Losing audio when plugging in/out USB headset.

I have some inbuilt audio card with 2.5mm jack, also have a USB headset (Logitech g35). Before 1.1.0 patch I was able to run the game when on sound card, and later plug in the USB headset and the PoE audio would switch automatically. In Win 8 Playback devices pannel the usb headset has priority over the sound card.

Now after the patch, I can start the game on the sound card, sound works fine, but when I plug in the usb headset, all programs switch to the headset (as its the top priority one in sound playback devides panel) but PoE goes all dead silent.

From this point I cannot get the sound back in any way. Also the same happens the other way around. I can start the game with the headset plugged in, all works fine, but when I take it out I lose audio and cannot get it back :/

Before the patch it was working perfectly.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
When you switch to the USB headset (plugging it in) my guess is that it creates a new audio device under Path of Exile that needs to be switched to. The only problem is, I'm not sure it Path of Exile updates that list DURING runtime, or if you have to re-launch to get the new devices list.

So next time you do it, check in the Sound options under devices, and see if it is listed. If not, try restarting PoE and see if the device is listed then.

I also have a USB headset, but I leave mine plugged in all the time, and switch applications (default sound) to it when I want to use only it. Otherwise, all sound goes through the normal speaker output.
I am afraid it doesn't help, I left the usb hedphones plugged in, set them as the default in the device manager/audio manager, started PoE and the sound was on the headphones, but then I changed the default device to the speaker (soundcard) and PoE didn't change. Not only that, after that I completely lost audio from PoE.
Hey there,

Are you able to open PoE and then reset your default sound device? This may mean switching to your headphones, then unplugging and switching back to your speakers (all while PoE is running).

Let us know if this helps.
Need Support? support@grindinggear.com.
I have had the same problem. The game doesn't automatically switch the sound source when you plug in or unplug a headset. It always worked before 1.1.0. Now you must restart the game or manually change the sound source in the sound options from in game.

In my experience, this is either hit or miss with games. They just do or don't automatically switch. PoE always did before 1.1.0 and now it doesn't. It's easy to go into the sound settings and change the source though instead of restarting the game. Takes like 3 seconds.
I believe it would be best if these two related problems would be mentioned in the same thread, even though they look different. In my case (and, I suspect, in haplessG00N's) plugging in the [standard 3.5mm jack] headphones changes the default sound output device in Windows from speakers to headphones. It's slightly different from plugging in and out USB headphones, as that installs and removes the whole built-in USB soundcard device that they contain.

Still, the changes introduced in 1.1.0 are certainly related to both problems, so I'll add my report here.

I play PoE with speakers when playing alone, but when one of my friends goes online I plug in the headphones. Before 1.1.0 it worked as expected: Windows changed the default output device and PoE switched to it on the fly without any problems.

Right now there are two problems for me. One is as described by others (no automatic switch happens when I plug/unplug the headphones, sound still plays on the previously active device, and can only be manually changed in options, which is inconvenient but not too bad).

The other one is worse: if I did not plug in the headphones before launching the game, it only plays the sound on speakers and the drop-down in options dialog is greyed out and inaccessible even after I plug the headphones in. I have to close the game and restart it with headphones plugged in to be able to switch back and forth. Plugging them in and out multiple times does not enable the option. Here's the picture of the disabled drop-down: http://gyazo.com/5254870822b1a091a68f01f5d6efbe97

In my case, it's Windows 7, built-in motherboard audio.
Interesting, perhaps have the game re-populate the Sound Devices list when accessing the Sound tab in the games Options interface? That way these people can at least have some method of getting their USB headsets to work without needing to completely restart the game.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 15, 2014, 12:24:34 AM
I'm not sure what to do now - on one hand, there was a support response here, so the problem is probably in the "known ones" list. On the other hand, the response was of the "plug-in-plug-out-let-us-know" sort, so that could not be the case.

Should I write an e-mail to support to make sure it gets on the list, or not? I do know that e-mail supporters have a pretty long queue right now, so adding extra (probably duplicate, after this tread, right?) workload doesn't seem like a good idea, but... Well, let's just try to bump this thread with multiple reports first :)
Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I'm seeing the same issue. If my headphones (3.5mm) are not plugged in when i launch PoE, i cannot switch to them once I do plug them in. it's as if the client checks all existing audio devices and then never checks again.

I can plug my headphones in after starting the client and go into options and the headphones are not listed under the devices.

If I launch the game with the headphones in, the audio defaults to them and I can also change back and forth between speakers and headphones without issue in the game options.

Let me know if anyone has solved it. It's a minor frustration.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info