The Three Dragons unique

For each element, imagine you have 0% chance to proc it's ailment outside crits. Now add it's chance to new ailment. So for example I have:

20% Chance to Ignite, Shock and Freeze. The ignite is ignored for fire skills, they only use Chance to Shock now, lightning ignores shock but now uses freeze, cold ignores freeze and now uses ignite. Outside of that, if it would ignite/shock/freeze it shocks/freezes/ignites instead.

It doesn't appear the ele curses work with Three Dragons as they give "Chance to ignite with Fire Damage", which I would guess does not carry to cold.

@gladmark: Searing Bond isn't affected at all, it burns rather than ignites, so it will remain Fire Damage Over Time regardless.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
Hmmm. Ok,

I get that for me being fire it will instead Shock instead of Ignite. So, how would this affect my particular build being heavy on Crit and Fire?

Does the Chance to Ignite gem turn into basically Chance to Shock then?

I read that "Ignite is associated with Fire causing the target to "burn" --Wiki. And when I clicked on the hyperlink Burn, it took me to Burning Damage, not Fire Damage.. Logically, If Igniting is eliminated/Changed you will not get burning damage. Its simply replaced with Shock yes?

Speaking of Shock, Below is what I read on the Wiki:

"a single target can have up to three shock effects simultaneously. Each shock level causes the affected target to take 30% more damage, up to a total of 90%. Shock is typically inflicted by critical strikes of lightning damage"

So if I understand it right it's simply a damage multiplier. Normally, it would increase Lightning damage...but in the case of this helmet....it should multiply my fire damage instead yes?

Then, if you have high a high Crit build you should Shock quite a bit then yes? AND... this is the kicker....If the Chance to Ignite Gem is "converted" to essentially chance to Shock.....then it takes it even further....

P.S. Im not sure how Shock Duration fits into this

P.P.S. As far as Searing Bond, Now Im a bit confused. The Wiki says this is "Over time" fire Damage which they say is Burning Damage. I know it doesn't effect what we are talk about here now but still. I guess the Increased Burning Damage Gem only works with Fireball and Firestorm? Confused.

I appreciate the time for anyone who replies. Im not that smart with stats and all that so keep it simple for the simpletons..:)

Last edited by gladmark on Apr 7, 2014, 5:28:59 PM
The Three Dragons does exactly what it says and nothing more. It does not mention changing Chance to Ignite, and as such it is still Chance to Ignite. If you want to Shock with Fire Damage, you either want Crits or Chance to Shock.

Shock always increases all Damage Taken, regardless of type.
Shock Duration is still Shock Duration, and fulfills the same function.
(If Shock did only affect Lightning Damage, again the Three Dragons would not change that. )

Burning Damage = Fire Damage per Second / Fire Damage over Time. They're all the same. Searing Bond benefits from the Inc. Burning Damage Support and related passives/item modifiers.
Damage over Time does not trigger on-Hit effects, and it does not Crit. You cannot inflict Status Ailments with Searing Bond.

Ignite is a Status Ailment that inflicts Burning Damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Apr 7, 2014, 6:08:00 PM
i really want to try this item with my ele wander...as the dmg is mostly fire+lightning i would get freezes instead of ignites...and shocked would stay the same
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The Three Dragons does exactly what it says and nothing more. It does not mention changing Chance to Ignite, and as such it is still Chance to Ignite. If you want to Shock with Fire Damage, you either want Crits or Chance to Shock.

(If Shock did only affect Lightning Damage, again the Three Dragons would not change that. )

Burning Damage = Fire Damage per Second / Fire Damage over Time. They're all the same. Searing Bond benefits from the Inc. Burning Damage Support and related passives/item modifiers.
Damage over Time does not trigger on-Hit effects, and it does not Crit. You cannot inflict Status Ailments with Searing Bond.

If it does exactly what it says.....CAN Shock, then it is possible to still Ignite then? CAN is not the same as WILL Shock. Is this a total elimination of Ignite or no?

Since there is no % on Chance to Shock or Shock Duration on the helmet then it must be random...but the thing is why is there no %? On the Static Blow Passive Skill Cluster there are % gains. The helmet is a mystery. Maybe Im not getting how shock works or something.

Taking what you are saying...then if I got the Static Blow passive skills cluster it would do the same thing for me as the helmet....Except I keep Chance to Ignite and they work together?

