"Classic" Effects

I was thinking about how I like the original spectral throw effect more than the current one, and how it'd be nice if there was a microtransaction that looked like the old one, and it reminded me of how there's a decent amount of players who prefer the old aura effects too. This gave me the idea for a new microtransaction: "Classic Effect". It can be applied to a skill gem to change the graphic effect of that skill to the previous version.

The benefits of this:
-We can have back the original 'bright white light' spectral throw.
-Players who prefer the old auras have the option of using them.
-I recall russell saying that the old auras were not something they'd be comfortable selling as microtransactions due to their low quality; however, this particular microtransaction can be applied to more than just auras.
-Another GGG concern was people aura stacking and looking like a disco studio. Since it can only be applied to one skill gem at a time, in order for someone to do this again, they would not only have to build around it but also spend a lot of money, purchasing the microtransaction multiple times for each aura. This would significantly lower the amount of people looking like a disco.

Is this something that's possible?
Its possible but we changed them because they looked ugly and didnt fit the game. More auras will come in the future to buy. They may even be kind of the same as the old ones. However we would heavily overhaul them to look.... well good. We are just busy on this mini expansion stuff atm.

The spectral throw thing was a shader bug.

We could sell the old auras. Though I wouldnt know where to find them. However the rage would way outway the extra microtransactions. If there wasn't rage and we could calmly ask the community if they would be happy with some back on the store then we would. However seeing as that would not happen I guess we can never bring them back.

I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
"
Russell wrote:

We could sell the old auras. Though I wouldnt know where to find them.

Don't you use some sort of revision control system for the artwork?
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
Thanks for replying, Russell!

"
Russell wrote:
The spectral throw thing was a shader bug.

Huh, it looked surprisingly good for a bug! It reminds me of a bright-white version of the current golden spectral throw microtransaction.

"
Russell wrote:
Its possible but we changed them because they looked ugly and didnt fit the game. More auras will come in the future to buy. They may even be kind of the same as the old ones. However we would heavily overhaul them to look.... well good. We are just busy on this mini expansion stuff atm.

A lot of players think they look good though - aren't the monsters still using them, too? I think even for newer players it would just seem like they have access to the monster auras too now.

"
Russell wrote:
We could sell the old auras. Though I wouldnt know where to find them. However the rage would way outway the extra microtransactions. If there wasn't rage and we could calmly ask the community if they would be happy with some back on the store then we would. However seeing as that would not happen I guess we can never bring them back.

Wasn't most of the rage over them being gone? I feel like if there was a discussion by GGG about bringing them back, there wouldn't be that much rage - most of the ragers would be happy about their return, I think.
"
Bunnu wrote:
"
Russell wrote:

Wasn't most of the rage over them being gone? I feel like if there was a discussion by GGG about bringing them back, there wouldn't be that much rage - most of the ragers would be happy about their return, I think.

Damn, I want to be optimistic like you. You really think all those haters on the forum won't take the bait and spill around their crap when GGG sells an effect prior available for free to everyone?
I'm pretty confident a lot of people will be angry at them doing a pure and simple money grab if they re-introduced previously created effects, and placed them behind a pay wall.

They already exist! Why you (them) charging for something you've already done and was, previously, free and costs barely anything to re-release?

I would be against it.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 19, 2014, 6:43:17 AM
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
Damn, I want to be optimistic like you. You really think all those haters on the forum won't take the bait and spill around their crap when GGG sells an effect prior available for free to everyone?

I was referring moreso to a discussion about bringing them back. People could express their opinion without GGG's decision having been made yet, and they'd get to read the reasons and such for it being behind a paywall.

"
They already exist! Why you (them) charging for something you've already done and was, previously, free and costs barely anything to re-release?

Because they don't fit the art style GGG wants for the players and they don't want a ton of people running around with all of the old auras. Being a microtransaction fixes both of those since less people will have it and microtransactions are allowed to be fancier and slightly art-bending.
Last edited by Bunnu on Feb 19, 2014, 7:41:32 AM
"
Bunnu wrote:
"
Nightmare90 wrote:

I was referring moreso to a discussion about bringing them back. People could express their opinion without GGG's decision having been made yet, and they'd get to read the reasons and such for it being behind a paywall.

"

Because they don't fit the art style GGG wants for the players and they don't want a ton of people running around with all of the old auras. Being a microtransaction fixes both of those since less people will have it and microtransactions are allowed to be fancier and slightly art-bending.
Make them free micro transactions and let the player decide what they want, no backlash is possible from this approach except possibly from mentally unsound people.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
I would be throwing money at my screen immediately if they appeared to MTX shop, but I guess many (most?) people who like(d) them, and it's something they've already had once, would make them sad atleast, if they had to pay for it. But like mentioned already, I'd be all over them, even if they were only available in mtx shop.
Spoiler
Last edited by Juhazzz on Feb 19, 2014, 9:35:06 AM
"
Make them free micro transactions and let the player decide what they want, no backlash is possible from this approach except possibly from mentally unsound people.

The art team doesn't really like them, though. I'm looking for a compromise that makes both the players and GGG happy, not just the players.

"
Russell wrote:
Though I wouldnt know where to find them.

Aren't the enemies still using them?
Last edited by Bunnu on Feb 19, 2014, 8:40:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info