Viper Strike + Melee Splash DoT

Short introduction.
I'm new to the game with 110h of game time and just got the sudden urge to create an own build.
It's far from being finished since I just thought of the genral idea, which nodes do I take how the playstyle is going to be etc.

As main skill I'd use Viper Strike + Melee Splash + Increased Duration, so the chaos damage DoT from Viper Strike applies to several targets. Basically I'd just jump in to the middle of a pack, with Phase run for example, apply the DoT, draw back and apply it again if necessary. Also I'd either use Vulnerability or Temporal Chains to support the skill.
To strengthen my survivability while being in the middle of a pack I'd also use Enduring Cry, Auras(Purity of Elements, Vitality, Grace+Iron Reflexes)

In case of the skill tree I'd go for Iron Reflexes on the way to it life and resistences and split my path from there to reach "Growth and Decay" and "Corruption", since Viper Strike can be support by those nodes in DoT matter.
I'd also go for Hexmaster(Not sure if needed) grab again life, resistances and nodes which support auras(less reserved etc.)
In the end I'd also go for increased duration nodes, but I didn't take those in thought yet.

For the equipment I would go for a claw(the life gain on hit seems beneficial for survivability) and a evasion/armour shield. The rest of the gear should be either armour or evasion or both and have effects which increase the effect of viper strike or/and increase my chance not to die easily.
Didn't thought about any Uniques, I'm sure there are good ones for this case,but it's still on my list.

I created this thread so you could give me advices, tipps and suggestions, how to expand/improve my build and to tell my how viable it could be.

kindest regards.
Skill tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAP0R2xSwFSAWbxcvF1AY2xmFGYYZiho4GmwajxzcHRQdviOjJDwkqiepKPoppSpNLOk26TgbOVI6MD8nRnFJE0lRSn1KyEwtTLFOKk5tUq9TNVXGVdZW-lgHWW1Z81ptWz1br1z0X5hk52aeZ6Bn4mf8bBZvnnRBdoJ_xoCkgh6Cx4LkgwmD24d2ieCKr49GkBGQVZMfkyeboZu1oqOmPqcIp1ynhKxHrJisqq1KtAy00biTu028N768wBrB88M6yAzKSsuYzSbOcc9l0NDVLN0N3V_jauZY6yzr7uwY8Xbz3fba99f60vsJ_Ev8xQ==

Bandits: Kraityn - Alira - Kill all

Gems

Chest: (Main Skill)
4L: Viper Strike – Melee Splash – Increased Duration - Increased Area of Effect -
5L: Viper Strike – Melee Splash – Increased Duration - Increased Area of Effect – Multistrike
6L: Viper Strike – Melee Splash – Increased Duration - Increased Area of Effect – Multistrike – Life Gain on Hit

Helmet: (Auras)
4L: Grace – Purity of Elements – Vitality – Reduced Mana

Claw (Supportive Skill)
3L: Phase Run – Increased Duration – Reduced Mana

Gloves (Supportive Skill)
4L: Enduring Cry – Increased Duration – Reduced Mana – Cast on damage taken

Shoes:
4L: Temporal Chains – Vulnerbility – Faster Casting – Increased Area of Effect

Shield:
Where would you take Phase run from? It was removed from the game about 1 year ago and has not been added again since.
Instead I'd suggest using a combination of Flicker Strike and Smoke Mine:
Lay down a Smoke Mine, flicker into the pack and apply 4 Viper charges, then detonate the Smoke Mine to get yourself back to safety. (Should work as well to increase survivability as long as you don't take Unwavering Stance)

Wouldn't utilizing Multistrike decrease your DoT by quite a significant amount? I'd recommend Faster Attacks instead.

As a more defensive alternative to Vulnerability (or as a second option for tougher enemies) you could use Temporal Chains, which also increases the duration of the Viper charges.

Why would you choose to help Alira on Cruel? 4% cast speed doesn't seem to complement your build.

Think about a way to deal with rare and unique mobs. Maybe a Viper Strike supported with Inc. Duration and Empower socketed into a +level weapon?

I can't access your skill tree - you might want to enclose the link by "[ url ] [/ url ]" tags (without the blanks in the brackets of course).
Crit happens.
Last edited by Inarion1986 on Mar 15, 2014, 8:45:57 AM
You're going to have a hard time using Phase Run these days. :P
Also, CwDT is free already.
"
Where would you take Phase run from? It was removed from the game about 1 year ago and has not been added again since.

Thanks, didn't know that. Flickr Strike would have been my second choice.

"
Lay down a Smoke Mine, flicker into the pack and apply 4 Viper charges, then detonate the Smoke Mine to get yourself back to safety. (Should work as well to increase survivability as long as you don't take Unwavering Stance)

Sounds like a cool idea.

