Who hates sports?

"
FatesDefiler wrote:
Sports is the epitome that represents our societies methodology: all problems can be solved through violence.

yes but those are the shit sports

aint nothing violent about swimming, caving, tennis, running etc

its just the team vs team ones that are shitty
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
I'm having trouble articulating what my feelings are over this.

I enjoy that sports exist for recreation, exercise, team building and those sorts of things, but the extent that its taken in the professional or competitive amateur level is just silly to me.

Merchandising - Oh Arod uses this razor?!? this must be fantastic then.

Sport "heroes" & role models - Real heroes are people that do more than play games all their life

Fans fighting and Parents fighting over their kids sports teams - self explanatory

How much time and money people devote to "their team" - I mean if they get enjoyment from it who am I to tell them how to spend their money & time, but the reason it costs so much is because pro athletes get paid too much, and I'm not gonna sit through 9 innings of baseball.

Historic Stat memorization - and yet if I talk about video game stats I am mocked

"National Sports" - Yay I'm Canadian so I must love Hockey by default

"80% of important deals are made on the golf course" - Gag me with a fucking tee

I could go on.

I just don't get it, I mean if that's what you enjoy, more power to you, but don't act like people are weird for not enjoying sports.

Olympics are fresh on my mind for obvious reasons.

I get a kick out of the Olympic commercials "years of devotion and training all come down to this moment". Great, so you spent your whole youth training for a specific thing that will get 5 mins of air time if you are lucky. Everyone else gets to see you do a trick and then goes on with their lives. What else could you have done with all those years of devotion that would be better for society than a 5 min trick? Again I'm conflicted, I think its great that people train and keep themselves healthy and can do a sporting activity for enjoyment, but at the same time its a very selfish thing. Your family, your friends, your trainers, all have to give their money, time, etc to help you accomplish something that is basically solely for you to feel like you accomplished something.

Another sporting thing that bugs me:
Why are professional athletes allowed in the Olympics which is supposed to focus on amateur sport? Hockey & Basketball I'm looking at you.

Last edited by NightCicer on Feb 10, 2014, 4:52:58 PM
i have a saying for this thread.

'the best teacher in the world can teach someone who believes they have all the answers nothing.'
oh this is my first time opening this thread cause i thought this was a sport hate thread :p

i like basketball, used to be in a few teams as a kid. still play sometimes at school/at home

thats about it.
"
FatesDefiler wrote:
i have a saying for this thread.

'the best teacher in the world can teach someone who believes they have all the answers nothing.'

I'm not sure if your referring to me but I can assure you that I don't have all the answers which is why I asked the question. I've noticed that there is a strong anti sport sentiment amongst gaming communities and hobbyists that don't typically favor exercise. I'm genuinely curious about why.

I love computer games as well as sports, in fact I can appreciate someone giving 100% effort in almost any given field. Even if the activity doesn't appeal to me, I can still recognize the skill involved, it could be painting a picture or paving a driveway, if it's done with skill I'll applaud their efforts.

Lots of sportspeople display skills that I'll never be able to replicate and I think that's worthy of praise. I don't understand why so many people hate sports.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

"
Rotunda_PoE wrote:
oh this is my first time opening this thread cause i thought this was a sport hate thread :p

i like basketball, used to be in a few teams as a kid. still play sometimes at school/at home

thats about it.

(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
bhavv wrote:
"
Rotunda_PoE wrote:

thats about it.

notme.jpg

really-REALLY!?

i am disappoint in most of you now..
Obviously it wasn't you because its a boy.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
bhavv wrote:
Obviously it wasn't you because its a boy.

QQ, sorry fire kid, couldnt make it here, sticking to rotmg forums thanks.

jk
Last edited by Rotunda_PoE on Feb 10, 2014, 9:08:59 PM
I don't like it, but I don't hate it.

Nothing wrong with sports, hell the super bowl commercials are pretty damn funny, so whatever.

Eh, then again what the hell do I know about sports?
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
Last edited by Fire_Kid on Feb 10, 2014, 10:31:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info