Improved Hailrake Fight in 1.1.3

Aw, he will be missed.

Goodnight sweet prince.
Does he now do something besides casting until hes out of mana then meleeing? If not, this should read "changed" as opposed to "improved".

And that said, he was fine with ice spear. The player won if they played well and died if they didnt, and could avoid the worst of the incoming damage with good positioning, something thats not likely to be the case with the incoming desync glacial cascade triple chain instagibs for those classes that lack a medium to long range skill off the bat.

Anyway, hope the amount of testing that went into this was somewhat higher than the amount that went into the invasion bosses. By which i mean higher than zero (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Also inb4 no cooldown glacial cascade trap spam, no soul glacial cascade vaal totems etc etc~
IGN: KoTao
"
KoTao wrote:
testing

so if he crits with this it is probably 100% oneshot
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
Hmmm.. Sounds interesting with the Hailrake redesigning.

I do however wonder why you don't harden fights based on their quest reward. For example: The Deep Dweller in Flooded Depths and especially Fairgraves in the Ship Graveyard are really underwhelming fights compared to the powerful reward they provide!

Hailrake is a nice and difficult encounter, but he provides a quicksilver flask ;-) I know it becomes handy in the begining but still... :-)

Crossing my fingers that you'll make most signatur boss encounters harder so they doesn't feel so bad compared to the invasion bosses! :-)
IGN: Caydranth
"
KoTao wrote:

Anyway, hope the amount of testing that went into this was somewhat higher than the amount that went into the invasion bosses. By which i mean higher than zero (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Actually, I think the invasion bosses was one of the best things GGG has pulled off. Those scary boss fights felt so challenging

Yeah, I died like 25 times before I figured them all out, but that's part of the experience in my opinion!

Keep making the game hard and when people die to invasion bosses, it means that my unique items becomes more valuable :-))
"
If this in any way makes the Hailrake area of the game more easily passable by new players on the first try, then it is probably a mistake to change it.

There is a certain type of player you guys want playing PoE. Hailrake works as a good way to cull a percentage of the unwanted before they get too invested in something they will not like (or support) further down the line. It is an HONEST way to tell people right off the hop that this is how their POE experience will be all the way through. It gives them a chance to bail out very early on.

It's honest. That is a good thing.

Tricking people into staying by easing the early experience is a bad idea unless the easing follows through the rest of the game as well. It would only lead to more raging and unhappiness.

Besides, the encounter works well IMO. It can be brutal OR easy, depending on ones level of knowledge and skill. Just the way a proper boss fight should be.

Just a personal (probably incorrect) opinion. No hate meant here. At the end of the day, it's your guys' game.

Thanks for PoE, Chris.

1+

Hailrake is a nicely designed boss. If you play him good, you survive, if you do not, you die!
chris;

where is the witch tree update?

please!
I'm not wild about this change. Ice Spear can be trivialized by any build simply by staying in close range. The new fight is going to be much, much easier for ranged characters and much, much harder for melee. There are already far too many fights that are trivially easy if you can kite at range and much more difficult if you're melee; why go out of your way and redesign existing content to make it fit the pattern?
I get this. As the first quest boss in the game (I am ignoring you, Hillock) the fight should be manageable in Normal so that new players don't get kicked in the nuts too soon and for the reasons they don't understand.

They will be smacked around later anyway, don't worry.

For instance, here's how you can troll and kill unexpecting experienced players later on: exiles using Cast on Death and some nice Vaal skill (like Vaal Detonate Dead).

I'm not sure but I think this might be in use already - 2 days ago I got killed by an exile with what looked like Cast on Death + Vaal Summon Skeletons.
Shavronne wrapped Kaom's waist,
with her gilded purple boots.
"You want my sockets?"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info