I'm not quiet sure of your reasoning for not making "gender selection" an option for this game. I think I've read that you didn't want to invest the time, because characters all have armor and what not.

BUT - I think you're missing the boat here, because there are many people who like the ability to customize their toons. I know it has no bearing on the characters abilities, but I think that's besides the point.

I guess since the game is F2P and your revenue source is going to be from Cosmetics - why would you not allow for one of the biggest cosmetic differences between players? There is a lot more then fancy fireballs for you to generate revenue from.

Granted you don't like being lumped up with other MMO's or even being referred as one, but... imho you made a mistake by not investing some time into this option. I know that I have spent several $$$ in EQ2 on cosmetic items for my toons and even paid to have my toons gender changed. Many people take on a whole different persona while playing these games and are willing to pay real money to make there character more unique and stand out from the other thousands playing. I know that I'm not alone here.

FACT is appearance items are a huge revenue source for F2P games and by not creating the model and not giving the option for a customer to choose his/her gender you eliminate some of the possibilities for your revenue... just something to consider.

So I'm done with my rant... I would just like to say that I have been waiting for something like POE to come out for years. So far the only aspect of the game that I wish was different is what I mentioned above. This game looks absolutely amazing and I log into the forums everyday to see what the latest buzz is.

Stepping on that road means sooner or later someone will come up with idea to change face, than skin colour, than who knows what else. There are so many other ways to customize character, which does not require as much efforts as gender and stuff mentioned above.
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
I like it as it is actually...

You wont see much of your character anyways because of all the armor and there is already plenty of customizeation between the caracters even if its not visually.

I like the d2 ish style of picking your character, sometimes a gender fits better as a certain class imo.
Above content may contain traces of nonsense.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
"
wakko wrote:
sometimes a gender fits better as a certain class imo.

I agree. No one will ever sell me the idea that Witch male and female are actualy same class, it can't be. If Witch is pure 100% INT class, Witcher should be 75% INT and 25% STR or something similar, being class of it's own. In PoE context, he would sit inbetween Witch and male Templar. But to ask GGG for that would mean asking for doubling number of classes.

It might be implemented one day, though.
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
I tend to disagree...

In d2 the ranger was female and sorc femal and the warrior/temp male.
There were obviously millions of players playing the same classes and not choosing male/female for each class.
It wasnt a deal breaker - it just was the way it was....
The differences in armor/weapons etc were more than enough to feel "customized"..

I cant see being stuck with only a female witch as a game breaker....
It just is....and I cannot see the developers changing it at this late stage.

Maybe in the future - maybe...but it would be an awful lot of extra time and resources for that choice - for which I dont thik the majority of players would care about....

The Exiled Clan
www.exiledclan.org

Recruiting all new players now!
Last edited by purepower on Jul 8, 2011, 7:49:17 PM
I completely agree with OP. Gender is a huge issue with RPG games. It allows the player to acquire a little extra attachment to their class and will not effect gameplay what soever - it will just be an extra option to make the game feel a little more immersible. Even if you cannot see your class, it is something that makes a player feel like their character is who they want it to be... And even if some people are saying that gender doesn't bother them, their are the majority that do agree with the decision of gender.

At least allow the gender customization option to be something a player can choose from a cosmetic store in the game. I am not sexest at all but i'd love to play a Witch and i would rather it be a male character. Being a male myself i feel more suited to play a male character... this tiny aspect is what will stop me from playing the Witch.

PS: We are not playing a realistic game - I play games to get away from reality and have heaps of fun. Who cares if there is a male Witch, what difference does it really make. Just call it a Whitcher or a Wizard or some shit and move on.
WOOOOO_NESS_OF_DOOM!!!!!
Last edited by Nightblaze1 on Jul 8, 2011, 8:44:51 PM
In my opinion lack of "choosing the gender" option won't affect POE community so much but... on the other hand i think it would be better if such an option existed. Some men for example, don't like playing a female character.

but as i wrote before, it's not so important
(^_^) betabetabetabeta
I never meant to imply it was a deal breaker for POE. I'm simply stating that many other games allow this selection as a character. It doesn't have to effect the class in anyway. Whether you're a Marauder, Templar or whatever you wouldn't need the class to be different.

As I stated earlier it would just be a good way for players to better relate to their characters and again also open up shop items for a different look if you were to sell appearance type items.

Having a male witch or opposite of any class would basically be a different skin/model. From what I gather the game is fairly polished so this wouldn't be that hard to implement. The biggest expense would come from having to make alternate sound effects (grunts, spells, screams, etc...)

I think saying D2 had set genders and did fine is a poor reference. We have all played D2 and most likely a hell of a lot more games since then. D2 was a kickass game - ELEVEN years ago. Technology and gaming have changed a lot since then. People want and expect more from their games now more then ever. I'm sure that GGG would want to hit a large group of people and are not just gearing this game towards past D2 players. A lot happens in 11 years. Take me for instance I now have 3 kids that are of age to play a title such as POE. If I were to reinstall D2 and tell them to have fun they would laugh ;)
I reckon a poll should be put up whether or not gender options should be available and if available, how they should be available.

Anyone know how to apply one?
WOOOOO_NESS_OF_DOOM!!!!!
"
Nightblaze1 wrote:
I reckon a poll should be put up whether or not gender options should be available and if available, how they should be available.

Anyone know how to apply one?

I think only Chris can add polls.
(^_^) betabetabetabeta

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info