"
Wouldn't utilizing Multistrike decrease your DoT by quite a significant amount? I'd recommend Faster Attacks instead.

Not sure about that, but I thought that I'd be able to play the Viper stacks faster through mulistrike. But Faster attacks seems also good for that purpose. Will need to try it out.

"
As a more defensive alternative to Vulnerability (or as a second option for tougher enemies) you could use Temporal Chains, which also increases the duration of the Viper charges.

I already took those in consideration. Temporal Chains – Vulnerbility – Faster Casting – Increased Area of Effect, combined with the "Whisper of Doom" keystone I should be able to get both of them up, since that keystone allows me one additional curse.

"

What do you mean with that?

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to look further into this and look further into the equipment, which effects are needed etc.
"
"

What do you mean with that?

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to look further into this and look further into the equipment, which effects are needed etc.

He means that spells CwDT casts are free.

You might like to mix it up with pucture-splash for some more DoT goodness, puncture - viperstrike x4 - whirl back. If viper doesn't kill them, chasing after you will. Bleeding also double dips into vulnerability and you plan to use that already.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
So after taking your replies into my thoughts it should look like this:

Viper Strike – Melee Splash – Increased Duration - Increased Area of Effect – Faster attack – Puncture

Flickr – Faster Cast – Reduced Mana

Enduring Cry – Increased Duration – Cast on damage taken

Temporal Chains – Vulnerbility – Faster Casting – Increased Area of Effect

Smoke Mine – Increased Area of Effect – Faster casting

The playstlye would look like this:
Curse foes -> Smoke Mine -> Flickr into them -> Apply 4 Viper Stacks and Puncture -> get out of there -> repeat if necessary

Not sure when to curse the foes tho.

Also any opinions on the skill tree?(Found in the second post)
Stats:
Spoiler
+150 to Strength
+170 to Dexterity
+310 to Intelligence
+195 to maximum Mana
+127 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 53
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
10% increased Melee Physical Damage
+18% to Fire Resistance
+18% to Cold Resistance
+18% to Lightning Resistance
24% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
+28% to all Elemental Resistances
45% increased Skill Effect Duration
186% increased maximum Life
Converts all Evasion Rating to Armour. Dexterity provides no bonus to Evasion Rating
73% increased Chaos Damage
89% increased Damage over Time
84% increased Evasion Rating
+15% to Chaos Resistance
24% increased Radius of Auras
36% reduced Mana Reserved
20% increased effect of Auras you Cast
10% increased Attack Speed
6% increased Cast Speed
6% increased Movement Speed
Curses you Cast never expire
18% increased Cast Speed for Curses
Enemies can have 1 additional Curse
3% increased Effect of Buffs on You
+2% to maximum Fire Resistance
+2% to maximum Cold Resistance
+2% to maximum Lightning Resistance
75% increased Duration of Buffs and Debuffs you create from skills
1% of Life Regenerated per Second
+62% Energy Shield
+30% increased Melee Physical Damage
+340 Accuracy Rating

I'm not sure if my character could keep up with the mana cost of this combination, think there shouldn't be a problem.
On the other side there is the question how much survivability I have. I also think there shouldn't be a problem since I should have enough res armour/evasion and life(if 180% life is enough)
Just a few quick pointers...

Don't count on getting a 6L item anytime soon.

Also, puncture without melee physical damage support is definitely lackluster, and it doesn't need attack speed which helps viper greatly, so you would do well to split the skills. You probably don't really need inc duration, both skills last enough already and it's an expensive support.

Flicker strike is an attack, not a spell, it benefits from faster attacks, not faster casting, you probably don't need reduced mana on it, it's not THAT expensive.

Faster casting will also do nothing for smoke mine, traps and mines use placement speed.

Flicker is a bit tricky to use as a movement skill, have another one as a backup in case it doesn't work out well, whirling blades most likely.

With a char like this you don't need to be too tanky, you will move around a lot and a shield will provide much protection, so 180-200% health should be enough.

Keep in mind this is really niche so it will perform very suboptimal compared to most other builds, but it's different and fun to play, I played something like this before, with crit splash puncture only. Works decent, but desync is probably your worst enemy.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Mar 15, 2014, 1:49:13 PM
ECry also has no Duration :P
I'm really gratefull for all your replies.
Going to go for an ingame test, from now on.

Viper Strike – Melee Splash – Increased Area of Effect – Faster attack

Grace – Purity of Elements – Vitality – Reduced Mana

Whirling Blades -

Enduring Cry – Cast when damage taken

Temporal Chains – Vulnerbility – Faster Casting – Increased Area of Effect

Smoke Mine – Increased Area of Effect -

That'd be it until now. Guess I'm going to figure the other things out as soon as they're needed, since the base is done.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info