect issues in PoE are not severe at all, so the times when you would lose a map due to a uncontrollable disconnects would be very few.

Uhhh, not true in my case at all. Not that I give a shit if someone wants to altf4. Doesn't affect me one bit.

But it does affect you. Like the thread explains and like Chris acknowledges, the game is designed around alt+f4, which so far has lead to reliance on almost instant deaths to pose a danger for players.

Constant lag affects the game much more than insta-kills. I have consistent and omnipresent lag of about 1 second in the best of times. If there's a race going on I can't even stay connected to the server. I can see a Vaal slam comng and click 5-6 times before my character even begins to start moving.

I get what you're saying that the game revolves around altf4 so it does affect my game because the game would be different without it, but it's just low on my list of things to be fixed.

"
This thread: 90% subjective banter, 10% objective criticism.

Just another day...

Need to adjust figures showing people complaining about the thread, tho.
Last edited by bluefalcon74 on Apr 15, 2014, 1:19:47 AM
"
Tipherith wrote:
"
awave wrote:
"
mazul wrote:
Also, I think one way to actually keep alt+f4 while reducing the reliance on spike damage, is to punish disconnects more heavily.

For instance, currently if you disconnect, you lose a map portal. What if a disconnect made you unable to reenter the map?

The disconnect issues in PoE are not severe at all, so the times when you would lose a map due to a uncontrollable disconnects would be very few.

id probably quit the game if they made it like this. my game still crashes quite a bit.

Agreed. I'd quit instantly.

I don't alt+f4 my way out of shit but I disconnect at the worst times and my internet is a shitty provider who slows my net even though i over pay them monthly.

every few maps id lose a map and I wouldnt stand for it.

edit: if you want to stop alt+f4 noobing then make the character stay logged in for ten seconds when they alt f4 or just remove the ability to auto close

so you think your shitty internet provider is GGG's problem?
I must say that I always got bored of this game due to mechanics that are unfriendly to the players and legacy items and nerfs, you really have to have no life to play it, and lately I just can't be bothered.

I am slowly losing the passion I had for diablo-type genres, because there just isn't really balanced game like diablo 2.
"
Mephasm wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

Leech is a game mechanic that almost every build can benefit from, of course everyone was using it. It was not a needed change, it was no more powerful than stacking resists/life/block.

It might have been acceptable, had they provided an alternative to leech, but they did not, leaving many builds crippled.

The only thing the leech nerf achieved was to discourage multistrike builds and self casting. I never considered melee to be OP, so no need to nerf multistrike, and self casting has nearly always been extremely ineffective. So exactly what was the point? What did they balance?

they did balance people not getting vaal pact to get vaal pact, and incrased the population of summoners.
I always thought that if you reduce the damage of monsters and increase their attack speed and add a small armor shred to melee hits from monsters it would make the game a little more interesting. Doing the same thing to elemental damage to reduce the need for max resists. As it is we see people needing more than 75% resists to even survive and that is inherently flawed. The only reason to even bother using resist flasks is to hit 85% resists or more. If you were able to run 50% resists on your gear it would enable a much broader range of item mods. Thorns mod might even be useful if stuff didn't hit quite so hard. It would really open up more than just builds specific to the current league.
Another hopeful comment by Chris from reddit on the subject of http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/232864/whats_coming_in_112b/

"
It's not so much yo-yo balancing as me becoming more involved in the balance again and changing stuff back that I didn't like. I completely trust the rest of the balance team, but people's individual design philosophies differ and you'll be seeing more of mine in the near future.

I'm reintroducing the development manifesto soon so I'll try to be more specific there.

I have high hopes now. It is better to have a firm direction and ideology that is being enforced, than having different ones contesting each other.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
The fundamental problem is extremely simple: instant (or almost instant) deaths + desync. If you have instant (or almost instant) deaths in the game, the desync is unacceptable. If you have desync in the game, instant (or almost instant) deaths are unacceptable. You can have either desyncs or instant (or almost instant) deaths in your game at the same time. To have both is unacceptable.

Let me show an example.

You fight vaal oversoul. He raises his arm and kills you with one blow. Reasons of death and player reaction to it is as follows:

1) You died because you wasn't fast enough and didn't manage to escape his attack. Common player reaction: "Oh man, I fucked up. That's my fault. Next time I do better!" (keeps playing, enjoing the game).

2) On your screen you succesfully dodge vaal's attack. You are like half the screen away from the boss and his arm. Still you die because of desync. Common player reaction: "What the fuck! I dodged that! Fucking game, fucking GGG!!111" (uninstalls the game after reaching his own threshold of desync deaths).

I hope GGG understand this simple rule of gamedesign.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info