Ball Lightning and Beyond, Solution vs Progress.

Intro

By now, one of the solutions that came across, on this overpowered type skils, was to limit the uses by adding a cooldown over one charge (like the 1 we see in Flicker Strike).
The first barrier regarding this solution on balancing Ball Lightning, is that, either we would need to use power charges (for cooldown bypass), this means, for a Non-Critical build, a waste of room n' space, as with critical users, would act as an unfair advantage over the rest classic Caster crew; or that the cooldown couldn't ever be bypassed, making it numb n' dull.

Playthrough

At the same time we seek for a better after best Skill, we also strive for the challenge that lies on its own gameplay. We do not want -in fact- a Skill that kills all n' every1 in 1 rapid distraught shot, where's the fun in that?
With all this in mind, i was hoping for an update on the Elemental Reflection Ability, firstly as an Implicit Propperty of Ball Lightning, and later on -if possible- in Explicit Propperties of both items and passive tree.
These are skills so powerfull that even the Caster suffers from it, the concentrated energy is too much for a Mortal Exile to endure
So, instead of beeing the skill that limits the use, let the players take responsability, if we abuse without any sort of Ele Reflection Protection, we just die, and if we can really build something that can freely use Ball Lightning, it won't deal in fact that much DPS; in the end of the day, it was the Player that built it, like it happens nowadays, u just provided the Gem, the link, and the passive tree.

Progress

Fire, Cold Element and Physical Damage can't be forgotten.
Cold: something around a Blizzard effect (there r unique mobs with a similar skill effect already);
Fire: some Vulcano Magma type (with a lower % effectivness vs dmg % 'cause of Artic Armour);
Physical: bring back Wind, and make the use of Tornado or Hurricane's effects for such Self-Reflect skills.

It's meant to be an Open for Discussion Thread. Speak your mind.
Back to The Melee (Reaving Insight): view-thread/1240462
Fusion Skill Engineering: view-thread/1095291
Last edited by jahcinto on Apr 1, 2014, 11:37:11 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Pratical Example

Here's how a passive tree would -in theory- look like:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABCGcRlhHbFdcW8xcvHNwdFB2qIcMmPCj6LKYsvy9vL50y0TN2NAo3ZjeDOBs74TyOQ2NFR0ZxRtdHBk99UWBV1lZjV8lX4VgbWPVcil3GX2pgbWTnZp5tGXB9cLtxTX_GgFaApILHgwmGrot6j0aP-pDWkc-SOJMnms-dxKKjpuunCKcrr42ydbQMtQS3MbiTwcXB88Nt1YHXhtkT2-fd8-GI4vfkEelz6rrr7uwY-WX56PrS

Notes: no damage modifiers, just a base cast speed; Avatar of Fire so it would cap the damage on 50% for cold/lightning/physical, or even allow the Artic Armour use against the Self-Reflect; tons of energy shield with leech as a must, as also when life based.

Liberation

The end to slave builds, we pick the element we want just by changing the gem.
Last edited by jahcinto on Mar 30, 2014, 8:49:22 AM
Interesting.
Update 0.1a
up
up
give
dont
I would like to see the inclusion of more channeled skills. However, we all know the necessity of mobility for survivability. So I would love to see the inclusion of a passive effect that provides added damage mitigation when channeling to offset the mobility loss somewhat. This could perhaps be a keystone accessible to the INT classess.

This could allow them to turn ball lightning and frost nova in to channeled abilities with significant damage, like flameblast, but keep them viable if the player was spec'd appropriately -- or had certain uniques which provided protection while channeling.
Last edited by RedsManRick on Apr 1, 2014, 2:40:40 PM
"
RedsManRick wrote:
I would like to see the inclusion of more channeled skills. However, we all know the necessity of mobility for survivability. So I would love to see the inclusion of a passive effect that provides added damage mitigation when channeling to offset the mobility loss somewhat. This could perhaps be a keystone accessible to the INT classess.

This could allow them to turn ball lightning and frost nova in to channeled abilities with significant damage, like flameblast, but keep them viable if the player was spec'd appropriately -- or had certain uniques which provided protection while channeling.

That's an idea, like the buffs on throwing traps/mines and respective passives.

Ty for ur thought.

I think it'd be interesting to have a Support Gem "Recoil", that greatly increases damage but you also take X% of the damage you deal with that skill.

But as for making that baseline for Ball Lightning, I think it makes no sense.

I don't know why people think Ball Lightning would/should be inherently "OP".
If the damage, area and projectile speed are properly balanced, why would it be OP?
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Apr 2, 2014, 9:11:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info