Theorycrafted Searing Bond, MoM, AA, EB build!

Really quick this is just a theorycrafted build at the moment, have yet to test. Will be playing this on the new leagues! Feel free to comment and suggest things!

Edit: I didn't explain well enough that this build is to be used to start the new leagues and go self found, so uniques are generally out.

Ocknon's Searing Bond, Mind Over Matter, Elderich Battery, and Arctic Armour build!
Inspired by ZiggyD's EK scion build

And TheUberElite's TankyTotems build

Introduction to the build

I wanted to use the insane tankyness that is brought from Arctic Armour and Mind over Matter as well have some fun with searing bond, a skill that I love a lot. This build in theory (can't wait to test it!) will have insane defensive capabilities while still being able to do a great amount of damage.

Why Searing Bond over Ziggy's EK scion with Etheral Knives?

I have played that build and it is very fun, however I find that the constant DPS from Searing Bond to be a lot stronger and easier to use than EK, reason being is that the searing bond will do constant damage instead of having to shoot and scoot as you would with EK, and if you need to avoid an attack you don't have to stop ALL of your DPS to do so.

Defensive Capabilities

Spoiler
-Life
Spoiler
In the passive tree alone the build get's about +172% which isn't 200% but remember, AA and MoM will help a ton. Also the build has a decent increase in base life, a total of 139 base life, with 172% that's 239.1 base life alone.

-Elderich Battery and Mind over Matter
Spoiler
It's a pretty standard combo, a massive mana pool mixed with Mind over Matter keeps you alive. In the passive tree we get a decent 82% increased energy shield mixed with Discipline to help out a ton.

-Arctic Armour
Spoiler
After playing around with Ziggy's EK scion build, I fell in love with Arctic Armour, it's a bit broken in my opinion and it's just too good to pass up, plus quality gives movement speed so why not? We cover the mana drain with the high mana pool and with a max mana increase of 72% with a mana regeneration rate of +140% as well as running Clarity and Discipline with a 34% increased effect.

Offensive Capabilities

Spoiler
Searing Bond at first seemed average to me, and then the nerf and buffs happened and I still didn't really care for it, until I saw TankyTotems doing the damage that he was doing and then it hit me.
The reason why Searing Bond is an insanely strong skill is because it does constant damage over time without making the player lose all damage when they move around to survive.
It also doesn't need that many links at all and can be run on all self found gear.

Spell Traps activate Elemental Equilibrium reducing a target's fire resistance by a free 50% on top of Flammability or Elemental Weakness which combines to about a 90% reduction.

Bandits Bandits and more Bandits
Spoiler
Normal
Help Oak because the 40 extra base health is too good to pass up for anything else, seriously who gets +8% to resists? lol.

Cruel
Kill them all for that passive point.

Merciless
Kill them all for that passive point.

The One and Only Passive Tree
Spoiler

0-20
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABCGcVIBg8Kk0s6TWSPydBh0rIbqqI8ZM6rFm18rc-vSfdDedj-ej-Cg==
-Gives a really good amount of life to rush through act 1 without too much hassle, Mervail is pretty easy with that amount of life and a bit of resists. The strength and Dex nodes let you get any weapon you want to use to Spectral Throw (because the Scion gets nothing else to begin with)

20-40
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABCGcVIBg8J-0o-imlKk0s6TWSPC0_J0GHRZ1KfUrITipbr2egbqp6qoLHh3aI8ZM6muCnCKxZrKq18rc-uJO9J8T2xq7dDedj6-756PzF_go=
-The life will help you carry onto the later parts of the game and you should be able to get pretty far without taking many key passives, don't worry were sacrificing early game for an insane mid game power spike that will keep growing. May as well spread out in the part of the game where you can get through without the need of damage.

Skills
Spoiler
Searing Bond
In order of importance
Searing Bond
Increased Burning Damage
Minion and Totem Elemental Resistance
Faster Casting
Item Rarity
Empower

Arctic Armour
Arctic Armour
Empower
Enhance

Auras
Clarity
Discipline
Grace
Reduced Mana

Lightning Warp
Lightning Warp
Faster Casting
Reduced Duration

Curses
Flammability OR Elemental Weakness OR Vulnerability
Increased Duration
Increased Area of Effect
Faster Casting

Trap
Trap
Multiple Traps
Quality Shock Nova OR Ice Nova
Elemental Proliferation

Author's Note
I hope you guys like this, this is my first fully theorycrafted build. I tried my best and even if it doesn't work out, I hope you guys like the thought of it. I hope you guys appreciate the time I spent on it and gave constructive feedback if you feel the need. Thanks a ton and hope you guys enjoy!
-Ocknon

TL'DR
Too bad you're lame, read it or don't use my build.

