help me theorycraft a chaos damage build

I want to use viper strike as a main attack with all the +chaos and +aoe damage nodes and the +skill duration nodes. I wonder if I can do good damage independent of weapon stats.

Here's a draft build at 90 points. http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBdoLBBEF0GYaDCbQM3Q3vDjIJSRPIDHgNbBbOcV-YGJEkm2-ekx8UIGf8Sn0ppc0mkycVICepTirrLFivpzBnoG6q7BgnLz8nwzpyuw48Hb5fP1KvdEEkPOOfbEZQR_ZIrUr8SypNf8asR9-_SVHKSp_Lu038xYzP5li00Rjbp1y5zd1fxthbr0rIHNwB54ngLOlYY4PboW2pbjboRnG18txzf-NZbYd2FHFW-jH7PfxybFpt

Stats:
+80 to Intelligence
+190 to Strength
+160 to Dexterity

Keystones:
Unwavering Stance: Cannot Evade enemy Attacks
Unwavering Stance: Cannot be Stunned
Iron Reflexes: Converts all Evasion Rating to Armour. Dexterity provides no bonus to Evasion Rating
Blood Magic: Removes all mana. Spend Life instead of Mana for Skills

Life:
Enemies Cannot Leech Life From You
+46 to maximum Life
3% of Life Regenerated per Second
180% increased maximum Life

Mana:
5% reduced Mana Cost of Skills

Resistance:
+3% to Chaos Resistance
+10% to all Elemental Resistances

Cast Speed:
6% increased Cast Speed

Armour:
58% increased Armour
24% increased Evasion Rating and Armour

Evasion:
50% increased Evasion Rating

Attack Speed:
8% increased Attack Speed with Swords
8% increased Attack Speed with Axes
28% increased Attack Speed

Movement:
6% increased Movement Speed

Accuracy:
15% increased Accuracy Rating with Axes
30% increased Accuracy Rating
15% increased Accuracy Rating with Swords

Misc:
89% increased Damage over Time
73% increased Chaos Damage
45% increased Skill Effect Duration
I'd drop the DOT node waaaayyyy up in shadow/witch land and get resolute and work on getting scion life circle. And why do life builds bother taking unwavering?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBwQQZhoMJ3Q3vDjIJSRN4DWwWznFfmBiRb56THxQgZ_xKfSmlzSYVIE4q6yynMGegbqonLz8nwzpyux2-Xz9Sr3RB459sRlBH9kitSvxLKk2sR9-_ykq7TfzFjM_mWBjbuc3dX8bYW69KyIngLOlYY4PboW2pbrXyf-NZbYd2FHFW-jH7PfxybFW1ns15aAthNZKI8f6PTeOmVzGevJ-krPIv-OvqGPcycql82ayqZ-KmPlz0

What are your gear thoughts? a BoR build or 6L.
your character with this current set up wont be able to hit the broad side of a barn. You need to get RT.

Also VS has no damage modifiers for the initial hit so its pretty much an Auto Attack that puts a dot on the target.

Last edited by Kartikdon on Apr 7, 2014, 11:16:16 AM
"
GFYD_Wolf_QQ wrote:
I'd drop the DOT node waaaayyyy up in shadow/witch land and get resolute and work on getting scion life circle. And why do life builds bother taking unwavering?

It's actually only 6 "travel points" (plus life nodes and a 30S node) between the DoT nodes and the very useful "Harrier".

That's not "waaaayyyyy up", that's a sound investment if you want to go DoT.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
I'm not sure how you get 6 travel points. I count 14 points after harrier. Getting RT and those duration nodes right about it should allow you to charge em up and kite them to death.
Dropping any DOT or Chaos nodes is a bad idea for chaos damage builds. Also, you do not need things like increased attack speed since your DOTS are what will kill. Drop Blood Magic and run the gem. This will let you run auras for some much welcomed extra defenses (+evasion, +armor auras will make you a beast vs physical damage).

I would run something like this as a base. Obviously you can tweak it as situations arise through your play but this is good start.

