[3.4] Say_Ten's Double Strike/Spectral Throw Melee Scion - Cheap and Easy to Play

Hi!
First, thanks for the build and insight. I resumed playing POE after a hiatus and needed a quick build so I could level with my friend and not waste passive points aimlessly. The build has worked out for me on a budget (both time and currency).

I explain where I'm at In this separate thread.

I'm basically moving on to T12+ maps and need some advice.

Do folks here mind giving me some input on how I can improve (either in this thread or mine)? Thanks!
IGN: JooksOne
Timezone: PST(USA)
Last edited by Jooksone on Feb 15, 2017, 4:44:15 PM
"
Jooksone wrote:
Hi!
First, thanks for the build and insight. I resumed playing POE after a hiatus and needed a quick build so I could level with my friend and not waste passive points aimlessly. The build has worked out for me on a budget (both time and currency).

I explain where I'm at In this separate thread.

I'm basically moving on to T12+ maps and need some advice.

Do folks here mind giving me some input on how I can improve (either in this thread or mine)? Thanks!

You are welcome!

Get a different helm, possibly a rare one with 90+ life on it. Belt could be a lot better too.

You could also change your 2 life flasks to a single divine with instant recovery and anti-freeze (or perhaps something that gets you a lot of life relatively quickly with anti-freeze) and a Taste of Hate. Or you could swap in a Rumi's or even a Sulphur. Silver is a waste. Just make sure you have anti-bleed on one flask period, and ideally something that isn't instant (so the anti-bleed lasts longer). Anti-freeze I find that I just use out of convenience for strongboxes.

As far as open gem slots, you can also use Ancestral Warchief for the aggro and damage. Can also use Vaal Double Strike or Vaal Grace.

Also, I started manually casted blood rage since they (somewhat) recently reduced the cast time significantly and if you are killing things constantly, it's always up. Leveling it to max will get you a lot more damage.

What else do you want to know?
"
Say_Ten wrote:

Get a different helm, possibly a rare one with 90+ life on it. Belt could be a lot better too.

I've been throwing this idea around for a while. I guess if i switch to a 20/20 Blood Rage I will get the attack speed back from losing the helm, but I'll miss the MS. MS is more of a quality of life thing and not so much game play effectiveness. I can live without it for 90+ more life and more resists. I'll want to find one that has high armor/ER so I don't lose out there. Good suggestion.

I liked my belt =(

J/K - what improvements do you recommend? More resists?

"
Say_Ten wrote:

You could also change your 2 life flasks to a single divine with instant recovery and anti-freeze (or perhaps something that gets you a lot of life relatively quickly with anti-freeze) and a Taste of Hate. Or you could swap in a Rumi's or even a Sulphur. Silver is a waste. Just make sure you have anti-bleed on one flask period, and ideally something that isn't instant (so the anti-bleed lasts longer). Anti-freeze I find that I just use out of convenience for strongboxes.

I'm noob when it comes to all the different unique flasks. For Taste of Hate, I assume you must have an anti freeze/chill mechanism to not get screwed? Also, is it better to take 20% cold dmg instead of phys? Personally, it feels like elemental dmg is more dangerous for me than phys (with phys reduction + Endurance Charges).

Rumi's seems straight forward.

Sulpher seems good for the DPS and life regen to boot. Good to know.

"
Say_Ten wrote:

As far as open gem slots, you can also use Ancestral Warchief for the aggro and damage. Can also use Vaal Double Strike or Vaal Grace.

I think I will try dropping decoy totem and trying ancestral warchief and maybe with Blind Support.

I had tried Vaal Double Strike while leveling but dropped it for other skills. Is it worth it by itself (unsupported?)

Vaal Grace is something I've also considered and may try after I shuffle out gems.

"
Say_Ten wrote:

Also, I started manually casted blood rage since they (somewhat) recently reduced the cast time significantly and if you are killing things constantly, it's always up. Leveling it to max will get you a lot more damage.

Very good to know. I will definitely do this. I just now realized it refreshes the duration (since it's on CoDT, I didn't think about it). Also it's good to not activate on Lab/Trial traps. I've been removing it for those. Annoying.

"
Say_Ten wrote:

Any suggestions for my CoDT links when I remove blood rage? Also, I removed CI since I felt the brief (often 0.4 brief) phys immunity was not as good as the benefit from constant endurance charges. I'm assuming CI is effective (ideal) with Daresso's Defiance, which I'm not using.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Jooksone on Feb 16, 2017, 3:10:01 PM
"
Jooksone wrote:
Spoiler
"
Say_Ten wrote:

I've been throwing this idea around for a while. I guess if i switch to a 20/20 Blood Rage I will get the attack speed back from losing the helm, but I'll miss the MS. MS is more of a quality of life thing and not so much game play effectiveness. I can live without it for 90+ more life and more resists. I'll want to find one that has high armor/ER so I don't lose out there. Good suggestion.

I liked my belt =(

J/K - what improvements do you recommend? More resists?

