Pure DoT idea (seeking input)

So one thing I realized is that I've never seen a real DoT based build, maybe because it's not viable endgame... Who knows. Either way, I'd like to try one.

So here's my idea in a nutshell, starting with the Passives:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA_5MhwLMObWy1SFM1bXubtVVLwzoZiow2JpWJ4MpKVi37CVBC5lhvnhmGrH_22qIukx-DCaxHGo8OSEkTRnHrLBGWnarhiCpNcLt_xmKsHao_JxUg2RMnqdadX5gs6YPbL29abVlt3Q38SyQ8Hb5br_zFznGnXE4qGNtW-megbBbsGElRtkEppa1K7g50QYd2j_q00WqTUq8j9t1fSn1JO3aC1e3NJu_wu002e8gMwA9aSGf8tKPSTb6nbmmE2cS4ZU3V-Ed-q8WkseWO44TuFbd1

Skills:

Spoiler
Viper strike for single targets... Melee damage nodes? Nonsense! We're cranking up the DoT and attack speed for quick application purposes. Link it with faster attacks, Increased duration, and item rarity. Can't think of anything else that have good synergy with the DoT.

Fire traps for... well, let's not be coy here. We're throwing these suckers under EVERYTHING.
Link it with Increased Burning damage, Chance to ignite, Increased AoE, Elemental proliferation or Fire penetration (although this, and conc effect sadly, won't boost the DoT as far as I know).

Desecrate in tandem with firetrap and viper strike for some more of that sweet DoT. Link it with Remote mine, Increased AoE, Concentrated effect or Increased duration. Whatever suits your fancy. Also could be used with devouring totem to heal up a bit.

Lookie there.... we don't even need a 6L, or 5L, to kill things. Yay...

Vulnerability, and Flammability/Temporal chains if you've got a nifty +1 curse unique, to boost the DoT more. I'm leaning more towards Temporal chains cause it will be easier to keep mobs corralled in the danger zone. We do want to sit back and watch their health bar drain while we drink a nice cold one, right?

I plan on running Haste and Grace for movement/attack speed and the added armour respectively. Maybe Vitality too for some added laziness... who wants to click buttons to leech or pop flasks? Not I.

The rest is up to you. Whirling blades, devouring totem, bear trap? Whatever... summon some skeles if you want. I don't care.

Gear:

Spoiler
Bino's kitchen knife could be the best weapon for this build, though a dagger with +gem lvl and/or +melee gem skill level would probably out perform Bino's and for cheaper too. Carcass jack couldn't hurt as it will boost both poison arrow and fire trap nicely. The +1 curse boosts, as mentioned under skills, would be ideal.

I suppose anything else that boosts chaos or fire damage is suiting. Aside from that, movement speed (so we can run circles and watch them baddies wither away) and the mandatory resists and +life are obvious winners.

If you have any suggestions, past/current experience with DoT builds, or just want to tell me all the reasons this won't work let's hear it! I may even postpone my Trapper I just started (man, fire trap is SWEEEEET) to get going on this guy.
Last edited by Sir_Dibble2 on Apr 11, 2014, 6:21:54 PM
Oops. Did I mention we get to sit a laugh at reflect mobs burning alive? No precautions needed. Double yay....

Edit: I just discovered Bino's kitchen knife and, while way out of my current price range, it is PERFECT! So I have something to work towards for this build before I start it.
Last edited by Sir_Dibble2 on Apr 9, 2014, 10:50:19 PM
BTW Poison Arrow has been buffed ... you might wanna try dat ...with some concentrated effect
"
Skelworath wrote:
BTW Poison Arrow has been buffed ... you might wanna try dat ...with some concentrated effect

Maybe... It complicates things a lot, weapon switching, more buttons to press. I wanted more of a lazy watch em die kind of build.
I contemplated puncture too but the DoT (due to me taking 0 one hand/dagger damage nodes) would be negligible, at best.

I'll definitely check out poison arrow, maybe I'll decide to add it in. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated!

Edit: I totally forgot about desecrate. I think I'll try that in combination with devouring totem to keep my life up.
Last edited by Sir_Dibble2 on Apr 10, 2014, 3:06:36 AM
hey,
i got the same idea yesterday... :D

here is my wip:

My thought was this:
A Trap Build which does main DMG as Chaos DMG...
Throw Traps until 1 enemy dies then the desecrate trap...

