Content Update 1.1.2 and Checkpoints

"
add otpion to sort items in tab.

You know what else would be awesome? A quick textfield you can type into that highlights items in inventory/stash that contain the same text. Would be nice to type in "rarity" and have all items with rarity bonuses glow. ^^
Hailrake HYPE!!!!!111!!1!!111
Very pleased with the patch so far.

- I enjoy Glacial cascade, at least at low level. Will need to test it more but i like it. Just have to find how to increase the phys damage with a support gems.
- That buff to Arctic breath is impressive. Almost too good to be true. Glad i leveled a gem. :)

The only thing i'm not sure what to think about yet is Checkpoints.
From OP:
"
Experienced Path of Exile players know to place portals before entering difficult fights. If they die during the fight, then they can take their portal to return near the combat and attempt it again. We've found that newer players don't understand that they should do this, and often face a long run back to the place they died. Sometimes they have to run through multiple areas, and if they have been out of them for too long then they have a lot of monsters to re-fight. This is especially noticeable early on with side areas like the Tidal Island - if a new player dies to Hailrake, they probably aren't going to have a great experience working out what to do next.

Being able to resurrect at the most recent Checkpoint solves this problem and allows new players to get back into the combat quickly, without confusion. It has less effect on experienced players (who already know how to use portals) and no effect on hardcore players who can't resurrect anyway.
If the purpose is to teach new players how to make good use of portals (which is good) then sorry but it does not teach them anything. The game is automatically doing it for them, that's not teaching.

Because of Chris' favourite trolling tool, i know you're aware of the famous saying 'Give a man a fish....."
With Checkpoints, you're giving new players a fish, you're not teaching them how to fish.

I'm not saying you should not help new players, on the contrary.
But to help new players start and understand the game, what would maybe a good thing is a proper tutorial which would teaches them all the basics so they can then play by themselves.
"
AzureFishy wrote:
"
still waiting on a retail version so we can play it offline and no issue about desync and stuff…
I would pay 60 USD easily

Single player + LAN functionality would be awesome. Me and my pals never minded playing with off-line character files that were unusable on the Battle.net version, and the ability to play anytime we want without lag or desyncs would be awesome.

The game is generally supported by supporter packs, it's free to play, and the only way to play your characters on-line will be through the main version so I can't imagine piracy being an issue.

"
p.s.... dying without a portal was a good lesson only needed to learn once or twice. It does seem that without having to run back now makes the game less intense. There was a penalty for dorking up and dying before.... now, game is simply less challenge even to a newb.

Get rid of it for Cruel and Merciless, and make the "Resurrect from Checkpoint" consume a portal. Show an icon next to the button that shows how many portals you have, and if you're out of portals, you have to resurrect from town.

I like your idea. It keeps penalty there while educating player in friendly, fluffy manner so he does not cry like the sensitive person.
lol, too much QQing in this thread...

i believe checkpoints are optional, so if you feel like you're a real pro, then dont use it and leave it to those who would like to, coz not everyone plays the same way.

besides, if you want to be a real pro (or at least sound like one in the forums) and want to play a game mode that does not have the checkpoint at all, well there's hardcore for you.

and while you're at hardcore, dont use alt + F4, coz if you dont need hand holding or an easy way out, then you should be willing to start a new character from level 1 everytime your exile dies...

"
patataz wrote:

i believe checkpoints are optional, so if you feel like you're a real pro, then dont use it and leave it to those who would like to, coz not everyone plays the same way.

This.
"People ask me why I do this at my age. People are rude."
"
patataz wrote:

besides, if you want to be a real pro (or at least sound like one in the forums) and want to play a game mode that does not have the checkpoint at all, well there's hardcore for you.

and while you're at hardcore, dont use alt + F4, coz if you dont need hand holding or an easy way out, then you should be willing to start a new character from level 1 everytime your exile dies...

Come on, be serious, there's nothing 'pro' or 'hardcore' in opening a portal !

In OP, Chris says checkpoints are here to help new players, not to help the lazy old ones. But if you want pretend you don't see the difference between teaching something to someone and doing it for them, then ok, go ahead.
"
Hamallainen wrote:
"
patataz wrote:

Come on, be serious, there's nothing 'pro' or 'hardcore' in opening a portal !