"
Say_Ten wrote:

I'm noob when it comes to all the different unique flasks. For Taste of Hate, I assume you must have an anti freeze/chill mechanism to not get screwed? Also, is it better to take 20% cold dmg instead of phys? Personally, it feels like elemental dmg is more dangerous for me than phys (with phys reduction + Endurance Charges).

Rumi's seems straight forward.

Sulpher seems good for the DPS and life regen to boot. Good to know.

"
Say_Ten wrote:

I think I will try dropping decoy totem and trying ancestral warchief and maybe with Blind Support.

I had tried Vaal Double Strike while leveling but dropped it for other skills. Is it worth it by itself (unsupported?)

Vaal Grace is something I've also considered and may try after I shuffle out gems.

"
Say_Ten wrote:

Very good to know. I will definitely do this. I just now realized it refreshes the duration (since it's on CoDT, I didn't think about it). Also it's good to not activate on Lab/Trial traps. I've been removing it for those. Annoying.

"
Say_Ten wrote:

Any suggestions for my CoDT links when I remove blood rage? Also, I removed CI since I felt the brief (often 0.4 brief) phys immunity was not as good as the benefit from constant endurance charges. I'm assuming CI is effective (ideal) with Daresso's Defiance, which I'm not using.

Thanks again for your help.

To each his or her own. Sucks they nerfed the range of Leap Slam but with a fast-attacking weapon, that's the fastest way to move around.

Belt could have more resists AND more life. The rustic sashes are a little overrated with the phys damage increase. Most people go for life because you can never have enough (which is also weird that you're saying you wouldn't miss 90 life on the helm). The life on items is a base number, so what you actually get from that item is a much larger number. Try it out...

ToH is a HUGE DPS boost. It is basically a flask version of Hatred. Then again, if you are using Starforge and can't do elemental damage, it's useless. With starforge, I would confirm that Atziri's Promise gives you the damage boost it should (which it should because chaos damage isn't elemental damage) and use that. Then I would go with Rumi's, a solid Jade with armor, a basalt, and you could do two life flasks or a life flask and a double run speed quicksilver flask to make up for getting rid of Devoto's. I would personally have both a quicksilver and sulphur to use in certain situations...like swap one for the other.

Vaal DS does a ton of damage. So I guess it's worth it but I would rather run Vaal Grace. Keep in mind that if you are totally overcapped on resists, you could change one ring to an unset ring for an extra skill gem slot.

as far as CwDT, I use IC because it protects you from getting quickly two-shot in a lot of situations, like multiple porcupines dying at once...especially in higher maps. you can use arctic armor but that will reserve mana.

Good point about blood rage and the lab. Same goes for running maps with less or no regen. Blood rage will slowly kill you/be annoying when you're not hitting things to leech back.
"
Say_Ten wrote:

Spoiler
To each his or her own. Sucks they nerfed the range of Leap Slam but with a fast-attacking weapon, that's the fastest way to move around.

Belt could have more resists AND more life. The rustic sashes are a little overrated with the phys damage increase. Most people go for life because you can never have enough (which is also weird that you're saying you wouldn't miss 90 life on the helm). The life on items is a base number, so what you actually get from that item is a much larger number. Try it out...

ToH is a HUGE DPS boost. It is basically a flask version of Hatred. Then again, if you are using Starforge and can't do elemental damage, it's useless. With starforge, I would confirm that Atziri's Promise gives you the damage boost it should (which it should because chaos damage isn't elemental damage) and use that. Then I would go with Rumi's, a solid Jade with armor, a basalt, and you could do two life flasks or a life flask and a double run speed quicksilver flask to make up for getting rid of Devoto's. I would personally have both a quicksilver and sulphur to use in certain situations...like swap one for the other.

Vaal DS does a ton of damage. So I guess it's worth it but I would rather run Vaal Grace. Keep in mind that if you are totally overcapped on resists, you could change one ring to an unset ring for an extra skill gem slot.

as far as CwDT, I use IC because it protects you from getting quickly two-shot in a lot of situations, like multiple porcupines dying at once...especially in higher maps. you can use arctic armor but that will reserve mana.

Good point about blood rage and the lab. Same goes for running maps with less or no regen. Blood rage will slowly kill you/be annoying when you're not hitting things to leech back.

No, I was saying I would miss the movement speed on on the Devoto's but could live without it. I shopped around and upgrade to the following. Just need to find a little dxt and top off fire resist. The ol' gear stat/resist shuffle. Then figure out what gems/skills I want to go with and where to slot them.

Int on helm means I can remove the INT crafts on amulet and ring. Was thinking STR for the life and dps %.

Also had this drop last night:

Last edited by Jooksone on Feb 18, 2017, 10:27:17 PM
There ya go!
Can I use starforge with this build?
"
ChaseHiatt wrote:
Can I use starforge with this build?

yeah, browse through the last 1-3 pages or so, there are a couple of people running starforge

let me know if you have questions after that
Is this build really viable for 2.6?
"
Azrilkai wrote:
Is this build really viable for 2.6?

That's my question. I like the idea but I really think we'd have to wait for 3.0 for anything other than the usual to be viable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info