Updated 2/16/2014: The newest PoE webpage background image vs. the old (new) background image

EDIT 2/16/2014:

The newest background image: http://i.imgur.com/bE2EPAk.jpg"

vs.

The old (new) background image: http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/image/layout/teaser.jpg?1391733266"

The difference is very clear.

With that in mind, other than the still-existing cutoff gray line against the solid black background halfway down PoE's webpage, the newest background image is cleaner and more professional.

That cutoff, though, can be helped by blending it in with darker shades of gray until it turns completely black the more you scroll down PoE's webpage.

Nonetheless, thank you for improving the site's background. It's better than what it was.

/////////////////////////////////////

EDIT 2/9/2014: http://i.imgur.com/oUNjE16.jpg (the link shows a cut-off in the middle of the page wherever you see this new background on the site.) This line should be smoothed out to blend in with the rest of site's background.

EDIT 2/7/2014: Here is a highlighted, purposely exaggerated example of what the background image looks like on a LED monitor http://i.imgur.com/63rzAe7.jpg All I did was use the 'Color Dodge' effect on the Brush Tool in Photoshop with the color White at 75% Opacity to bring it out.

I won't say the above is that bad on my LED monitor, but it's bad enough where I can see those highlighted areas where the black areas aren't blended very well.

Updated 2/7/2014: I got to thinking about it and I cannot for the life of me figure out why whoever drew the new webpage background image would publish a image that looks so dull and unfinished. It's a terrible first impression since thousands of users view the site on a daily basis.

I cannot express it enough how very important first impressions are whether they have a direct effect on the actual game (PoE) or not. This is the main site, and if it doesn't look good, new (and some old) visitors won't use, believe in, or buy what the product (PoE) has to offer.

Constructive Feedback:

More than not, the site's background is worse. On the very left of the background it's more crisp in detail, and on the very right there's a terrible blur effect. And if you're an LED back-lit monitor user, you can see where there is a bad transition / blend with the black around the female figure's head on the left-hand side of the background image.

Why is that the case for LED back-lit monitors? For those who don't know, LED black-lit monitors display colors more brightly than LCD monitors where colors are more solid. For example, black on a LED back-lit monitor shows up more gray whereas black on a LCD monitor shows up more solid.

Furthermore, from a glance, the right of the background looks like a meditating (or praying?) skeleton with a towel over his head. I could be wrong, but what is it?

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not really into the new background image. The left of the background image I can get used to in time (with improvements,) but the right side of the background image is just an eyesore and makes no sense.

Please reconsider the old background, and if not, revise the new one.
HeavyMetalGear
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Feb 16, 2014, 10:05:14 PM
I find the left side extremely under detailed (The character specifically is mostly solid black with a red haze, no texture or anything), bland and boring and yeah, the right side is trying to achieve a DOF effect but it just looks like an eyesore.

Here's the entire background:
http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/image/layout/teaser.jpg?1391733266
http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/image/layout/teaser.jpg?1380152511
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 7, 2014, 7:19:44 AM
"
I find the left side extremely under detailed (The character specifically is mostly solid black with a red haze, no texture or anything), bland and boring and yeah, the right side is trying to achieve a DOF effect but it just looks like an eyesore.

Here's the entire background:
http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/image/layout/teaser.jpg?1391733266
http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/image/layout/teaser.jpg?1380152511

I actually did a 'Print Screen' last night just to see what the entire background looked like and saw the same thing you're showing in the two linked images, which is exactly what flashes before my eyes when I'm switching between PoE's site tabs.

The old background image (with the towering buildings) was 5x better.

P.S. I am using a back-lit LED monitor (where black shows up more gray opposed to a LCD monitor where colors are more solid,) and there also seems to be a terrible cut-in on the right-hand side of the background image below the female figure's head in which the black area is not consistent. You can clearly see the blending of the black is way off, especially if you're using a LED monitor.

I will also be adding the above stated to the OP.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Feb 16, 2014, 10:01:19 PM
You're right that everything above the neckline is grayish for the character in the foreground on the left. Your monitor being LED doesn't really mean much in terms of colour (or black/grays) output, or at least it means a lot less then the difference between TN and IPS/S-IPS/PVA displays for example.

Overall quality of the display matters as well, the difference between my $300 (TN) Samsung P2350 display and my dads $150 (TN) LG Flatron W2242T display is pretty staggering when it comes to things like the 2 tiers of fog of war used in Starcraft 2 multiplayer (Not the shroud). On my dads display they're identical looking where as on my display there is a stark difference between them.

