Floating Damage Numbers

I'm referring to an option that when enabled would list all damage that you do above the monster's heads (I'm sure you've seen this in other ARPGs like titan's quest and D3). It seems this isn't currently in the game, I was wondering if there has ever been an official word on whether or not it will be added as its one of my favorite simple features.

Thanks.
They will implement it as an option at some point.
"
habbey wrote:
I'm referring to an option that when enabled would list all damage that you do above the monster's heads (I'm sure you've seen this in other ARPGs like titan's quest and D3). It seems this isn't currently in the game, I was wondering if there has ever been an official word on whether or not it will be added as its one of my favorite simple features.

Thanks.

Maybe it will come one day. Anyway it wouldnt fit the art style in any way.

This whole dps shit is overrated. Hope they dont bring it.
I hope they add some kind of indicator to tell you exactly how much damage something does. This game has so much freedom to create different builds, but it's very hard to determine how good something actually is or isn't.

I came up with this idea to use an Ice Nova totem with Elemental Equilibrium to lower a mob's Lightning and Fire Resist, so that my minion's Minion Instability Fire damage would be increased, and the Added Lightning Damage support gems I have on them would do more as well. I think it's a pretty cool concept, and I started using it tonight, but I have no real way of gauging how good or bad it is without numbers. Things died fast, that's all I could tell. But I was killing things pretty fast anyway so I don't know.
I'm in two minds on this one.

On the one hand, I could see the usefulness of the feedback it would give.

On the other hand, it smacks a little of hand-holding (by removing the uncertainty about build effectiveness), and comes across as a little (for lack a better word) - "Blizzardy".
I don't care about damage numbers like in D3. But one thing that would be cool is like an instance report. Let's say that you can see the total damage dealt, time spent in, damage taken etc in a instance. This way you can compare your spec/playstyle with your friends and tell whos build really is the "better" one.
Last edited by Kemichal on Jan 29, 2013, 6:03:35 AM
"
Kemichal wrote:
I don't care about damage numbers like in D3. But one thing that would be cool is like an instance report. Let's say that you can see the total damage dealt, time spent in, damage taken etc in a instance. This way you can compare your spec/playstyle with your friends and tell whos build really is the "better" one.

That would at least wash the numbers from individual attacks combos to be sure.
I'm not big on the floating numbers concept for several reasons.

1. I tend to play fast attacking characters and the numbers just zip by waaaaay too fast to make sense of them. I had this problem big time in D3 and WoW both.

2. Would really interrupt the ambiance of the game in my opinion.

That being said, I'm not opposed to the *option* of floating numbers for the players that want them, but I would hope they would also add an option to have a 'character' chat window, something like a combat window log you could tab to where the general/trade chat takes place. That way after a fight I could sit down and go over that log and see what was effective, etc. I'm getting older now (33, ancient!) and floating numbers go away too quickly for my old eyes to keep up with. I'm much more inclined to read a static log after the fact to evaluate my play.
Please familiarize yourself with the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (GIFT) - http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Realize that the only part of the equation you can affect in the GIFT is the audience. Remove the audience and the trolls merely rant at the air.
"
Kemichal wrote:

Move speed would have a larger impact than damage in many cases. Getting to the fight first is often under valued.

Did someone just call FCT "Blizzardy"? What the hell...

They didn't invent good UI for christ's sake.
Last edited by Tabx on Jan 29, 2013, 6:07:14 AM
i don't really care if they put it as an option but i'd be bothered if its forced on. Honestly missed how games before didn't have all the screen clutter such as numbles. Only time i care about numbers are to know when i get a crit hit but i realized the screenshakes when u get a crit hit. Very nice touch that i like.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info