Is that a gun in your Pocket? PISTOLS

As the title says I think Pistols would fit into the world of wraeclast. Not modern pistols but 17th or 18th century pistols*.

For those who think they don't fit in wraeclast, I'll point you to the Scepter of God. Both the cage were you free the scion and the top of the scepter where you fight Dominus have wires and electricity and machines which are very reminiscent of the pseudo-Victorian technology in Dishonered which does indeed have pistols.

Pistols would be slow but powerful especially against armor though less effective against evasion. They would benefit from projectile speed and projectile damage.

Of course this would be a long term thing as it would require some modifications to the skill tree and some extra nodes like: gunslinger, sharpshooter, crackshot...

So what do you think, would you like to see pistols in wraeclast?

*Edit: Just to clarify, pistols in the 17th-18th century are flintlock pistols. This is what they look like:
Last edited by mouhanad on Feb 27, 2014, 5:31:30 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+1 For the idea! Great.
91 Lvl Bloodseeker Shadow ~
This could be really cool!

If they should get in the game, I would like them to be slow but powerfull, it would make a difference between the two ranged weapons then :)
I'd rather see historically accurate flintlocks(the guns that actually existed int he time period you indicate)>

Early flintlocks were contrary to popular belief basically melee weapons- At most something like a 5 yard or less effective range with any degree of accuracy and only really reliable if you are close enough to stick 'em with a knife anyway. The main way the first flintlocks changed warfare was that they had little difficulty penetrating contemporary armor so they cause a transition away from the heavily armored warrior towards light/no armour which would allow more mobility to avoid being shot. This change also is a large part of why around the same time you saw a transition from heavier melee eapons to rapiers- armor penetration was suddenly less important then a quick and balanced weapon(no one is wearing heavy armor anymore)

So I'd love if PoE would be the one game where flintlocks actually had historically accurate ranges- Short of that I'd prefer to not see them. Something about a guy standing at bow-range accurately firing a firearm in anything short of an early industrialization era tech level(think mid-late 1800s) ruins my immersion.
Talisman softcore IGN:disappointment
Last edited by bilun on Feb 26, 2014, 4:39:07 PM
No. No guns.

Nodes like, "gunslinger" "sharpeshooter" "crackshot"

lol

Absolutely not.
stop over moderating that makes the official forums useless
Hi

In Wraeclast we use wands not pistols.

Mind you I do love the idea of more weapons in wraeclast specifically: Polearms(dex/str, implicit:2+ to melee range), (throwing and non throwing)spears(dex/int, implicit:2+ melee range, throwing version:incr crit multiplier), crossbows(str,increase accuracy)

These weapons classes would definitely add new depth and element to POE mechanics. Here's hoping that crossbows maybe added with those new quivers:)

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
Last edited by Finkenstein on Feb 26, 2014, 5:36:35 PM
I would love to see explosive-powered projectiles of all types. It just makes too much sense not to include with the technology clearly present in Wraeclast. Personally if I found myself washed up on a hostile island and found a magical gem that let me shoot fireballs out of my hand, one of my first thoughts would be to utilize some of the metal dropping from monsters all around me to fashion some type of tube that I could use to contain and direct my fireball better. Then stuff a rock in the end and see what happens. Woila, the Crude Rock Shooter has been created.

All that being said, I think it's probably pretty unlikely just because there are a certain number of people with a completely irrational fear/dislike of any explosion occurring inside a barrel.

Because of that we are most likely to stick with a more traditional "fantasy" theme, even thought it really makes no practical sense and a world with firearms technology would be much more plausible, immersive, and ultimately enjoyable.

Sheathes or an other offhand item for 2h weapons would be nice though, and they might actually implement that.
"
Lailokaenus wrote:
I would love to see explosive-powered projectiles of all types. It just makes too much sense not to include with the technology clearly present in Wraeclast.

"clearly present"- where? There's pseudo mechanical looking things powered by lost Thaumaturgy, but nothing really implying a significant level of scientific/technological advancement.
"

Personally if I found myself washed up on a hostile island and found a magical gem that let me shoot fireballs out of my hand, one of my first thoughts would be to utilize some of the metal dropping from monsters all around me to fashion some type of tube that I could use to contain and direct my fireball better. Then stuff a rock in the end and see what happens. Woila, the Crude Rock Shooter has been created.

The operative word is YOUR first thoughs- We live ina world where everyone know what a gun is and it's basic conceptual design. Ina world where guns have never been invented and adaquate scientific background is not present even the thinker/scientists haven't thought of the idea- and you expect an exile who was just thrown off the beach and is seeing the dead rise to suddenly come up with the idea?

Among the exiles only the Scion really even has the potential background ro be learned.

When justifying technology in the setting you need to argue what would occur to the characters in the setting, not the player.
"

All that being said, I think it's probably pretty unlikely just because there are a certain number of people with a completely irrational fear/dislike of any explosion occurring inside a barrel.
Because of that we are most likely to stick with a more traditional "fantasy" theme,

Ooh passive Aggression.
"

even thought it really makes no practical sense

How?
"

and a world with firearms technology would be much more plausible, immersive, and ultimately enjoyable.

I don't see plausible- if anything A world that has magic and thaumaturgy to lean on has less incentive to advance science.

Technology that doesn't fit the overall setting ruins immersion? news to me

Enjoyability if subjective- I don't doubt it would be more enjoyable to those who either love guns or can't stand game's taking the road most traveled(I don't dispute that high-fantasy is an overdused setting for RPGs). Personally though I favor setting-appropriate tech over being different for the sake of being different.
"

Sheathes or an other offhand item for 2h weapons would be nice though, and they might actually implement that.

Sure, why not? I'd like an offensive offhand weapon for 1H weapons even more- basically something to make 1H weapon+empty offhand" style gameplay a thing
Talisman softcore IGN:disappointment
I'm not a fan of the idea, because it doesn't really fit the the game world.

I can't think of any precedence set in the game for such a technology. Sure, there is a certain degree of mechanical technology, but very little in that way of utilizing combustion. Think about the battlefront area. Large flaming cage balls are still sent via catapult. The content of the balls isn't explosive either, it is merely flammable.

The closest thing I can think of are mines that explode into flames, which is a far shot from using that energy for projectiles.

In a world where magical bows and wands provide the speed, effectiveness needed, why would they bother to start from the very basic early style guns, when the existing technology is so much better? I mean, why invent the gun when bows are able to shoot several shots a second with devastating effect? The proliferation spells and rare items would hold back the development of guns while mechanical progress wouldn't be impacted. This is kinda why I see there being no guns but some rather impressive accomplishments in other technological areas...
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
With metalworking technology advanced enough to create the elaborate heavy plate armors we see in game, I don't buy the argument that it wouldn't fit the world. That being said, the internet psychologist illustrates what I said about the inherent irrationality that will creep into this. Where guns are involved there is simply going to be too much potential whining to ever justify adding them. Sorry OP, I think we are doomed on this one.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info