Is that a gun in your Pocket? PISTOLS

Best suggestion I've heard related to this was to create a unique wand similar to a flintlock. Plenty of available room there.
An early flint stock pistol should have high damage or armor piercing but bad accuracy and slow reloading.
The first shoot should be quick, but there would be a looong gap between shoots.
Actually I don't understand the aversion of most medieval of fantasy themed stuff against guns.
They exist since the 14. century.
A gunslinger should be out of question though, but a "Cuirassier" would fit. Just read about them on wikipedia.
But what I was saying in the beginning was that they should play different from normal ranged characters. Some sort of meele/distanz hybrid maybe.
Alright let me clear some things up about what this thread is about as it seems some people are derailing the thread with ridiculous claims that no one is making.

1- No one is suggesting the inclusion of Glocks, SPAS, AK-47, or a goddamn Ray Gun. This is about 16th-17th century matchlock/flintlock pistols only (and crossbows).
2- This thread discusses the likelihood of existence of pistols given based on thematic, technological, societal, and metaphysical elements in the World of Wraeclast… likelihood of existence as opposed to their widespread usage. No one is suggesting that Tarkliegh’s stand becomes a gun shop. No one is suggesting that rhoas start dropping pistols or that you wash up on the Twilight Strand with a pistol in hand. Understandably pistols would be somewhat rare drops.
3- This thread discusses the likelihood of pistols existing in the World of Wraeclast, as opposed to the Continent of Wraeclast. The Continent of Wraeclast is wild and largely unpopulated at the moment. The same does not hold true for the rest of the world, like Oriath, for example. Whilst Wraeclast may not be able to produce pistols, I am sure they can manage it in Theopolis.

"
MaxTheLimit wrote:

Ah, but is there really any need for the invention? There are weapons and battle gear hidden in every nook and cranny in Wraeclast. Since there seems to be no degradation of these weapons, any joe can saunter along and pick up a bow that is more effective than any gunpowder weapon that could be invented for decades.

Indeed pistols would not be invented in continent of Wraeclast where even a Rhoa can drop a Battle Axe and full plate armor, as unrealistic as that is.
As I pointed above however, this thread discusses the likelihood of pistols existing in the World of Wraeclast as opposed to the Continent of Wraeclast based on what we know.

"
MaxTheLimit wrote:

Sure those not able to channel thaumatergy wouldn't be able to use gems to add the devastating powers the exiles we control do, but it seems every human you come across as an enemy has the ability to use most any of the weapons just scattered around Wraeclast.
Also, most of these human enemies seem perfectly capable of using at least one active skill, so it can reasonably assumed that the ability to use SOME thaumatergy is pretty damned common.

Actually it can be argued to the contrary. The ability to extensively use Thaumaturgy might not be as common as you might think. Here are the reasons why:
1-We never see any of the people in Lioneye’s Watch, The Forest Encampment, or the Sarn Encampment use Thaumatergical skills. In fact they never even mention using such skills themselves.
2- Thaumatergical skills are mostly seen used by rogue exiles, bosses and monsters. Even the majority of the Blackguards mostly use very simple sword skills. This might suggest that the ability to use complicated thaumatergical skills like casting fireballs and such is not as common in humans as you might think and that only a limited number of people can become fully attuned in their use.
3- As a Duelist, Templar, and Shadow… you are supposedly already very skilled and powerful before you were exiled… and yet, you start at level1. Why? This may be because in Oriath you used non-thaumatergical skills and that your leveling-up represent your attunement or adaptation to thaumatergical skills.

"
MaxTheLimit wrote:
Then there comes the armor problem. If powder weapons existed, wouldn't the armor being made reflect this? There doesn't seem to exist in game a single armor which doesn't seem to primary focused on reducing blunt force, or slashing attacks ( excluding ES gear at least, though silk is quite effective against arrows oddly enough ). None of the armor seems to be made to stop bullet, or powder weapon projectiles at all.
1-People continued wearing plate armor for some time even after the invention of pistols because as a status symbol.
2- As I mentioned above, pistols would not be common on the continent of wraeclast hence it still make sense to wear armor that counters the weapons which are mostly in use.
3- As for the point of there not being a single armor in the game that seems designed to counter pistols… what do you think energy shield and Evasion is for?

"
cth_lh0 wrote:
An early flint stock pistol should have high damage or armor piercing but bad accuracy and slow reloading.
The first shoot should be quick, but there would be a looong gap between shoots.
Actually I don't understand the aversion of most medieval of fantasy themed stuff against guns.
They exist since the 14. century.
A gunslinger should be out of question though, but a "Cuirassier" would fit. Just read about them on wikipedia.
But what I was saying in the beginning was that they should play different from normal ranged characters. Some sort of meele/distanz hybrid maybe.

I agree.
Last edited by mouhanad on May 10, 2014, 11:29:54 AM
something organic that runs on thaumaturgy could be cool

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Man, where are muskets? That 14 century 2 handed muskets, mostly used by those cuirassiers and... janissaries aswell.

Or maybe that chinese muskets are fine.
"
have wires and electricity and machines which are very reminiscent of the pseudo-Victorian technology in Dishonered.

Just because the godlike endgame boss has these, doesn't mean they are widespread, or available for commercial use.

