Leech: GGG clarify please!

I have a very funny thoughts that all this LL changes is due to the PVP. =\
I Believe I Can Fly ~~~~
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
demivion wrote:
what about small hits that have no chance of capping leech rate? we're stuck with one leech effect at at time, because it's the strongest, but "strongest" is a relative term... incinerate and freezing pulse seem like they will be very bad off
There's no such thing and never has been. There is not a "cap" on leech rate, just a set rate.
All leech, always, happens at the leech rate (20% of max life per second unless you use the quality gem). That's not a cap that has to be reached, all leech is that fast, and cannot be slower*. The only thing that changes based on the size of the hit is the duration for which that leech lasts.

If the quality gem is not in play, all leech effects are at the same rate, and thus all have the same "strength". It's completely arbitrary which one is active at any given point, and there's no way it could possibly make any difference which one is active.

*outside of map mods that reduce recovery speed.

it's a pretty big difference if a single hit doesn't leech enough for the duration to extend until the second hit, which for something that's many small hits at once....like, any kind of aoe lmp/gmp skill, is quite likely
"
dda550 wrote:
Nope. Against single targets Leech is actually sightly better, it just doesn't last as long once you stop hitting. Leech nerf hurts AoE way more, which matters way less in PvP.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
"
"
dda550 wrote:
Nope. Against single targets Leech is actually sightly better, it just doesn't last as long once you stop hitting. Leech nerf hurts AoE way more, which matters way less in PvP.

it isn't. single target leech just didn't get nerfed as hard as aoe leech, which is completely fubar'ed
The highest instance of leech is now the only one that matters, so if you hit then crit, you leech from the crit, rather than leech from the hit then the crit. makes it slightly stronger, but not as long.

The one I'm most worried about is perhaps Incinerate. 20% of my max life is ~600, but even at full power each fireball leeches for less than 90. Does this mean I'll be leeching less than 100 life a second, or is their duration so short I'll effectively be at 600/sec with 30 fireballs/sec?
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
demivion wrote:
what about small hits that have no chance of capping leech rate? we're stuck with one leech effect at at time, because it's the strongest, but "strongest" is a relative term... incinerate and freezing pulse seem like they will be very bad off
There's no such thing and never has been. There is not a "cap" on leech rate, just a set rate.
All leech, always, happens at the leech rate (20% of max life per second unless you use the quality gem). That's not a cap that has to be reached, all leech is that fast, and cannot be slower*. The only thing that changes based on the size of the hit is the duration for which that leech lasts.

If the quality gem is not in play, all leech effects are at the same rate, and thus all have the same "strength". It's completely arbitrary which one is active at any given point, and there's no way it could possibly make any difference which one is active.

Sorry I should have clarified, i mean leech cap as in leeching your full 20% rate continuously while you're in combat hitting a mob

as someone mentioned, yes I'm referring to incinerate with GMP which does good damage but under this leech system each leech would end before the next cast, even when casting 7 times per second.

I think i ended up calculating that my leeches would only last around ~0.05 to ~0.1 seconds each which is not enough to maintain continuous leech... yet my DPS is enough to do lvl 70+ maps fairly quickly (bosses die in ~20 seconds or less)
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
@Mark:
"
Bars wrote:
a) You hit a pack of mobs once with splash damage. Are you going to leech from the damage done to all mobs?
This question in the OP still hasn't been answered. I mean, I understand that the answer is almost definitely "just the one," but some people have trouble with reading comprehension, and require additional assistance. :)

Edit: Also, does the quality bonus for the Life Leech support gem apply only leech provided by the support gem, or does it also apply to any additional leech you may have?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 5, 2014, 12:36:26 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
demivion wrote:

So if you have a Level 20, 20% quality LL gem on a skill and another 5% leech from gear/tree, does that mean only the 8.8% from the gem will apply since that is the strongest? Or was your hypothetical about using 2 different skills, one with a LL gem and one without?
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
demivion wrote:

So if you have a Level 20, 20% quality LL gem on a skill and another 5% leech from gear/tree, does that mean only the 8.8% from the gem will apply since that is the strongest? Or was your hypothetical about using 2 different skills, one with a LL gem and one without?

No, the total life leech you have still is 13.8%, it's just that your leech won't stack anymore, if you AoE a pack of 3 mobs, only your highest damage will leech, example:

mob A: 800 damage (ignored)
mob B: 1000 damage ( leech 13.8% = 138 life)
mob C: 950 damage (ignored)

I Believe I Can Fly ~~~~
Last edited by dda550 on Mar 5, 2014, 12:59:29 AM
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
demivion wrote:

The % of damage leeched as life from different sources (gem/gear/tree) add together and determines the total health you will leech for EACH hit.

Then that % of damage FROM EACH HIT is turned into a heal over time. The duration of the HoT is set such that you heal a certain % of your total health over time. The base for that is 20% of max life per second. @20q that becomes 30%.

The "strongest" that he referred to is talking about the individual HoTs that you get from multiple attacks. I.e. when you hit again before the HOT from your last leech runs out.
Last edited by abbarnes on Mar 5, 2014, 1:01:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info