Path Of Exile vs, Diablo 3

"
C1111 wrote:
PoE > ARPG
D3 > arcade

This pretty much. The gameplay in D3 is a million times better than in PoE but ultimately the game is shallow so it has no staying power other than to just blow up mobs mindlessly arcade style.

D3 had me completely hooked the first run through on normal but even before reaching level 60 you got the feeling of shallowness and then once you hit 60 the end game was dreadful. However if I log on and play the actual combat is just pure and simple more fun than PoE. The problem is there needs to be more than just combat to keep me around and D3 just doesn't have it. Don't get me wrong though, PoE really falls flat as you get higher level too for me at least. It is the nature of the repeat the content multiple times to level thing. It is a trend I hope goes away.

Sadly the best diablo game in the series was D1. A big long random dungeon is better than repeating the same lame story over and over.
Last edited by EnderCN on Feb 6, 2013, 9:07:08 AM
Diablo 3 has a better story only because PoE hasn't even attempted a story. D3's story is terrible. "Let's kill the most iconic character off in act 1 without a cut scene by some crappy miniboss you kill 2 hours later" end of fucking story.
D3 also has smoother combat, but only because of the budget difference. I don't see where else d3 exceeds and I really tried to force myself to like that game
First I would like to say I enjoy PoE a lot. It has great depth and a has a great core to build upon. The skill tree, skill gems, and ways you can improve your character are what D3 needed badly. I do however think the game has A LOT to improve on before it becomes the king of all ARPGs.

One thing that sets PoE from D3 for me is this. Blizzard made a lot of promises with D3 that showed what the game was about when it was first announced. There were a lot of things in the first couple videos that never even made the game. Epic deaths? Never seen siege engine pick up my barb and eat him in half. Skills such as locust swarm that you were supossed to put on your dogs? Need I even mention PVP? I played D3 for awhile, mostly because nothing else was available that I wanted to play until Torchlight 2 came out. PoE has told you what they want to do and have done that from the start. Big kudos in my book.

I have one that are all lvl 60 in D3. I enjoyed them all. They all have their different play styles. Combat is fast paced and pretty flawless. That is about it I enjoyed it but it lacked a lot that made D2 great.

PoE when you get passed the great customizable options has a lot of flaws. I say this also because it is a new game that is only in open beta at the moment. There is a ton of server issues, a ton of dsyncing issues also. It is also great that everything is open to skill up. However I feel it takes away from the characters a tad. You dont really pick a templar because of anything. You pick him because you want to be a lightning strike fool and he has a lot of str, shield, elemental damage, and health nodes right there. That is just an example. I play a templar and picked him for that exact reason.

PoE has a ton of items(which is fantastic).. most of them are downright ugly and not appealing to look at though. The armor look like slabs of metal or the leather is downright bland. Most of the one handed weapons I have come across as a templar do not size correctly. Warhammers for example look like I am holding a normal handyman hammer. I might be going to build a house? Also do I even need to mention pants?????!?! Old man legs get old.

However, I think PoE will turn into one of the best Arpgs in the future. The team seems committed. The mods and devs are usually in the game and help out with questions left and right. They keep us informed on the forums and do a great job explaining what they are planning. They also keep us up to date on what is going on if something is currently not working or broke. They have the core, now they just need to fix things. Like I said it has the core mechanics to become great. Lets see where GGG leads it.

Overall though I think both D3 and PoE are a good game. They are two totally different types of ARPGs though. There are a lot of them out there and all offer something different. Sacred 1&2, Titans Quest, Torchlight 1,2, Diablo 1,2,3, and countless others. They all offer
something. It may not be for you but it they were all popular to some degree for a reason.

Comparing these to each other is silly though. D2 had 12-15 years to be made and polished. IMO it is the king of what can be done right for ARPGs. Titans Quest almost had what D2 did, but the studios closed before they could really really work at it. Sacred offered HUGE lands, Torchlight is pretty good but a little to cutesy for me.

Lastly before you bash, realize I do like this game a lot. I do think it has its flaws though also.

Last edited by Laonar on Feb 6, 2013, 9:23:46 AM
If they combined Diablo 3 graphics and smooth game play with PoE skill tree and the way we find and lvl our skills it would be a game that would go on forever.