Edits
-Changed to shock nova with multy trap instead of ice nova trap.
-Added vulnerability as an option for curses, for high fire resist mobs (overcapped).
-Added Grace for auras, the build should be able to run two 60% auras with a reduced mana gem reliably
-Changed a little bit of the passive tree, re-did some of the math that was wrong or needed an update.
-Changed some of the formatting and made it look nicer.
-Added the Passive Tree Summary.
Last edited by ocknon on Mar 4, 2014, 12:39:57 AM
I will update to change things and edit them in when needed! Hopefully improve the build and perfect it in the future if it works!
For proc EE, I think a combo of Trap - Quality Shock Nova - Multiple Trap - Ele Prolif will do a better job. . Deerstalker can be a good item because of the innate Trap support if you can spare your boots slot. EE might be a problem in a party however. I don't think the Faster Casting in your Ice Nova set up will help much if you decide to use it still

Vulnerability might be a good contender instead of Flammability or Ele Weakness. Some mob can have their resist so over capped that after Flammability and/or Ele Weakness, they still have 75% fire resist. Since Fire Pen can't be used with Searing Bond, I think a definite 40% increase DoT might be better. Also, if you happen to party with someone, I think Vuln supports more builds.

Lightning Warp can be near instant when you link it with Reduced Duration + Faster Casting

Personally, I don't plan my build around those 3 Empower, Enlighten, and Enhance gems. It's usually hard to get them to maximum potential unless you want to shell out some currency.
Last edited by Asperior on Feb 19, 2014, 11:31:29 PM
Shock nova is iffy though because it can't hit the center of it, which could miss the mob entirely, however the chance to shock could be useful, I'll play around with it, I'll add that part in now, thanks.

Vulnerability increases the damage by 40% but if the resists are over capped, it wouldn't matter that much anyone, I'll still probably take flammability or Ele weakness over it, but it is another option.

Lightning Warp is OP.

I just stuck in empower and enlighten because I have no idea what else to put on, I just stuck them on there for just random options if you -happen- to have those gems and nothing else left to do with them.

Thanks for your input, really helps!
"
ocknon wrote:
Shock nova is iffy though because it can't hit the center of it, which could miss the mob entirely,

I am aware of this, which is why I put Multiple Traps in there. This ought to help with the dead center, also, if it does shock it will Prolif to mob in the center.

"
ocknon wrote:
Vulnerability increases the damage by 40% but if the resists are over capped, it wouldn't matter that much anyone, I'll still probably take flammability or Ele weakness over it, but it is another option

The reason I think Vuln is better is, well let's try a scenario. Assuming your burning is 100 dps, and the mob has 150% fire resist. After lv 20 Flammability, it still has 101% resist, still overcapped so it defaults to 75%. Using Flammability wouldn't really matter in this case, while I think Vuln will be able to help with the 40% increase DoT. With 75% resist, the dps is now 25, but with Vuln it is up to 35, maybe not much, but still better than Flammability or Ele Weakness. If the mob isn't overcapped though, I agree Flammability or Ele Weakness will be better, but only 10% better at lv 20, while you don't really need to level Vuln since the DoT increase doesn't change, just the AoE range, saving you some mana.

"
ocknon wrote:
I just stuck in empower and enlighten because I have no idea what else to put on, I just stuck them on there for just random options if you -happen- to have those gems and nothing else left to do with them.

Another way to up the damage of Searing Bond, is to use Trap support gem, so it will be Searing Bond - Trap - Increase Burning Damage - Reduced Duration lv 1 - IIR - Minion and Totem Resist, but you will need the unique belt Sunblast to make the trap trigger right when it is thrown, which is vital because otherwise it might get destroyed by AoE skills.

Remote Mine works too, but I think it's too clunky
Last edited by Asperior on Feb 20, 2014, 12:11:40 AM
No idea how to quote people sorry.

Yea, I did add the shock nova with multy trap, it seems very effective.

I think what I could do is run Vulnerability with Elemental Weakness or Flammability and I could choose which mob needs what curse.

Even if that up's the damage, it is more complex (I'm too lazy to figure things out, and this build was supposed to make the game a lot easier for a first run through.) And with that unique it's not that much of a self find build and I like self find builds haha. But it is defiantly and option.
It is indeed more complex, but I doubt you can get your hands on a Empower lv 3 early in the new league ;) Something to work toward to I guess. That said, the Trap + Reduced Duration + Sunblast is a moderate combo if you need to up your damage while leveling.
Last edited by Asperior on Feb 20, 2014, 12:23:26 AM
Yea I hope it works out, the only problem I see is the progression of the skill tree, I'm not very good at what nodes to get and go for per act.
One thing that I didn't notice, is that I don't see you using Grace or Determination. If you don't use those, or at least Grace, I think taking IR isn't worth it. I understand that you won't have enough % Reduced Mana Reservation, but that's the downfall of this build I guess. It simply can't have everything, not without a lot of investment.
Why did you not get Holy Fire? It's 60% increased Burning Damage.
I like Apples!!!

★ Master Crafting Service ★ Level 8 Elreon, Tora, Vagan, Cata, Haku, Vorici ★ Level 5 Leo ★ Level 8 craft - 10c ★ Multiple level 8 Crafts - 20c ★ Rest are free, donate if you wish to donate it helps me out ★ Thread: 1519129 ★ Vouches Appreciated ★

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info