Pure DoT idea (seeking input)

I misread the poison arrow wiki page; I was under the impression that it didn't work with traps or mines and I wanted this to be a pure DoT, apply it and watch kind of build. I didn't want to switch weapons to fire an arrow and what not. In reality, it doesn't work with ranged totem. My mistake. I will implement this into the build instead of/in addition to desecrate (I might still use this with devouring totem). Thanks for the ideas.

One more question regarding poison arrow + remote mine. When it detonates, does it just release the cloud with the mine as a center point or does it fire an arrow? If it DOES fire an arrow, how does it choose it's target?
Edited the OP to implement some of the knowledge all of you have shared regarding skills. Also added some gear info, though not a whole lot.

Thanks everyone for the input, keep it coming! Can't wait to start this build.... It's gonna be all kinds of fun.
What do you mean it doesn't work with Ranged Attack Totem? (It works but wouldn't be very good...)

When you detonate a mine with Poison Arrow it fires at an enemy within the mine targeting radius (can be increased). This, in my opinion, is better than having a cloud pop out right away, at least for mines (would probably be better with traps though).

If you're interested, here's my current skill tree for my build:

EDIT: I just read the first post. There are a few things you may want to consider. If you want to use poison arrow with traps/mines you have to have a bow equipped while throwing/placing/detonating the trap/mine.

Also, Viper Strike and Poison Arrow aren't your everyday weapon skills. They act more like spells since the damage increases from leveling the gem (without being related to weapon damage).

Therefor with Poison Arrow, the optimal bow would have +2 to level of bow gems in it & +1 to level of gems in it. Then link it with Empower to get a total of +6 levels to the gem.
That's sick. I have +2 to bow gems and no Empower atm and it boosts the damage a lot. My damage is very good despite the Poison Arrow gem still being lvl 17.

Same goes for Viper Strike, which is why Bino's Kitchen Knife may not be the best. Unless you dual wield it with a knife that has +2 to melee gems & +1 to gems. Besides, Bino's is expensive.
Last edited by OatmealOgre on Apr 11, 2014, 5:33:08 PM
The wiki states that poison arrow does not work with ranged attack totem. Either way, I'm back to cutting PA out of the build, I don't want to deal with weapon switches and what not. I'll probably switch to desecrate + remote mine.

Regarding Bino's; you are probably correct that VS would benefit more from +skill daggers. And since, like you noted, Bino's is SOOO expensive, I'll probably end up going that route either way. Thanks a lot for your input. The more I learn, the more I can improve this build while staying within the parameters I've planned. Every bit helps.

Edit: Adjusted the OP to reflect some of your advice, as well as to replace PA with desecrate.
Last edited by Sir_Dibble2 on Apr 11, 2014, 6:23:14 PM
Hey,
lets get a bit deeper... Should this build be a malee or range?

Malee Links would be:
Viper+Splash+MultiStrike+Faster Attacks (+Empower) (+iir)
GGRR (+R +B)

Mobility:
Whirlink Blades/Leapslap+Faster Attacks+Blood Magic

Auras:
Grace+Determination+Reduced Mana+Purity of Elements/Hast
=> Would we have enough mana to run three auras?

Singletarget
Viperstrike+faster Attacks+Multi Strike+Life gain on Hit?
GGRR

Any suggestions?
With this Setup im thinking about a Scion Start for the + amor / ev nodes and then go to the shadow /duelist path later on... hmmm
I was definitely thinking melee. I didn't think to use splash on viper strike cause I was mostly going to use it for single target. Scion could be an ok start.... It's smack dab in the middle of the 2 main areas with DoT nodes. Also, I believe I planned my build to "hopefully" run 3 auras, but sometimes my math is a little off and I end up with no mana to cast hahaha.
desecrate traps cyclone cast on crit detonate dead. u can 27 corpses with 3 throws of desecrate multitrap.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
I tried Dual Wield, Acrobatics and Block build.

Keyelement: 2x Ungils and Stone of Lazhwar Lapis Amulet (3 - 4c)

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYABbUOSBGWFSAY2xmGG-AdviHAIuoj9iQ8JpUnqSpNLOkwcTN4NJM6Qj8nR35JE0lRSn1KyEt4TipQQlKvUzVVS1YtVvpZbVpIWm1br1-YYqxjcGVNZ6Bn_G1sbXtuaW-edEF2gnfXfyt_xoMJhNmHdongjDaQDZMfk_ybtZ2qoi6ksadcrEesf61Krs-zDrTRtUi2QbtNvqfAD8M6xLjGosgMykrNJs3q0k3UI9X41orWnd0N3V_dqN3n5Y7mWOc66NbrLOuO7BjuDu_j7_D8xf-T

Only different: You can only run one aura... (Grace)
forget desecrate, dps is definately too low compared to poison arrow.
IGN TylordRampage

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info