Content Update 1.1.2 and Checkpoints

Cool
VGazer/SmashGazer/ChargeGazer/PyroGazer/BoomGazer/FrozenGazer/FlashGazer/BGazer/SlashGazer/ScionGazer/BlockGazer

Fish Sticks.
So, do your flasks get refilled when you die, as if you went to town? Or instead, they retain the charges that they contained before you died? Depending on the option, it'll make the game considerably easier or harder...
"
Single player + LAN functionality would be awesome. Me and my pals never minded playing with off-line character files that were unusable on the Battle.net version, and the ability to play anytime we want without lag or desyncs would be awesome.

The game is generally supported by supporter packs, it's free to play, and the only way to play your characters on-line will be through the main version so I can't imagine piracy being an issue.

This seems an excellent idea. Add to this as NWN did: a toolkit and the ability to DM and create new maps and you could reward excellent submissions of new maps and leverage some submitted content to open source. Reducing development costs.

Not sure there isn't but would like to see CTF tournaments for guilds/parties added to the events list. Could hold once a year tournaments too as DOTA2 does with appropriate prizes. Although I would make the CTF tournaments 'hardcore' for that instance. In other words.... your dead your out of the current battle but if your team wins ...you can start the next.

As for the portal vs checkpoint word war...there is already a built in XP penalty in Cruel and Merciless.

Love the continuous content update and the game in general. Thanks GGG.
Last edited by Olbrannon on Apr 8, 2014, 9:55:06 AM
"
patataz wrote:

"
and if you agree there's nothing pro or hardcore in opening a portal, what's your beef about the option being available. if you dont want it, then dont use it.

this is a game where players should have fun and i think GGG is moving in the right direction by offering a variety of options without really changing the core strengths of the game.

and yeah, this is just my opinion too :)

I didn't realise opening a portal could ruin the fun for some people so if it's the case then ok for an option for them. I just don't understand.
And yes, of course we all say what WE think is good which might not be universally good.

English is not my language. So, sorry if i'm not very clear.

I believe there exists a significant number of hard core ROLE play gamers out there that would love a chance to take some of this content to local lans and DM lan parties. Not sure a ROLE play league would work.
Last edited by Olbrannon on Apr 8, 2014, 10:10:01 AM
"
Hamallainen wrote:
"
patataz wrote:

and though i agree that Chris mentioned about helping new players, nowhere did he mention it's to help lazy old ones. so, i dont know where you got that from and in that case, it's just your opinion. and before you go into interpreting what Chris meant, don't!
Maybe i've been misunderstood or maybe a word is missing in your sentence but i said 'In OP, Chris says checkpoints are here to help new players, not to help the lazy old ones.' Please, don't change my words.
And about me 'interpreting what Chris meant' sorry but i don't feel like i'm interpreting. I just read his words. And what are his words :
"
Experienced Path of Exile players know to place portals before entering difficult fights. If they die during the fight, then they can take their portal to return near the combat and attempt it again. We've found that newer players don't understand that they should do this, and often face a long run back to the place they died. Sometimes they have to run through multiple areas, and if they have been out of them for too long then they have a lot of monsters to re-fight. This is especially noticeable early on with side areas like the Tidal Island - if a new player dies to Hailrake, they probably aren't going to have a great experience working out what to do next.

Being able to resurrect at the most recent Checkpoint solves this problem and allows new players to get back into the combat quickly, without confusion. It has less effect on experienced players (who already know how to use portals) and no effect on hardcore players who can't resurrect anyway.
So yes, checkpoints are introduced for new players. Why do you say i'm interpreting ? But if it's also helpful for you, great.
What i don't understand is, you as an experienced player, do you dislike opening a portal when entering a dangerous place ? Or do you sometimes forget to open a portal ? And in a situation where you died without a portal, did you lose something ? loot ? I mean, it occasionally happens to me to forget it but what did i lost, 1 or 2 crappy rares, that's all.
I don't see in which situation checkpoints are really useful for a player with some experience (except a guy who said he was often disconnected because of his computer not being good enough and then losing portals).

"
patataz wrote:

and about the self righteous act of teaching... lol, who says player 'x' wants to be taught this or that. it's a game, for crying out loud. it's about having options and variations on how a game can be played and not an instrument to teach a lesson, (well, it could be, but it's not the purpose why this game exist). and while i know the difference between teaching someone to fish as opposed to giving him the fish, it does not necessarily apply here as this is a game, which to some players is meant to be enjoyed and be entertained or even just pass away the time.
You make it sound like an awful school lesson. Don't tell me you progressed in the game without learning anything about the game.
All the people asking questions in global chat and in forums, they don't want to learn something about the game ?

"
patataz wrote:

if your idea of fun is to test out your skills to the hilt, then by all means, choose the options available to you. but dont make the mistake of thinking that everyones idea of fun is the same as yours. always remember, to each his own.
I've never pretended i was a good player because i'm not.

"
patataz wrote:

and if you agree there's nothing pro or hardcore in opening a portal, what's your beef about the option being available. if you dont want it, then dont use it.

this is a game where players should have fun and i think GGG is moving in the right direction by offering a variety of options without really changing the core strengths of the game.

and yeah, this is just my opinion too :)
I didn't realise opening a portal could ruin the fun for some people so if it's the case then ok for an option for them. I just don't understand.
And yes, of course we all say what WE think is good which might not be universally good.

English is not my language. So, sorry if i'm not very clear.

I will be brief to prevent turning this into a novel

It all boils down to a matter of 'choice'.

GGG offers a choice between portals and checkpoints. And while everyone learns how to play the game, each and everyone will always choose what they wish to learn, if and when a choice is available.

you dont like the checkpoint option, then dont use it.

okay, im done with this thread, if you wish to continue, have at it :)
Last edited by patataz on Apr 8, 2014, 1:11:35 PM
"
patataz wrote:
[...]
I will be brief to prevent turning this into a novel

It all boils down to a matter of 'choice'.

GGG offers a choice between portals and checkpoints. And while everyone learns how to play the game, each and everyone will always choose what they wish to learn, if and when a choice is available.

you dont like the checkpoint option, then dont use it.

okay, im done with this thread, if you wish to continue, have at it :)

Well played. This is my philosophy too. I've been playing for two years and still can't predict every death situation. I also, perhaps more importantly, don't want to play softcore as though it's hardcore : if I want to play ultra-cautious, I can play the perma-death leagues.

Having to return from the last waypoint when there's no open a portal is just another time sink imo. It doesn't make the game any harder given most content can be completely skipped on the way back.

Anyhoo, peace. Each to his own. Thanks GGG for taking the drudgery out of death in softcore leagues.

There has to be a low point where some people stop complaining because it's just not worth it, and I have yet to see it. - Squeakypaw, 2013
Ground Slam shall be known as "Find Your Own Way Inland Exile Slam" -from now on.
Great idea with checkpoints.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Cool. I really like this checkpoint addition.
Also: thanks for appealing to the recipe hunters! oh and the blockchance builds!

Thoughts
- Will Glacial Cascade even be useful without multiple projectiles?
- New vaal gem additions to the updates are great, but I feel like I'm not even getting many vaal gem drops in merci ambush. The ones I do get are usually only found during party farming, and they're typically the more common ones like cold snap. edit: I prefer to solo play.
Last edited by vivaspain on Apr 9, 2014, 7:37:12 PM
Cater to the dummies. Yay.
Never wrestle with a pig. You'll only get muddy, and the pig likes it!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

"De plumber fixes de sync with de wrench." - Robert_Paulson

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info