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA3nfVT_v1tDjlGYw2UEKiLl3ycNVwUsBR44TuFbd1iGs2Ped0YeLe9ujWmyYyAbIZz3oi6pu1GYr7CfbaGo_DOong5liTH0kTVi2sfy1HHNzxdn_GoqMnqVptJDynXElR7Bi00XaCyAyjigX5FfD5Yxrb7g5W-nRB3V-7TWf8_MVnoId2Sn3dDVuvGNutSlKvzSYRlp2j_Ktwu9kTL2_BxYhC8h2P-tvnMhim51Mxb7yzA8HzbRktH4-mRKtVriycrrMFQkGWghDfsIIe2wtSUz1fykpGK06bdPGFMg==

Weapon:
Dagger/Wand - +Spell Dmg +Crit Dmg +Crit Chance
(Maybe Dual Wield)

Shield
Rathpith Globe - Optional
Shield - + Spell DMG + res

Armor:
Evasion(EV/ES) - +Res +Life/Mana

Boots
Deerstalker - (MUST HAVE!)

Belt
Sunblast - (MUST HAVE!)

Head:
Rime Gaze - Optional for DPS
The Three Dragons - Optional for Res
Helmet - +res +life/mana

Gloves:
Doedre's Tenure - Optional / Must Have -> Nice DPS Boost, but if u have low Res Choose other Gloves
EV/ES Gloves - +res +mana/life

Rings:
Dream Fragments - Optional
Perandus Signet - Optional
Shavronne's Revelation - Optional
Voideye - Optional (for a decoy totem for eg)
Rings - crit chance/multiplier / res / life / mana

Amulets:
Voll's Devotion - Optional
Amulets - What you need: mana reg / life / mana / idc

Bandits:
Oak
Kill
Kill

Ok lets do the Links then:
Head 4:
(RGB+G/B) Reduced Duration + Trap + Ice Nova + Multi Traps/Cold Pen / Ele Prolif
or
(GGRB) Bear Trap + Add Fire Dmg + IRR + Culling

Armor:
4L: (GGBB) Trap + desecrate + Concentrated Effect + Increased Area of Effect
5L: (+R) + reduced mana
6L: (+R) + Increased Duration / + empower

Weapon:
Spelltotem + Summon Skeletons + Blind

Shield/Weapon:
Reduced Mana + Discipline/grace + Clarity

Boots:
Shock Nova + Reduced Duration + Multi Traps + Ele Prolif
Reduced Duration + Trap + Ice Nova + Multi Traps/Cold Pen / Ele Prolif
Looks like a fun build! Although it does veer pretty far from the pure DoT idea. Thanks for the input.
whats with:
trap + multi trap + poisen arrow + +%%AOE ? :D
"
XRacKS wrote:
whats with:
trap + multi trap + poisen arrow + +%%AOE ? :D

I assume you're referring to the work in progress posted above? Just clarifying because there's now
a couple builds going on in this thread hahaha. Either way, I don't see what you're referring to... My build
Doesn't utilize PA at all and I couldn't find anywhere else that it'a mentioned.

Edit: Now that I think about it (regarding above posters build) why would you set desecration on a trap?
You can just cast it under them.
Last edited by Sir_Dibble2 on Apr 10, 2014, 5:01:16 PM
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Trap_%28support_gem%29

trap gives a +dmg% boost but i dont know if it works on the dot...
ur build would use firetrap + viperstrike
"my build" is just traps only... so its not far away from ur build imo... just the style is diffrent...

some guys are linking trap + poisenarrow to maximise the effect in some kind...
I had a character with Poison Arrow on Remote Mine as main dmg, which I stopped playing with around lvl 50-60 until recent patch with poison arrow buff. It's now lvl 75 and I can just say it's very much viable for endgame. I'm going MoM, IR, EB, most mine nodes and some DoT nodes.

Only problem is it's a bit low on survivability.
I use puncture mine for single target and against chaos resistant mobs.

May also note that it's awesome in PvP.

EDIT: Also, Poison Arrow DoT is superior to Desecrate. Desecrate only does about a third of the dmg of Poison Arrow (comparing lvl 20 gem).
Last edited by OatmealOgre on Apr 11, 2014, 11:52:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info