PoE vs Grim Dawn

"
miljan wrote:
Played it, really good game.

Things the game already does better than PoE:
-combat animations and feel is few times better than poe. When you hit, they start flying, limbs and blood splashing all around.
-monster design and diversity even now is few time better done than in PoE
-drop rates of low level uniques is also a lot better balanced (yes, you gonna get them when you actually need them)
-there are some secrets on maps, or some other interesting things to find (special rare chests) , not like PoE, where there is nothing than mobs.

The thing the game doesnt do better, and will probably not whne it is finished in future:
-area design visually is not diverse, so most areas looks really similar (even act 2 is similar), also no randomization (or very little)
-skill design also not that diverse. A lot of skills are similar, both visually and mechanically.

Some other things:
-offline game, no lag
-no secured server, so cheating is easy
-support modding

Thats all for now

Any videos of the latest version?
Because this does sound nice.
Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
"
Hyskoa wrote:

Any videos of the latest version?
Because this does sound nice.

There should be a few. I personally have uploaded one, but it's of one of the cheaper, more spammy builds that are possible. I plan to upload a video of a much faster character in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJTLis9lqN0
To overcome a monster, one must be willing to burn up their humanity, and become a monster
"
"

I'll give it this though, the atmosphere is the darkest i have played since D1. But yea, it's a bit like titan quest in some ways so it isn't off the best branch of ARPG's like PoE is :P

TQ has no shame to any arpg. It was top class clone, that improved many of original concepts.

Yes it was good if you liked that style, but it, in some way, didn't have that same dark gothic action focused appeal that D2 and PoE has. I don't know why, it just didnt make me go crazy at all, played through it couple of times, played with my brother and some others, but it never really caught me. D1 and D2 was instant, so was PoE.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
If anyone is interested in Grim Dawn I would suggest doing Youtube searches for up to date (B16) videos Like Fire_Kids.

There are others on the official forums with Twitch and YT channels posted on the forums.

If you're still interested after watching those vids/channels I would suggest buying it now rather than later because the price will go up at release.Just always keep in mind that it's alpha,there will be bugs,your chracter/build may break after an update,drop rates and mob density and balance is in flux and optimization is low priority for now.

Hope that helps.

I'll also tell you this about Grim Dawn. It is fucking hard.

I'm getting my ass kicked like mad dying all over the place extremely early in the game. Die like nothing and there is seemingly no way to become so fat you are just facerolling.

I was watching some dev on youtube the otherday showcasing the game and he ended up in a whipefest dying like 5 times to the same rare monster, finally killing it to what appears to be his own great satisfaction.

Very hard rofl, i think it will be a good game.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
ReZar wrote:
"
Completed 1 ChallengeBisuProbe wrote:
one feature from the main page that immediately stands out compared to poe:

"Refined loot system drops less junk items and ensures more consistent rewards from hero and boss monsters."

any can claim this is true?

Sounds like the revamped D3 loot system.

If loot is too easy to get you won't be playing for very long.

that's fine, i don't need every game i play to entertain me for hundreds of hours to be considered good.
Always play it in the key of G demolished
"Skill will make up for lack of gear long before gear makes up for lack of skill."
Wow, them explosions, gun shots, demolishing walls and rotating camera. God damn.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

Rainbow Forum Title Crowd

The device is believed to have been dropped
I posted this in the other thread about GD
Here's a comment I made on a gaming blog about GD. It reflects my current stance:

---

Imagine a continuum of ARPG complexity. On one side, the power fantasy/simplicity one, you have D3 (sadly). Very close to it stands (unmodded) Torchlight II. And on the other side of it, that of character planning and long-term investment, you have Path of Exile with its difficulty and complex, layered systems and detailed character customization.

Grim Dawn currently is right in the middle of that continuum. I have no doubt that it will hit the sweet spot for many. It’s my favourite after Path of Exile.

Source and ARPG experience: Supported PoE with a literal fuckton of money. Bought Grim Dawn loyalist package, was not disappointed. Cleared D3 pre-Inferno nerf. Also fond of Din’s Curse. Haven’t played Drox Operative yet.
Spell builds are the new self-found.
Last edited by ephetat on February 10, 2014 10:52 AM
Just to you know, our own Pohx got into Grim Dawn recently and he's making a video series on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YrKL2Mbz8
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

Rainbow Forum Title Crowd

The device is believed to have been dropped
"
ReZar wrote:

Sounds like the revamped D3 loot system.

If loot is too easy to get you won't be playing for very long.

Oh please stop with the non-sense. The characters I've played the longest in PoE are those for which I had uber gears. They are also the characters that make me want to return to the game.

Those characters I was unable to find/buy top tier gear, they were just tedious to map with, and made me take breaks from the game when I got fed up.

So I feel completely the opposite of what you're talking about. Make good loot easy to get, it makes the game more fun.
Keep on farming

ign: Thalandor
Last edited by Thalandor on February 10, 2014 3:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info