In OP, Chris says checkpoints are here to help new players, not to help the lazy old ones. But if you want pretend you don't see the difference between teaching something to someone and doing it for them, then ok, go ahead.

yes, im serious! :)

and though i agree that Chris mentioned about helping new players, nowhere did he mention it's to help lazy old ones. so, i dont know where you got that from and in that case, it's just your opinion. and before you go into interpreting what Chris meant, don't!

and about the self righteous act of teaching... lol, who says player 'x' wants to be taught this or that. it's a game, for crying out loud. it's about having options and variations on how a game can be played and not an instrument to teach a lesson, (well, it could be, but it's not the purpose why this game exist). and while i know the difference between teaching someone to fish as opposed to giving him the fish, it does not necessarily apply here as this is a game, which to some players is meant to be enjoyed and be entertained or even just pass away the time.

if your idea of fun is to test out your skills to the hilt, then by all means, choose the options available to you. but dont make the mistake of thinking that everyones idea of fun is the same as yours. always remember, to each his own.

and if you agree there's nothing pro or hardcore in opening a portal, what's your beef about the option being available. if you dont want it, then dont use it.

this is a game where players should have fun and i think GGG is moving in the right direction by offering a variety of options without really changing the core strengths of the game.

and yeah, this is just my opinion too :)
Last edited by patataz on Apr 7, 2014, 10:35:21 PM
Dear GGG,

If you say we're going to get a retail version of the game (no release date confirmed), I'll send you my money right now as a pre-pre-order, just so you know...

"
patataz wrote:

and though i agree that Chris mentioned about helping new players, nowhere did he mention it's to help lazy old ones. so, i dont know where you got that from and in that case, it's just your opinion. and before you go into interpreting what Chris meant, don't!
Maybe i've been misunderstood or maybe a word is missing in your sentence but i said 'In OP, Chris says checkpoints are here to help new players, not to help the lazy old ones.' Please, don't change my words.
And about me 'interpreting what Chris meant' sorry but i don't feel like i'm interpreting. I just read his words. And what are his words :
"
Experienced Path of Exile players know to place portals before entering difficult fights. If they die during the fight, then they can take their portal to return near the combat and attempt it again. We've found that newer players don't understand that they should do this, and often face a long run back to the place they died. Sometimes they have to run through multiple areas, and if they have been out of them for too long then they have a lot of monsters to re-fight. This is especially noticeable early on with side areas like the Tidal Island - if a new player dies to Hailrake, they probably aren't going to have a great experience working out what to do next.

Being able to resurrect at the most recent Checkpoint solves this problem and allows new players to get back into the combat quickly, without confusion. It has less effect on experienced players (who already know how to use portals) and no effect on hardcore players who can't resurrect anyway.
So yes, checkpoints are introduced for new players. Why do you say i'm interpreting ? But if it's also helpful for you, great.
What i don't understand is, you as an experienced player, do you dislike opening a portal when entering a dangerous place ? Or do you sometimes forget to open a portal ? And in a situation where you died without a portal, did you lose something ? loot ? I mean, it occasionally happens to me to forget it but what did i lost, 1 or 2 crappy rares, that's all.
I don't see in which situation checkpoints are really useful for a player with some experience (except a guy who said he was often disconnected because of his computer not being good enough and then losing portals).

"
patataz wrote:

and about the self righteous act of teaching... lol, who says player 'x' wants to be taught this or that. it's a game, for crying out loud. it's about having options and variations on how a game can be played and not an instrument to teach a lesson, (well, it could be, but it's not the purpose why this game exist). and while i know the difference between teaching someone to fish as opposed to giving him the fish, it does not necessarily apply here as this is a game, which to some players is meant to be enjoyed and be entertained or even just pass away the time.
You make it sound like an awful school lesson. Don't tell me you progressed in the game without learning anything about the game.
All the people asking questions in global chat and in forums, they don't want to learn something about the game ?

"
patataz wrote:

if your idea of fun is to test out your skills to the hilt, then by all means, choose the options available to you. but dont make the mistake of thinking that everyones idea of fun is the same as yours. always remember, to each his own.
I've never pretended i was a good player because i'm not.

"
patataz wrote:

and if you agree there's nothing pro or hardcore in opening a portal, what's your beef about the option being available. if you dont want it, then dont use it.

this is a game where players should have fun and i think GGG is moving in the right direction by offering a variety of options without really changing the core strengths of the game.

and yeah, this is just my opinion too :)
I didn't realise opening a portal could ruin the fun for some people so if it's the case then ok for an option for them. I just don't understand.
And yes, of course we all say what WE think is good which might not be universally good.

English is not my language. So, sorry if i'm not very clear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info