Another alpha preview

Thanks for the review. Any tips (for someone who has played Titan quest & Diablo2)?
Second in Command of PoE Clan - The Exiled
www.theexiledclan.org
"
tpapp157 wrote:
"
Shark wrote:
What do you rate the alpha version from 1-10?

If I had to review the game now as if it were a final product I would give it somewhere around a 6. The lack of significant portions of content and polish in some areas are the biggest problems.

Can you elaborate further on your 6/10 e.g.

Gameplay: x/10
Content: x/10
Variance of items: x/10
Variance of builds: x/10
Voice acting: x/10 (is there any currently in game?)
Act 1 story: x/10
Music: x/10
RIP Bolto
My impression is that tpapp's rating represents the fact that the content is not finished (missing from Alpha are Act Three, many skills, two character classes, and a few specific game features), and that there are technical issues that we need to resolve before beta.

Everything will improve over the next couple of months, so make sure to understand the context of any comments you read about the Alpha! :)
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
I got to say that being alpha, the game is really great. Combat feels good, enviroment is awesome and the music and effects is good. some things just blew my mind when I encountered them.
Above content may contain traces of nonsense.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
"
Chris wrote:
My impression is that tpapp's rating represents the fact that the content is not finished (missing from Alpha are Act Three, many skills, two character classes, and a few specific game features), and that there are technical issues that we need to resolve before beta.

Everything will improve over the next couple of months, so make sure to understand the context of any comments you read about the Alpha! :)

I agree completely. I hope that nobody misinterpreted my question as a critic but just as a rough estimate on how decent the game is/will be. I do hope that I will be able to test this game as soon as possible (fingers crossed!!!) And I have no intention of changing my mind just because I heard the Alpha version wasn't perfect.
www.theexiledclan.org
"
Chris wrote:

No one expects an alpha version to be perfect. I would hope no one on these forums would take it out of context as this a very mature community, compared to other forums I have frequented.
RIP Bolto
As Chris said, these opinions are critiquing the game as if it was final. This is hardly fair considering the game is in alpha.

"
Covert wrote:
Can you elaborate further on your 6/10 e.g.

Gameplay: x/10
Content: x/10
Variance of items: x/10
Variance of builds: x/10
Voice acting: x/10 (is there any currently in game?)
Act 1 story: x/10
Music: x/10

Gameplay: 8/10
The basics are all rock solid and the gameplay is a ton of fun. More skills, spells, and monsters along with continual balancing will easily bring it to 10.

Content: 5/10
This category kind of encompasses all the other categories below. There's still a lot of content not in the game yet. GGG has been working very hard and each new patch has introduced a substantial amount of new content to explore. I expect this area to improve consistently through to release and long after.

Variance of Items: 7/10
A good variety of base item types already with promises of much more to come. Mods, quality, and sockets allow for countless permutations and plenty of difficult cost/benefit trades.

Variance of Builds: 4/10
Only 4 of the 6 classes. Relatively few skills makes it difficult to specialize. This will expand significantly as more and more skills are added.

Voice Acting: 6/10
No voice acting yet (but eventually) unless you count the standard grunts and such. The lack of voice acting isn't really a bad thing. I don't consider voice acting to be mandatory in the arpg genre but GGG has said this is something they would like to include. Note that bad voice acting would lower this score.

Act 1 Story: 2/10
Unfortunately, story has gotten the short end of the stick because GGG has focused their efforts on introducing content elsewhere. Hopefully, the story and will be good but who knows at this point.

Music: 8/10
The music is good. It keeps to the background in a good way. I haven't gotten bored enough with it yet to introduce my own soundtrack which I frequently do in other games.
Forum Sheriff
Last edited by tpapp157 on Jul 4, 2011, 12:00:15 AM
Wow! really great! thanks tpapp157. a lot of work involved and Covert, I couldn't agree more.
www.theexiledclan.org
These are pretty fair criticisms (if judging an unreleased game is fair?), and thankfully there is a schedule that will see the missing elements added over the coming months.

Even in Closed Beta, the game should not be judged as finished. We would prefer to add an unfinished area to get feedback, rather than wait until it's 100% perfect before showing the testers.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Thanks for the further info tpapp, I have no worries that the story will be great after reading the various monster/area stories on the site.
RIP Bolto

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info