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgEAAecOPBQgFSAYkRjbGYYZihqPHNwkPCaVJy8nqSmlKk0s6S1HNug6Uj38PydJE0lRSn1KyE4qUEJQR1KvUzVVS1W1VvpXDVhjWK9abVuvXz9noGf8bBZtbG17bqpyqXK7dEF2gngNfNl_xoPbh3aJ4Iw2jM-RzpMfm7WezZ_LoW2krKcwp1ypbqxHrUq00bVItfK5zbtNu-28n8EEwzrG2MgMykrNJs5x0iHdDd1f45_mWOss7BjvDvIv9kj22vcy-wn8S_zF

you are pretty close to mind drinker if you need mana steal and there is the extra life node there as well as well as the ones north of chaos/dot nodes by point blank. As this version stands you have 212% max hp and a base of 833hp w/o gear (+40 more when you help oak in normal). I just skipped it to keep the points in the same amount that you used.

you may want to get +gem levels in your gear as well for your set ups (this may be hard if you arnt running a 6L 2h as I dont think armor cant get it -- shields can but that limits your links). Since the DoT isn't based on anything you want a shit damage weapon w/ +gem level then a good damage weapon and nothing.

VS
Melee Splash
LGOH
Blood Magic
Multistrike (Not sure if the chaos damage is reduced or not but I believe it wasn't)
Add Chaos (empower may be better here)

Single Target
VS
Empower (This is a huge boost but expensive)
LGOH
Blood Magic
Multistrike (again assuming it doesnt nerf the chaos dot)
added chaos

Totem + Poison Arrow might be great support to add as well

gems arn't in any particular order though VS+LGOH+Melee splash+Multi would be my priority for AOH and VS+LGOH+Empower+Multi for bosses

This is actually my next build I will be running so let me know if you run with it PM me some feedback :)

-------------------------

Last edited by Kartikdon on Apr 8, 2014, 1:18:27 PM
Sound advice all around! Thanks!

Second draft: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBwQQyCf4KtAx4DYMJSRPIDN0NbBZn_OwYkx8VIM0mPydOKussPC2TJ1YtJDy3Pl8_dEHDOmxGrEf2SK1K_EsqTaY-rD9JUcpKu03cV-ZYp1zdXwthWGN5aHJsWW2pbs5xWm2HdkZxSn2sf3aCGYY1kh6UX5hvnuOfZ6AppXKprKrGrluvJ6luqlKvHb78xX_GSsiMz7TRxth82YPbHNyJ4GfiGNss6SftiPG18lz0xPZW-j38

I'm really pleased with capturing the increased debuff duration nodes over by resolute technique.

Stats:
+70 to Intelligence
+160 to Dexterity
+190 to Strength

Keystones:
Resolute Technique: Your hits can't be Evaded
Resolute Technique: Never deal Critical Strikes
Iron Reflexes: Converts all Evasion Rating to Armour. Dexterity provides no bonus to Evasion Rating

Life:
170% increased maximum Life
+16 to maximum Life

Mana:
48% increased maximum Mana
40% increased Mana Regeneration Rate

Resistance:
+3% to Chaos Resistance

Cast Speed:
6% increased Cast Speed

Armour:
40% increased Armour

Evasion:

Attack Speed:

Movement:

Misc:
45% increased Duration of Buffs and Debuffs you create from skills
Last edited by erink on Apr 8, 2014, 3:52:34 PM
Goal:

To create a build using Viper Strike and all the DoT and Chaos damage nodes in the tree just to see if it can be done. To play primarily solo with occasional group play. To be equipped with self-found items. To explore a melee DoT playstyle.

Build Rationale:
Spoiler
Calculated DPS with Viper Strike is generally poor at face value, but strictly calculating attack DPS does not capture the damage potential of a DoT style build. Standard melee combat tactics can be modified to make most effective use of the total duration of Viper Strike's poison charges.

Quickly move from one group of monsters to another allowing poison charge stacks to kill most monsters off screen. Permanent applications of Temporal Chains, capturing increased skill duration nodes, and using the increased duration support gem can all be used to extend the duration of poison charges for maximum DoT potential.

Let DoT do the work. Consider any monster with a full stack of poison charges and a Temporal Chains curse to be a dead monster walking and move on quickly to the next. Smoke Mine should assist mobility and help with damage avoidance, giving poison stacks time to work. Leap Slam with Culling Strike should effectively kill the stragglers left behind if any might survive.

