More Uniques is a no brainer

I just started playing again, and like the current state of the game. But when I started looking into uniques I was a little shocked at how few there were. I thought for sure at this point in the game's life cycle there would be hundreds.

I kind of committed myself to one hand swords with my current build, and was horrified to see there were only 5 unique one handed swords to choose from. I mean what the hell?

So what's holding back the uniques? This should be the easiest kind of content to implement, all you really need is a decent 3D model.

In my opinion, GGG dropped the ball big time in regards to uniques. Also, where's the set items?
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
There are currently 237?(or somewhere around there) uniques with 3-5 being added with every patch(not hotfixes and what not). As for set items I don't believe there are any plans to add them...imo they would be...odd to implement at best.
Beyond_Bow_BobMKIII Level 80 Tornado Shot Scion
Last edited by Zeshin on Apr 11, 2014, 10:31:23 AM
Unique weapons are NOT, by any means, meant to be "Best in Slot" pure damage-wise. A well rolled high level rare will outdps any unique. What the uniques ARE designed for are build-enabling mechanics that you can't normally get with rares. These special mods usually come at a heavy price, sometimes crippling to certain builds. The game is more about min-maxing and balancing your build or "abusing" a certain mechanic while sacrificing another.

Edit: There are some "set" type items, that share a common theme or an owner lore-wise. These items usually have mods that complement each other or have good synergy together. But they don't give additional "set bonus" like in Diablo, since that would reduce the flexibility of builds for users.
Last edited by eyoo1109 on Apr 11, 2014, 10:48:21 AM
The diversity is pretty low.
There should be extreme items on both ends, and more really unique mods.

There could be a 6L tower shield,
fast 2h weapons with attack speed over 2.00-3.00
a helmet that converts all phys, ele, spell dmg into chaos,
items that grant auras...

But most unique items are just so generic and boring.
And a lot are useless too, like

"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
"
Quantume wrote:
The diversity is pretty low.
There should be extreme items on both ends, and more really unique mods.

There could be a 6L tower shield,
fast 2h weapons with attack speed over 2.00-3.00
a helmet that converts all phys, ele, spell dmg into chaos,
items that grant auras...

But most unique items are just so generic and boring.
And a lot are useless too, like

Those items would just be gamebreakingly powerful and leave almost no other options to improve your build... There are plenty of insanely powerful items if you use them right.
Most uniques is useless piece of shit and if they are not vendored instantly, it means they stored for chance recipe. Percentage of useful uniques is very low.
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
"
jstq wrote:
Most uniques is useless piece of shit and if they are not vendored instantly, it means they stored for chance recipe. Percentage of useful uniques is very low.

I agree that most uniques suck. Most of them are "leveling gear" at best. But they're really not meant to be best in slot for anything. GGG did mention that well-rolled rares will always out rank any and all uniques in all slots and that final builds would ideally contain just several build-enabling uniques and well-rolled rares in all other slots.
I'm not saying uniques need to be the ultimate powerful absolute best items. Since they are in the game however, they do need to be novel. Give them obscure mechanics that are hard but fun to play with or some novel visuals. A unique item doesn't need to be powerful, it needs to be interesting.

For instance,a weapon called "The Demon Bound". Lorewise, there is a demon trapped in the weapon giving it power. The weapons whispers you in chat constantly telling you to "KILL! KILL! KILL THEM ALL!". Mechanically, you get a damage bonus for giving the weapon blood (using it), and get cursed when it goes without blood. Not OP, but novel and interesting.

I feel dirty for drawing this comparison, but take farmville who releases new unique farm animals every week. Keeps people interested. Even one unique item a week or bi-weekly would generate a lot of buzz about the game, especially for game reviewers and writers desperate for something to write about. "This week's PoE Unique is a real doozy!"

I dunno, overall, the uniques I've been finding leave me feeling disappointed.
"
I'm not saying uniques need to be the ultimate powerful absolute best items. Since they are in the game however, they do need to be novel. Give them obscure mechanics that are hard but fun to play with or some novel visuals. A unique item doesn't need to be powerful, it needs to be interesting.

For instance,a weapon called "The Demon Bound". Lorewise, there is a demon trapped in the weapon giving it power. The weapons whispers you in chat constantly telling you to "KILL! KILL! KILL THEM ALL!". Mechanically, you get a damage bonus for giving the weapon blood (using it), and get cursed when it goes without blood. Not OP, but novel and interesting.

I feel dirty for drawing this comparison, but take farmville who releases new unique farm animals every week. Keeps people interested. Even one unique item a week or bi-weekly would generate a lot of buzz about the game, especially for game reviewers and writers desperate for something to write about. "This week's PoE Unique is a real doozy!"

I dunno, overall, the uniques I've been finding leave me feeling disappointed.

They do have some uniques with very nice themes, although not a whole lot. Take this new unique for example:

The theme matches incredibly well with Thor's lore and the possibilities are, well not exactly endless, but you can do really cool things with it. ^^
"
I just started playing again, and like the current state of the game. But when I started looking into uniques I was a little shocked at how few there were. I thought for sure at this point in the game's life cycle there would be hundreds.

I kind of committed myself to one hand swords with my current build, and was horrified to see there were only 5 unique one handed swords to choose from. I mean what the hell?

So what's holding back the uniques? This should be the easiest kind of content to implement, all you really need is a decent 3D model.

In my opinion, GGG dropped the ball big time in regards to uniques. Also, where's the set items?
Agreed. That means we should suggest a lot of uniques covering play styles, items for early and for late game, for bring a lot of customization aswell. Feel free to suggest your own uniques.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info