how do i get the right items for my build?

"
"
EomMage wrote:
I could have sworn I answered this.....

did you post this in different forums?

no this is actually my first thread im new here

wtf...dude I know I had a whole long answer in here --- what button did I push??
how do I use this remote??
"
"
rrtson wrote:
It's funny how all of the suggestions in this thread boil down to "save up your currency and buy what you need", or "don't craft; it's a waste of currency".

When the most efficient way to acquire gear upgrades is via trading, there's something terribly wrong with the loot system. 99% of the gear you find will not suit your own character, and "crafting" in this game is so wildly unspecific, it's like throwing coins into a slot machine.

yup kinda notice that how when i play as a witch i always get the gears for ranger and when i play with shadow i get the gear for witch :/

there is not really a specific gear for a specific class, and I would actually use lower crafting orbs on stuff as you go rather than hoard every penny.
I yolo alch stuff all the time, although as a new player you'd be more like yolo transmuting and alt'ing.
"
EomMage wrote:
"
"
EomMage wrote:
I could have sworn I answered this.....

did you post this in different forums?

no this is actually my first thread im new here

wtf...dude I know I had a whole long answer in here --- what button did I push??
how do I use this remote??

in... your...face!!!!!!!!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/873370
I tried playing self found in domination league and found it very tough once I got to merciless because I could never find the items that would balance out the offense + defense + resistances and they are all important later on.

When I first started this game I couldn't understand how anyone got even 1chaos let alone thousands when I wouldn't find any on the ground.

General ideas:

- look for any items with 5+ links
- any item that has 2+ resistances + high health or 3+ resistances of a decent level
- do a little research into what sells including what uniques to keep
- try not to craft before you amass any wealth as its a waste of orbs (except for linking and coloring 1-4 sockets)
- popular gems or ones with a high quality
- level up gems in your off hands (make sure you put a weapon or shield weapon with as many sockets as possible in off hand) to level in demand gems to sell later even if you dont use them
- use the chaos recipe > level 60 items
- farm with someone who has a high iir / iiq or if you have any items to boost your iir / iiq you can use those in farming zones

The only real way to perfect a build is to use trading so you can get exactly what you need to fill in gaps. If you go by what drops you will typically hit a wall where either your dps is too low, resistances too low or health is too low to beat bosses.
You dont farm exalted orbs, you farm less valuable orbs and items and trade them for exalteds. Actual exalted orbs drops are extremely rare. Often you can sell an item, chaos here, 5 chaos there, it all adds up. Save as much as you can, and dont spend on anything you dont need. Use vendor recipes. You just need time.

Most items dont really cost 10ex, you can put together some very decent builds for less than that. Remember not to follow builds that are expensive- if you see a build that you like and it says you must have a Shavronnes Wrappings for it, feel free to close that browser tab immediately and look elsewhere. Start with some cheaper build and then you work towards improving it and getting it to the level you want, slowly but surely.
Exalted orb drop is really rare. Don't count that you will drop it unless you are extremely lucky or play 24/7. I suggest to find a cheap build and get it to level 80 or so. When you will be able to run maps efficiently, the drops worth multiple Chaos or exalted will start happening. Also always check items well, sometimes you might think item is worth nothing and it turns out it is worth a lot. I also use alchemy orbs on rings over level 68. It is not that rare to craft rings worth exalted orb or more this way. After you manage to hoard soem currency, you can go ahead and try some more expensive build with new character or just respec old one.
From personal experience, you get to around 3 exalts worth of combined currency with Lvl 70 (Piety Merciless, early maps), if you don't waste that stuff and trade for as little gear upgrades as possible.
People always complain, but you actually find a lot of orbs, and that adds up slowly. Trade lower currency in trade chat for Chaos (they will cheat you, but who cares?), and NEVER touch those chaos.

Plus you'll have a ton of (quality) gems and items with 1-20 chaos "value" in your stash, that noone will buy from you. For now.
Once you enter the ladder and appear as "online" on poe.xyz.is, people start buying from you, and you have ~5 exalts in chaos/fusing.

This is what you can expect to spend on your Lvl 80 gear. 5 exalts combined. With a huge RNG variance, of course.

If you want "real" endgame gear, you have to farm 24/7 for Alts and Chaos Recipe and slowly build up wealth.
Or stumble over an extremly lucky drop (Mon'tregul's, Bringer of Rain, Soultaker, 6Links) and sell that stuff.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
This is a good game OP but its tough for new players to get currency for what they want. Right now here is what people do.

A) Grind a ton with a magic find build and trade smaller currencies for larger ones, a common one is to trade 40 fusings for 1ex. This one is good since you can convert all of your alterations and jewelers into fusings. Also good since you don't need many fusings in this game because using them is usually a bad idea.

B) You flip items like your back play D3 AH. Buy low and sell high like your life depends on it. This usually requires spamming trade chat like crazy and/or bumping forum threads all day.

C) Resort to nefarious legal or not legal means to acquire orbs. One example of legal is multiboxing. I generally think anyone doing this stuff needs to get a life.
Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:

A) Grind a ton with a magic find build and trade smaller currencies for larger ones, a common one is to trade 40 fusings for 1ex. This one is good since you can convert all of your alterations and jewelers into fusings.

"This one is good" because you would usually have to pay 20-40 fusings more to get an exalted orb. ;)

Only a very desperate or stupid person would sell an ex for 40 fusing. You can consider yourself lucky if you get 15 Chaos for those, and that's only half an exalt.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Apr 3, 2014, 5:40:28 AM
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
iamstryker wrote:

A) Grind a ton with a magic find build and trade smaller currencies for larger ones, a common one is to trade 40 fusings for 1ex. This one is good since you can convert all of your alterations and jewelers into fusings.

"This one is good" because you would usually have to pay 20-40 fusings more to get an exalted orb. ;)

Only a very desperate or stupid person would sell an ex for 40 fusing. You can consider yourself lucky if you get 15 Chaos for those, and that's only half an exalt.

My exmple comes from standard (anyone who looks at my profile can plainly see that I play standard). This ratio is a common practice in standard.

Edit: The OP also plays in standard so I was right to post from my perspective.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Apr 3, 2014, 5:42:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info