Zooming out the camera

Diablo 3 and Torchlight 1 and 2 were just a bit more zoomed out compared to PoE, but that doesen't bother me too much.
TwitchTV: http://www.twitch.tv/emrendil
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Emrendil
Last edited by Emrendil on Jan 30, 2013, 5:35:32 AM
I'm all for a more zoomed out view.

If you zoom in as far as possible you will see further into the distance. This works best if you are on a hill as you can fire arrows/spells at enemies which can't be targeted directly as they are outside the maximum targeting radius. You need to click on the ground between you and them.

Another interesting hack is with a wide screen or dual monitor setup. People who have a wide screen monitor will see more ground than non-wide screen users. You can take this to the extreme by setting up 2-3 monitors and stretching the window across all screens. You can get a similar but less useful effect by making the height of the window smaller.

You can always be able to see more ground to the top of the screen, so learn always to stay south of the enemy.

The only completely fair fix I can think of is to give characters a Radius Of View (ROV :P) similar to the effect when it's dark. Allow users to zoom in or out as much as they want but only show things that are inside the ROV. During the daytime you could have the background/monsters fad out at the edge of sight.

People with different monitor resolutions or better graphics cards would only see things inside the ROV. Zooming out would stop offering any gameplay advantage.
Brutus. Do you even sync?
Amateurs -.-
THE GAME IS FINE AS IT IS NOOBS ...facepalm. I come back from CBT and i see these ridiculous requests of more zoom-out distance omg facepalm.Irritating and Hillarious. what Annan Fay said with "ROV,aka Radius Of View " is something very ridiculous.( Basically what this nub saiz is to zoom out a lot and be in the middle of the screen surrounded by darkness,depending on how much you zoom out) this is plainly ROFLCOPTER facepalm x9001.
Spend more time playing the damn game & helping newbies's proper questions,stop asking for weird things that would ruin the game,at least apply some logic & thinking before posting ridiculous requests(like this one,i think this is the most annoying and unachievable one,unachievable because it would ruin the game people think please), so you don't embarass yourselves.
Last edited by thegamingkage on Jan 30, 2013, 6:29:27 AM
"
CrescentMoon wrote:
at least apply some logic & thinking before posting ridiculous requests(like this one,i think this is the most annoying and unachievable one,unachievable because it would ruin the game people think please), so you don't embarass yourselves.

Then why didn't you do that? :)

Now back to discussion.
@drew_benton: I find your "objections" (can we call it objections?) quite right, but it seems to me like you're thinking of a "far away view" when zoomed out to max, let me know if I misunderstood. I feel too that wouldn't be good.
I'm just talking of putting a little more distance from my view and the character :)
Spoiler

D2

PoE

It's not a great difference as you can see :)

@AnnaFay: I like the idea of ROV :D You can see clearly around you character, in his radius of view, and blurred "far away"; but that means you are zooming out far away, and as I said up here, I will be happy with just a little bit more distance :D

EDIT: Images doesn't works :) Well I hope I've ben clear with words :P
Last edited by Irish86 on Jan 30, 2013, 9:16:37 AM
I feel like its more zoomed in now than it was before
My Kiwi's name is Fluffy.
It eats souls and small children.
Don't fuck with Fluffy.
I'd like about 10% more zoom out, just to ease the cramped in feeling that I get even in open areas. On a widescreen monitor, there's a lot more ground shown already, so us normal-monitor folks get gipped anyway. Although to be fair, I have more vertical distance then a widescreen does (which is why I like the old style monitors in the first place). There's no need to go overboard, but a bit more space would make the game feel a lot better.
"
Rhyse wrote:
I'd like about 10% more zoom out, just to ease the cramped in feeling that I get even in open areas. On a widescreen monitor, there's a lot more ground shown already, so us normal-monitor folks get gipped anyway. Although to be fair, I have more vertical distance then a widescreen does (which is why I like the old style monitors in the first place). There's no need to go overboard, but a bit more space would make the game feel a lot better.

^ This.
agreed, needs moar zoom out :D
Just to add my 2 cents. I would also like it a bit more zoomed out. Now, that being said, if i had the same view range up and down (especially down) as i have to each side it would be great. Walking downwards mobs are on top of me before i see them since my view range there is half of what i have if i was sideways, thanks to widescreen monitors.

When i play a melee class this aint much of a problem, but when i play my squishy summoner this is serious. Then i often find myself one shotted when i map force me to walk down since i have 3-4 mobs on me before i can react.

Also, someone mentioned seeing the details as an argument for not zomming out more. For me, as mainly a summoner, i rarely see mobs since i have to drop a totem and run away to get out of harms way so a bit more view range would actually let me see what is going on for a change :)
Last edited by trondea on Feb 4, 2013, 4:53:03 AM
I play at 1920x1080 and I get shot by stuff off-screen on a regular basis. I also have enemies with charge a attack start the attack from off screen.

I took my level 39 Ranger back into normal to try farming a boss a bit, and got 2-hit killed by white enemies in the Barracks zone. They either attacked or charged at me from off screen. I'm rather loathe to play her in the higher difficulty now as I'm worried about getting killed by off screen stuff and losing XP on a regular basis.

This is exactly why I returned my copy of Diablo 2 after 1 week, way back when it came out. Getting insto-killed by off screen enemies made me hate the game and has permanently chased me away from the Diablo series.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info