Damage taken gained as mana, works like reflect/leech?

After, of course.
So, for example: i have CI = mana will not gain from chaos damage?

Complex example:
1000 ph damage
i have
50% dam reduction
5% Damage taken gained as mana

Mana i'll take will be = 25?

Smb check it?

Thx.
"Отрастил скилл - имеешь право ногибать" СерБ
"
Radonegsky wrote:

Complex example:
1000 ph damage
i have
50% dam reduction

Smb check it?

Thx.

vipermagi can probably check it out if you ask nicely =)
"
Radonegsky wrote:

Right, you mitigated everything, there is no damage taken so nothing is gained as mana.

The example is also ok.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"% damage taken gained as mana" occurs just before the damage taken is subtracted from ES/mana/life. If you're on full mana, it will do nothing, but if you're on no mana, you'll gain it just in time for mind over matter or similar to use that to absorb some damage before life.

Well... that's utterly useless then. The best would be to combine the damage taken and gained and apply it to your mana at the same time, or at least change the order.

As it is, it's not very useful. Please consider changing it.

I wanted to make a shadow miner, but it's impossible without tankiness. ES without leech and going melee isn't really an option, and I hoped that MoM+3x Spirited Response jewels could make it up.

Please consider changing mines nodes locations on the tree and gems colors, or allowing a viable tanky build on the top of the tree without leeching. Mines aren't really popular and that's provably the reason. Well, I guess a max block Necromancer or a CI Occultist is the way to go for mines. But almost half my chars are Witches, and feels stupid not choosing a Saboteur for that task.
Last edited by Visca on Feb 12, 2016, 12:00:10 PM
This way is better for the player, because it means you gain the mana in time for it to absorb some damage, potentially turning a fatal hit non-fatal. Outside of the cap on maximum you end up on the same total mana afterwards, so the only major difference is whether it adds to survivability or not, and this is the order in which it does.
"
Radonegsky wrote:

Complex example:
1000 ph damage
i have
50% dam reduction

Smb check it?

Thx.

It is % of damage you take. So no, you won't gain any mana from chaos damage, when you have CI. Also, again, all reductions apply beforehand, so in your example, you'd gain 25 mana.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
To put it simple, consider you have 10% dmg taken gained as mana with 10% dmg taken from mana, and you take a dmg of 1000 after all dmg reduction.

1. If you are on full mana.
Mana: -100
HP: -900
Total dmg = 1000

2. If you are not on full mana and your used mana is more than 100.
Mana: +100
Mana: -100
HP: -900
Total dmg = 900

So, it's a really strong dmg reduction sources. I think there will be a build that utility this fully to reach a very high dmg reduction rate.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
In theory, the way this is done right now is better for player survivability.
In practice however, I have found that not to be the case at all.

The problems occur when you start taking regular hits. With the current system, you never end up with capped mana, and can even run out of mana if you are hit hard enough (messing up your resource management).

If you gained mana after the hit's damage being applied (which, tbh, logically makes more sense. The damage should be applied before you gain something from the damage being applied) there would be no guarantee that you would have the mana available for MOM to absorb. You would, however, have the appropriate amount for the next hit of the same size (as you just gained mana from the previous hit), which you could also use for your skills.

Since mana is only really going to be used on skills or MOM, the way it is now prevents the regained mana to be used on skills, whereas the way it intuitively should work (opinion) allows you to choose between using it on your skills and using it for damage reduction.

The current way also has some serious reverse synergy with infernal mantle unfortunately.
Last edited by theshadedone on Feb 17, 2016, 12:38:25 AM
"
theshadedone wrote:
In theory, the way this is done right now is better for player survivability.
In practice however, I have found that not to be the case at all.

The problems occur when you start taking regular hits. With the current system, you never end up with capped mana, and can even run out of mana if you are hit hard enough (messing up your resource management).

You never will end up with capped mana this way (and you don't have to be at capped mana all the time either to utilize MoM to its full potential), right and your survivability is way higher this way and much more consistant.
The solution to your problem is: just build around it! There are many ways in this game that prevent you from going OOM and/or can give you mana back quickly when you are running out of mana.

In a MoM build you are using your Mana as a secondary resource which is linked with your life pool. Since you are using mana also for performing skills you can run out when you get struck by a big hit and that is totaly fine.
If mana was gained after the damage is calculated and recieved you would take full damage if you were OOM on your next hit. With the current mechanic you are able to mitigate more damage because you always get some mana when you are hit before you take the damage.

I would never change this mechanic - it is good as it is and it is currently in favour of the player, the synergy is perfect with MoM.
Changing it to gain mana after you take the damage would be a direct huge nerf to this unique mechanic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info