But I find I get bored very quick with both games. I for one can't wait for Skyrim online and hope that game to be a success.
Diablo vs. PoE

Diablo pros/PoE cons

1.D3 has solid programming when it comes to hitboxes and general battle mechanics. Nearly no desynch. PoE really feels amateurish in comparison.
2.D3 doesn't make my computer go to 10fps whenever someone uses an ability yet the graphics still look better.
3.D3's environmental design is infinitely better. Nearly all places in d3 were a true work of art; the cathedral area at the start of act 1 really blew my mind. I also like the ability to interact with my environment (shooting out candles, destroying some wells or tables/chairs and so forth). The colors are particularly annoying as well, I am not colorblind at all (in fact, I scored perfect on a recent color hue test which placed me in the top 2% of all people), but while I'm walking through some of the maps the colors don't seem to have enough 'contrast' to them. Again, especially in act 3 (I don't like this act at all actually and I didn't play in closed beta). Places such as the warehouses and sand areas in act 1 (ledge, rocky climb, etc.) are just extremely dull and unappealing. I liked the sewers area in act 3 a lot though, same goes for the ship graveyard.
4. D3 had an auction house. No need to sit in some dubious chat spamming that I want to sell a 12% quality greater multiple projectiles gem only to have lowball kids who don't have any clue at all messaging me thinking they can buy the entire world for '1 chaos'. That being said, the current trading system is very discouraging for new players as there's no way to get a good sense of what something is worth without investing lots of time into it (and the trading itself is also extremely tiring). If I read a d3 guide on a forum for class [x] that needed item [y], I could go to the auction house and look up the item and see exactly how much it's worth and how much I'd be paying more for a high end roll on certain affixes.
5.D3 has a better map and logistics design in general. Many maps in PoE feel discouraging due to their size and/or cumbersome because there is no clear 'road' in many of them (I'm looking at you act 3).
6.D3 has a more interesting bestiary.
7.D3 has a proper loot system whereas the loot system in PoE is absolutely retarded. I feel like GGG developers got really, really high one night which resulted in part awesome (charging, fireball-shooting banners in the solaris temple) and part abysmal (loot system).

Diablo cons/PoE pros
1. Characters in d3 absolutely suck dick. Sorry, there's no nice way to put it. My level 60 demon hunter is the same as anyone's level 60 demon hunter and there's absolutely no reason to ever make a new demon hunter after you've leveled one to 60. The skill tree (and how it is somewhat forgiving with refund points and regret orbs which in turn are currency) is amazing.
2. Items in D3 are extremely boring and uninteresting, which is not the case in PoE.
3. The item system when it comes to value, currency etc. is infinitely better in PoE.
4. Item progression in PoE with all the crafting is extremely satisfying. Due to market values it's currently nearly always better to save up/sell your currency in trade for items but this may change and there are exception. Take a look at these ballerbitchin boots I made myself:

They dropped 4L with the 30% movement speed mod. One socket was red but a few chromatics later and I had the exact colors that I wanted (for double trap with double crit support as you can see). I was going to use this item anyway (because hooray for movement speed and 4L in my color), so I added a new stat to it as those orbs are cheap anyway. Bam, a high fire res roll. Because these boots were so amazing I decided to regal them and bam, I got lucky and got a bit of life. It's a very satisfying feeling.

5. Open world in PoE, infinitely better than the multiplayer system in D3 which is as atrocious as it can get.

---

All in all, I feel like PoE is an absolutely overwhelmingly better game than Diablo 3, but this is definitely not due to graphics and mechanics. Nearly all the things that PoE has over Diablo are conceptual things (with a few exceptions such as the lack of an auction house, but then again, a lot of people will probably disagree with me on that).
Beyond league.
D3 got some stuff right, but they got the big ones wrong outside of combat.

POE, jury is still out but so far, it looks like they got the big stuff right, and are working on the rest. Combat wise, I don't ever expect it to compete, but it's playable and looks good enough so it's not a deal breaker.

If they ever put an AH in this game I'm done.

They really are very different games.

PoE has some work to do in regards to combat mechanics though.
d3 has the best cinematics far away, nothing else for me
my english sux.
While I strongly suspect PoE is way better than D3, it is too early to say for me. I loved D3 up till I killed Diablo on Inferno. That first full playthrough (ie Normal -> Inferno) was really good. It is AFTER that that the rot sets in and you realize there is no end-game whatsoever and the on-going grind is not fun nor rewarding.

I'm not at that point in PoE yet, nowhere near. So will reserve final judgement till then. One thing I will say is PoE has a troubling lack of content. I was extremely surprised with how quickly I finished Normal, especially since I am a 'fill in every corner of the map' kinda player.

PoE may be a 100 hour game or it may be a multi year game for me, not sure yet. I really hope it's the latter, as I need a new obsession.
Did you know level 91 is the halfway point to level 100? This means that a softcore character dying ONCE at level 85+ can lose many days of progress.
Last edited by GhostlightX on Feb 6, 2013, 9:51:27 AM
"
C1111 wrote:
d3 has the best cinematics far away, nothing else for me

D3 has some of the best barrel-smashing action I have ever witnessed.
Did you know level 91 is the halfway point to level 100? This means that a softcore character dying ONCE at level 85+ can lose many days of progress.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info