PATH OF EXILE'S PRIORITY POLL

"
The pirate one? No, that was one of the ideas I shot to the devs that got a "being worked on" response. I'm really happy it's there regardless of the author!

epic that means your's is still under construction, can't wait :p

(and yes obviously i thought the pirate map was gonna be your creation :) )
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Antnee wrote:
Gonna throw it out there now; I would be in favor of an ingame poll every once in a while. Game is free, after all, so the least you can do is answer a question every now and then.

This would be the only way any poll of this type would be worth anything. But by doing so, GGG would essentially be obligating themselves to obeying the results of the poll.

They'd be relinquishing control of the game to the players. Their credo is about how this game is made as something THEY'D want to play. To keep their vision intact, they would be best off never polling the players.

"
"
Antnee wrote:
Gonna throw it out there now; I would be in favor of an ingame poll every once in a while. Game is free, after all, so the least you can do is answer a question every now and then.
This would be the only way any poll of this type would be worth anything. But by doing so, GGG would essentially be obligating themselves to obeying the results of the poll.

They'd be relinquishing control of the game to the players. Their credo is about how this game is made as something THEY'D want to play. To keep their vision intact, they would be best off never polling the players.
You win the thread. Fireworks will be detonated in your honor.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Antnee wrote:
I would be in favor of an ingame poll every once in a while. Game is free, after all, so the least you can do is answer a question every now and then.

I vote against it. As this poll shows, average people are not intelligent enough to know what's best for the game. Far too many games have been ruined by listening to the players, making a game should definitely not be a democratic process. The only way to shape this great game even better is by same design principles that lead to it's creation.
"
Alhoon wrote:
As this poll shows, average people are not intelligent enough to know what's best for the game.
The most important issue to the game now is lag/desync/graphics-performance issues.

The #1 survey response is lag/desync/graphics-performance issues.

I mean, I still totally believe average people are not intelligent enough to know what's best for the game; I consider it to be essentially a lucky guess on their part. But I'm curious about your implication that they are somehow wrong.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
You win the thread. Fireworks will be detonated in your honor.

It's interesting to note that detonating my fireworks and 'winning' is pretty much all I log into PoE for now. Might log in just to celebrate the winning of this thread. :D
"

fair enough.

at the very least though, ggg should realize that in order for them to see the game come to fruition is if it will be commercially viable and sustainable.

it takes a lot to be strong-willed and resist going all pop (i.e. that is where the $$$ is).

at this point, i can already see a bit of a tug-o-war which i dare say is smartly being played by ggg. giving an inch towards commercial viability but at the same time maintain the game at it's core.
Last edited by patataz on Apr 11, 2014, 12:26:31 PM
I don't intend to build in order to have clients; I intend to have clients in order to build.
— Howard Roark, the Fountainhead
"
"
Antnee wrote:

If they released the results of the poll publicly, I would kind of, tentatively agree. But only kind of.

Lets say the results of the official poll matched the user made polls out there, and the #1 concern was desync. What does that change, exactly? Are we all so naive that we think GGG isn't painfully aware that desync is the biggest elephant in the room? More to the point, does it change the fact that they can't do shit about it without tearing their infrastructure to pieces?

Now lets pretend the results are something completely unexpected; 75% of the playerbase votes that the Aug recipe is their biggest complaint about the game. GGG now has a way to see this in an official capacity, and being such a minor change, they push it through. Would anyone (who isn't a complete troll) really see this as relinquishing control of their vision to the public at large?

This sort of data collection could really come in handy if the results are weighted towards those who really have skin in the game. Your account has a level 95 char, or a level 60 one with 4000 hours played? Your opinion on endgame/reaching endgame has a heck of a lot more weight than an account with a handful of chars under level 10. Etc etc, extrapolate these examples as you see fit.

TL:DR, I would much rather have GGG act on well-executed data collection than skimming what the 1% of whiners on the forum are flaming on about that week.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Antnee, I am not disagreeing with you. But I also think that the data collection they do through the online nature of the game tells them most of what they need to know already.

I really believe they don't want to have the players making any decisions. It's been clear that this is their creation. The message has always been that we as players either like what they come up with and play, or we don't and don't.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info