Why Do People say Storm Cloud Long Bow is garbage?

Making a build out of an unplanned 6link on a random bow?

Not that uncommon it seems.
what makes this bow work with this skill? i think that you could have used white 6l and achieve exact same result..
I have CI on that character, so it takes advantage of the chaos dmg conversion. The bow has pretty miserable phys damage, so it would never be good at directly damaging mobs, therefore EA makes sense. I realize the bow itself is rather mediocre, I just wanted to see if it was possible to make a build focused around it.
"
Aggropop wrote:
Making a build out of an unplanned 6link on a random bow?

Not that uncommon it seems.

I have CI on that character, so it takes advantage of the chaos dmg conversion. The bow has pretty miserable phys damage, so it would never be good at directly damaging mobs, therefore EA makes sense. I realize the bow itself is rather mediocre, I just wanted to see if it was possible to make a build focused around it.

No, that totally makes sense. My armor and gem combo is based around my 6L Windripper having fire leech. I think this would work for your setup too. :)

The thing is with enough +Physical gear and DoT passives, there are ways to make Darkscorn more epic than traditionally more powerful items.

The reason Storm Cloud is only good for leveling is because at some point, no matter what spec you use, swapping in a blue bow with attack speed and elemental damage would be outright better.

No one is flaming the OP for having fun and making a viable build around an accidental 6-link, but if he had spent as many orbs as it usually takes most people, we would have plenty of reason to question his sanity.
"
sidtherat wrote:
dear OP:

you could have achieved THE SAME result with low lvl bow that happened to roll 1,79 attack speed. this and only this property of your bow matters

damage ALL comes from auras and your elemental build

your bow could do LITERALLY zero damage and your dps would go down by less than 1%

that means that your bow IS garbage, but DESPITE it you managed to create viable elemental build.

congratulations

btw:

Short Bow of Renown (14-16%attack speed bonus, ilvl30 suffix) == Storm Cloud when it comes to attack speed

Arcing or Shocking suffix takes care of damage part.
done, entire Storm Cloud in two affixes

it is just - like with all elemental builds - fast base weapon that counts.

pretty sure bows can only roll 13% attack speed? Plus I didn't have another 6 Link Bow when I accidently 6 Linked this bow. And I've stated that a good 6L Elemental Thicket Bow would be better already. But that doesn't make this Bow Garbage. My 6 Link Thicket Bow doesn't have attack speed yet (hopefully soon)

and a white 6L bow would be 2k less dps, as I tried it with

before I started crafting it.
Last edited by nekroSTD on Apr 14, 2014, 12:38:02 AM
I was actually thinking about a build with storm cloud myself :o

I don't really mind if there's a better alternative as long as im having a blast with it.

Made a max block build with Veil of the Night and it wasn't as terrible as everyone made it out to be so who knows.

Any tips on Storm cloud build?
"
"

Uhhh, yeah, you are not right on this one at all.

EDIT: removed insults after I read your list of character names. I can see you are still a child and it isn't right to insult children.

Someday you will find out math is not your enemy :)

Nope, still right on this one.

You don't know how to have fun unless someone tells you how to.

Stormcloud is a great bow. It shoots arrows made of lightning.

Go back to your nerd dungeon and crunch some more numbers, nerd.

Bring me your findings on why Stormcloud sucks and why you hate the OP because he's enjoying himself and finding some success using it and has skepticism on why people dislike it.

Stick-in-the-mud-la-la-la-na-na-na-no-fun-nerd.

ROFL a dude playing poe and keeping tabs on a fucking forum thread calling other people nerds. Fuck outta your moms basement and get some pussy you nerd
"
MaptSoul wrote:
"
"

Uhhh, yeah, you are not right on this one at all.

EDIT: removed insults after I read your list of character names. I can see you are still a child and it isn't right to insult children.

Someday you will find out math is not your enemy :)

Nope, still right on this one.

You don't know how to have fun unless someone tells you how to.

Stormcloud is a great bow. It shoots arrows made of lightning.

Go back to your nerd dungeon and crunch some more numbers, nerd.

Bring me your findings on why Stormcloud sucks and why you hate the OP because he's enjoying himself and finding some success using it and has skepticism on why people dislike it.

Stick-in-the-mud-la-la-la-na-na-na-no-fun-nerd.

ROFL a dude playing poe and keeping tabs on a fucking forum thread calling other people nerds. Fuck outta your moms basement and get some pussy you nerd

Don't bother with him, anyone who looks down on people for liking mathematics doesn't value or possess intelligence. If you want a pretty good understanding of his age and mentality check out the names of all his characters...lol
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Last edited by Fluffy_Puppies on Jul 16, 2014, 3:51:47 PM
I got it 6-Linked, with shadow pure element COC build and it's doing excellent with EE.

It's just depend on how and what are you going to put it in good use.

For me, personally i use Ice Shot, COC, GMP, Arctic Breath, Fire ball and Chain to clean up mobs pack. For single target, just Barrage, life leech and add fire/weapon ele/add cold etc can doing good for boss kill.

Here's the thing about Storm Cloud.

1) It has a *level 10* requirement. It is, by far, the best twink bow at level 10.

2) You can scale elemental damage with "projectile damage" and "elemental damage" nodes, which are pretty common on the left side of the tree. You can also scale the damage with WED jewelery, which is less common but not unobtainable.

3) Getting flat elemental damage is trivial. Added Lightning Damage, Static Electricity, and Herald of Thunder are all cheap and effective at increasing base damage, and compared to these the base ele damage on rare bows is too difficult to really be worthwhile.

That said, all this kinda doesn't matter. Next patch we get Roth's Reach and both Storm Clouds *and* Rare Ele Thickets become completely obsolete again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info