The same applies to light shades of colour, on my dads display they appear almost the same as the white space surrounding the lightly coloured element where as on my display the difference is very pronounced.

Neither of our displays use LED's.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 8, 2014, 6:34:10 AM
Looks suitably sinister to me.
"
You're right that everything above the neckline is grayish for the character in the foreground on the left. Your monitor being LED doesn't really mean much in terms of colour (or black/grays) output, or at least it means a lot less then the difference between TN and IPS/S-IPS/PVA displays for example.

Overall quality of the display matters as well, the difference between my $300 (TN) Samsung P2350 display and my dads $150 (TN) LG Flatron W2242T display is pretty staggering when it comes to things like the 2 tiers of fog of war used in Starcraft 2 multiplayer (Not the shroud). On my dads display they're identical looking where as on my display there is a stark difference between them.

The same applies to light shades of colour, on my dads display they appear almost the same as the white space surrounding the lightly coloured element where as on my display the difference is very pronounced.

Neither of our displays use LED's.

It does matter. I have an LCD monitor in my other room. The difference between shades of black and grey (colors in general) are different. When I go to my LCD monitor, the gray around the female figure's neck is not as noticeable, but on my LED monitor it's much more noticeable since images display more brighter.

I set both my monitors to the same image settings and the difference is clear. It's not necessarily a matter of monitor quality, it's how it is between LCD vs. LED when it comes to color display (not image quality) whether you're comparing a cheap LCD monitor vs. a cheap LED monitor, or an expensive LCD monitor vs. an expensive LED monitor.

Furthermore, both my monitors are not cheap and my LCD and LED monitors put out the best quality they can for the monitor types that they are.

The fault is not in my monitors, it's in the site's new background image, and LED monitors because they are brighter are able to pinpoint blending flaws, etc. in an image more than LCD monitors can.

"
Mammatus wrote:
Looks suitably sinister to me.

In a way, yes it does look more sinister, but as my OP shows the image is way too grainy and poorly blended. I wouldn't really mind this new background image if it's improved.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Feb 8, 2014, 7:11:14 PM
I thought it was meant to look like that, a stolen glimpse of something not supposed to be seen, dark and terrifying, traumatic enough to blur even the memory of what you have seen.
"
Mammatus wrote:
I thought it was meant to look like that, a stolen glimpse of something not supposed to be seen, dark and terrifying, traumatic enough to blur even the memory of what you have seen.

While I know what you're saying, I do clearly see a lot of the so-called unseen I guess very few can see in the background image.

No matter the intention or background story behind the blur effect in the new background image, that still does not discredit the fact it's a poorly created image as shown / highlighted in my OP.

Another thing viewers should be aware of as they slowly scroll down this page is the gray line that goes straight across the screen, separating it in two. That should all be combined with the entire background, not separated by a line. It looks like a quick lay-over.

EDIT: I highlighted the above said in an image included in the OP.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Feb 9, 2014, 1:41:57 PM
As a LED monitor user, I disagree..

I really like the new one. The artwork carries a begotten-esque touch, which I highly appreciate.

I want to believe that these teasers are for to get players excited for the new content, so what I can say is; well done GGG!
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
"
ignarsoll wrote:
As a LED monitor user, I disagree..

I really like the new one. The artwork carries a begotten-esque touch, which I highly appreciate.

I want to believe that these teasers are for to get players excited for the new content, so what I can say is; well done GGG!

What is there to disagree to? I'm all for people liking the image (I wouldn't mind it either given some attention for improvement,) but there is no denying the evident flaws in the new background image shown in the OP. The OP is not about whether or not anyone likes what the background image depicts, it's about the rushed quality of it.

How can you be so accepting to such bad image quality? (not what it depicts.) I don't get it. Are you even seeing what I'm seeing? Are you really going to sit there and say the harsh, gray curved mark coming off the very left-hand side of the background image behind the female figure's head looks professional? (that's only one thing.)

Liking the art (or the idea) in an image is one thing; quality is another. When there is good art with a great idea behind it + quality, that's what makes a good background image.

I see the art in the new background image, but the quality is clearly not there, and I dare anyone to say otherwise (not just say it just to say it without good reason.) Tell me where the quality is...
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Feb 11, 2014, 2:47:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info