In group play, range ahead of the rest of the group applying poison stacks and Temporal Chains. Let the other players mop up whatever is left behind (slow monsters with rapidly depleating life bars).

Why Temporal Chains?
Spoiler
Temporal Chains increases the duration of debuffs. If the debuff has a DoT, the DoT still does the same damage per second as before.

Increased duration from Temporal Chains, passive skill duration modifiers, and support gems all increase the duration of Viper Strike's poison charges.

Math:
Spoiler
Base skill damage and duration assume level 15 skill and support gems of 0 quality. The calculations assume that Temporal Chains is permanent due to Hex Mastery keystone. Hex mastery is 8 points away from the 90 skill point draft build and Temporal Chains lasts a good long while anyway because of the skill and debuff duration modifiers. Passive modifiers are based on a planned skill tree with 90 passive skill points. It includes Chaos damage, DoT damage, increased skill duration and debuff duration nodes.

DPS

136.4 dps Poison charge base damage
0.89 passive DoT modifier
0.73 passive chaos damage modifier
-0.36 Multistrike modifier

Duration

6.8s Viper Strike poison charge duration

0.45 passive debuff duration modifier
0.45 passive skill duration modifier
0.5 Temporal Chains debuff duration modifier
0.59 support gem duration modifier

Calculating Total Damage Over Time:
Spoiler
Take the DPS multiplied by passive DoT and chaos damage modifiers. Then take the DoT duration and multiply that by the passive skill duration multiplier, the increased duration support gem modifier, and the Temporal Chains slow speed modifier. Multiply the result of the DPS calculation by the result of the DoT duration calculation and the number of poison stacks applied to the monster for Total DoT Damage Potential.

DPS

DPS per poison charge = 136.4 * (1 + 0.89 + 0.73 - 0.36)
= 308.3

duration = 6.8 * (1 + 0.45 + 0.45 + 0.5 + 0.59)
= 20.3s

total = (DPS)(Duration in Seconds)(number of poison charges)
total(charges) = 308.3 * 20.3 * (charges)
total(1) = 6,257
total(2) = 12,516
total(3) = 18,773
total(4) = 25,031

A monster with four poison charges and a permanent temporal chains curse will take 25,031 damage over 20.3 seconds assuming all skill gems are level 15. Effectively a dead monster walking. Leap or smoke mine away from it and it will die without worry. Zip through the map a second time to collect loot and cull any monsters that happen to survive.

Planned Skill Gem Setup:
Spoiler
Main Attack
Viper Strike + Faster Attacks + Increased Duration + Multistrike + Blood Magic + Added Chaos Damage

Mobility
Leap Slam + Culling Strike + Faster Attacks + Added Chaos Damage

Utility/Curse
Smoke Mine + Temporal Chains + Increased Duration + Increased Area of Effect

Mitigation
Molten Shell + Cast When Damage Taken + Increased Duration

Auras
Grace + Reduced Mana
Clarity + Blood Magic + Reduced Mana

Planned Passives:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBwQQyCf4KtAx4DYMJSRPIDN0NbBZn_OwYkx8VIM0mPydOKussPC2TJ1YtJDy3Pl8_dEHDOmxGrEf2SK1K_EsqTaY-rD9JUcpKu03cV-ZYp1zdXwthWGN5aHJsWW2pbs5xWm2HdkZxSn2sf3aCGYY1kh6UX5hvnuOfZ6AppXKprKrGrluvJ6luqlKvHb78xX_GSsiMz7TRxth82YPbHNyJ4GfiGNss6SftiPG18lz0xPZW-j38

Stats:
+70 to Intelligence
+160 to Dexterity
+190 to Strength

Keystones:
Resolute Technique: Your hits can't be Evaded
Resolute Technique: Never deal Critical Strikes

Life:
170% increased maximum Life
+16 to maximum Life

Mana:
48% increased maximum Mana
40% increased Mana Regeneration Rate

Resistance:
+3% to Chaos Resistance

Cast Speed:
6% increased Cast Speed

Armour:
40% increased Armour

Evasion:

Attack Speed:

Movement:

Misc:
45% increased Duration of Buffs and Debuffs you create from skills

Last edit fixed a pretty bad mistake in my calculations.
Last edited by erink on Apr 9, 2014, 2:28:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info