I don't remember seeing those anywhere else, correct me if I'm wrong.

Why the FUCK would dominus waste his evil machines on arming the populace (or even piety/the mainland's soldiers?) it just doesnt make any sense.
If I understand correctly, virtue gems themselves are in pretty much the same situation — mostly a product of Dominus & Co., yet strangely drop from monkeys on occasion. However, the fact they are still an infrequent drop helps ease this tension a bit; that's not something you can do with weapons.

I think a better plan would be:
  • Add one-handed and two-handed crossbows to the game. These would have a heavy Dex requirement and a light Int requirement. Either can be equipped with a quiver.
  • Change the attribute requirements of Bows to a heavy Dex requirement and a light Str requirement. (Drawing a bow in real life requires strength.)
  • Convert most Bow nodes into Bow and Crossbow nodes. The exceptions would be the exits from Aspect of Eagle (south would be Bow, northeast would be Crossbow) and the Heavy Draw and Deadly Draw clusters (Heavy Draw side for Bows, Deadly Draw side for Crossbows).
  • Convert most Bow skills to work with both Bows and Crossbows. Exception would be Rain of Arrows.
  • Add MTXs to give a one-handed crossbow the appearance of a Victorian era pistol, and a two-handed crossbow the appearance of a musket. This MTX would also affect the appearance of projectiles fired by the crossbow (which is why RoA was an exception in the previous bullet point). A quiver MTX to make it look more appropriate to firearms would also be nice.
This would make rolling to socket colors you want on a 2h ranged weapon less of a pain (choose red or blue sockets), give archers and wanders more weapon options (as opposed to their current utter lack of options), would not require an extensive rework of the passive tree or skill gem systems, and offer a cool MTX to make the OP of this thread happy.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 14, 2014, 9:49:14 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
have wires and electricity and machines which are very reminiscent of the pseudo-Victorian technology in Dishonered.

Just because the godlike endgame boss has these, doesn't mean they are widespread, or available for commercial use.

I don't remember seeing those anywhere else, correct me if I'm wrong.

Why the FUCK would dominus waste his evil machines on arming the populace (or even piety/the mainland's soldiers?) it just doesnt make any sense.
If I understand correctly, virtue gems themselves are in pretty much the same situation — mostly a product of Dominus & Co., yet strangely drop from monkeys on occasion. However, the fact they are still an infrequent drop helps ease this tension a bit; that's not something you can do with weapons.

I think a better plan would be:
  • Add one-handed and two-handed crossbows to the game. These would have a heavy Dex requirement and a light Int requirement. Either can be equipped with a quiver.
  • Change the attribute requirements of Bows to a heavy Dex requirement and a light Str requirement. (Drawing a bow in real life requires strength.)
  • Convert most Bow nodes into Bow and Crossbow nodes. The exceptions would be the exits from Aspect of Eagle (south would be Bow, northeast would be Crossbow) and the Heavy Draw and Deadly Draw clusters (Heavy Draw side for Bows, Deadly Draw side for Crossbows).
  • Convert most Bow skills to work with both Bows and Crossbows. Exception would be Rain of Arrows.
  • Add MTXs to give a one-handed crossbow the appearance of a Victorian era pistol, and a two-handed crossbow the appearance of a musket. This MTX would also affect the appearance of projectiles fired by the crossbow (which is why RoA was an exception in the previous bullet point). A quiver MTX to make it look more appropriate to firearms would also be nice.
This would make rolling to socket colors you want on a 2h ranged weapon less of a pain (choose red or blue sockets), give archers and wanders more weapon options (as opposed to their current utter lack of options), would not require an extensive rework of the passive tree or skill gem systems, and offer a cool MTX to make the OP of this thread happy.

xD

Agreed. In addition, add grenades as heavy Str and little Dex ranged weapons aswell (throw a grenade onto enemy like a grenadier on real life requires lots os str, even more than bows)
"
PHRandom wrote:
grenades
Um, no.

Technically, I'm not suggesting that pistols or muskets exist... they actually wouldn't. You'd just have weapons that can look like pistols or muskets. And, frankly, I hope GGG doesn't offer the MTXes cheap.

One thing I didn't think about earlier: implicit mods? caster affixes possible? not sure.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 14, 2014, 3:04:13 PM
Hi

Crossbows being heavy on DEX and a little INT is a intriguing idea, curious, why though?
Perhaps 1h crossbows could require heavy DEX and a little INT whilst 2h crossbows would require more STR and less DEX?, feels like a more interesting balance this way since wands require all INT and bows require all DEX, crossbows in this way would be filling in the holes.

Implicit mod on crossbows could be either piercing, reduced stun threshold, incr. stun duration,faster projectiles something along that road.

Crossbows in general would have a better range of damage and fire slower then bows, but I equally figure that the 1h crossbow would fire faster and have less damage then the 2h version.

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
Last edited by Finkenstein on May 15, 2014, 3:00:49 AM
Pistols in the game is a very good idea, but the fact is that the tree needs to be even bigger and modified (why not if a new class comes out, and begins with guns ?) so i'd say, with all the ideas that they have in mind, GGG would do that in a very long time..

Crossbow is also a very good idea though, and would be easier to implant in the game!

So i vote for pistols but i have better hope in some Crossbow out soon !

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info