And my Build is Heavy Crit. You are saying that If I have heavy Crit then then I don't need the Passive or this helmet to get Shock?? You said Heavy Crit OR Chance to Shock if I want to shock with Fire damage.
Last edited by gladmark on Apr 7, 2014, 6:47:09 PM
"
gladmark wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:

If it does exactly what it says.....CAN Shock, then it is possible to still Ignite then? CAN is not the same as WILL Shock. Is this a total elimination of Ignite or no?

Since there is no % on Chance to Shock or Shock Duration on the helmet then it must be random...but the thing is why is there no %? On the Static Blow Passive Skill Cluster there are % gains. The helmet is a mystery. Maybe Im not getting how shock works or something.

Taking what you are saying...then if I got the Static Blow passive skills cluster it would do the same thing for me as the helmet....Except I keep Chance to Ignite and they work together?

What? Your post makes zero sense.
The unique clearly says, that your fire damage will not be able to ignite stuff.

Static blows is a static chance to shock enemies on hit with electrical damage. 20% to shock means every 5 hits, one of them will shock, the duration of the shock is determined by the magnitude of the hit vs the mobs health. Without static blows only crits will trigger shock (or other static "chance to shock" bonuses). For simplicitys sake, lets say that every shock will apply, no matter how little damage you did per hit vs. the mobs health, but if the damage was very low, compared to the mobs health, the shock duration will not last till your next hit, basically rendering shock useless for you. Shock duration, will lower this treshhold, with 100% duration, your shocks will be applied as if you hit twice as hard.

Now, with this helmet, lets say, for discussions sake, you want your fireballs to shock stuff. Chance to ignite on our fireball, will do nothing anymore, because, your fire damage wont ignite anything. Static blows however (the passive) will apply to your fireball. With 20% chance to shock per hit, every 5th fireball will shock something. Your fireball crits wont ignite, they will now shock. Chance to ignite on your fireball, will do absolutely zilch, however. (remember? your fire damage cant ignite stuff)
"
gladmark wrote:
Since there is no % on Chance to Shock or Shock Duration on the helmet then it must be random...

No, it means the Three Dragons does not grant Chance to Shock.
Your Fire Damage can Shock. That does not mean it happens. Just like you said, 'can' is not the same as 'will'.

"
gladmark wrote:

Without the helm, your Fire Damage cannot Shock.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
gladmark wrote:
Since there is no % on Chance to Shock or Shock Duration on the helmet then it must be random...

No, it means the Three Dragons does not grant Chance to Shock.
Your Fire Damage can Shock. That does not mean it happens. Just like you said, 'can' is not the same as 'will'.

"
gladmark wrote:

Without the helm, your Fire Damage cannot Shock.

Ok....So no helm, No shock...even if I get the Static Blow Cluster? Because Its a Lightning based effect and Im Fire based?

If I have the Helm I can Shock AS WELL AS INCREASE Shock effectiveness if I get the Staic Blow Cluster along with it?

But in the end I lose Ignite in any form if Im wearing this helm...for "a chance"...with or without the Static Blow Cluster?

I hope I got this right. I appreciate the time you are taking
Last edited by gladmark on Apr 7, 2014, 7:34:09 PM
Hey Viper....Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I know theres a lot of ungrateful takers out there. I remember the blue Vipermagi armor from Diablo...The casters armor. Anyway..Thanks alot
"
gladmark wrote:
Ok....So no helm, No shock...even if I get the Static Blow Cluster? Because Its a Lightning based effect and Im Fire based?

Yes. A more accurate node description would be: X% chance to shock, when dealing damage which can shock. Normally the only damage which can shock would be lightning damage. In the case of this helm, that is replaced by fire damage. With Voltaxic for example, it's chaos etc.

Without the cluster the chance to shock would be more or less inexistent. Other sources of shock chance are Arc (lightning damage which does not apply with this helm) and Conductivity which also only works with lightning damage if I'm not mistaken. I don't know of other sources for shock chance... please chime in if you do.

PS: a friend is trying out a (mainly) Firestorm / Incinerate build with this and from what I have seen it works really well around lvl60 with just Static blows (no crits). I imagine that if you add ele prolif to the AoE skill you would get 3 shock stacks up pretty fast (with just one Firestorm for example)

If you are heavy crit (let's say 40% chance or upwards) Static blows somewhat loses it's appeal. From the remaining 60% of non-crits, only 20% would shock which brings your total shock chance to 40% + 12% = 52%, not much of an improvement. It depends on your build and if you have the points to spare - if it's worth it to spend X points for that ~12% extra shock chance.
Last edited by JohnWeps on Apr 8, 2014, 1:53:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info