How Does Specter Level Scaling Really Work?

As I was told in another thread,

Specters 'de-level' in an area lower than them.
Specters level back up to proper level in areas thereafter.

However, a recent GGG post makes me questions this;

"
"
Hilbert wrote:
Edit: Oh yeah change sucks. Corpses should be arealevel!

What should you do with level 60 spectres in a level 70 area?

Do people really re-summon their spectres every time they go into a map?

I'm honestly interested, since that's the only way people will be able to play with level 70 spectres.

I was originally under the impression that specters once 'de-leveled' did not scale back up.
The community here told me this was wrong, and berated me pretty hard for it, however this quoted post would seem to support that as well.

So which is it?

If I summon a level 70+ creature, and enter a 66 zone, does that specter lower to 66 and stay there?

Or, do they scale back up if I go to a 70 area after the 66?

Thanks,
Spectres do not scale up in levels, only down.
Daniel, are you sure? I don't think the question was understood when you answered it. I ask this because this is the exact opposite of what we have been told in the past.

So if I raise a level 70 Spectre and go to Mud Flats normal (de-leveled) then go to a level 74 map the spectre should be re-leveled to level 70, right?

spectre_level = min( raised_level, zone_level ); ?
IGN: Korbad
Last edited by korbad on Feb 4, 2014, 2:49:57 PM
"

Thanks for answering.

I got this from your previous post, so just to clarify, if I summon a specter in a map that is say 74, and go to the eternal laboratory, which is 66, my 74 specter is now 66 permanently right?

Thanks again.
"

And there has been a ton of feedback sent to dev's and on the feedback forum saying this is a bad idea, because it means that when you get a level 77 spectre, its useless the second you return to town, because you have to go through eternal lab

We have had suggestion that they are either zone level or lvl they were raised at, whichever is lowest.

We have even had the suggestion that eternal lab is changed to a lvl 80 area. It wouldn't matter, its an instance with NO enemies, so having it ilvl 80 just means your spectres don't delevel
~irrelevant

Last edited by gr00grams on Feb 4, 2014, 4:51:48 PM
I tested this a while back on my summoner by taking some MerciSlums Carrion Queens to Normal Mud Flats, then to Merciless Mud Flats. If Specters do not scale back up, they should have been slaughtered and done no damage, but they held up perfectly fine. I'll run this again in a few minutes to see if that might've changed recently though.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
"
gr00grams wrote:
Here is an interesting counter point;

ALL this time, players have been under the assumption that they raised back up.

I was called a 'noob', every name in the book when I said this is how it reads. Regardless, all this time players have thought they have had 78 level or whatever specters, and been quite happy with the damage, to the point of lambasting me telling me "There is no comparison between a 78 map specter and a level 68 or whatever one. You're a noob and terrible at this game, bla bla", when in true fact, they have probably been running with level 66 specters this entire time, and been quite satisfied with their damage.

I have heard both sides of the fence, from people who say they have tested it.

But at the same time everything GGG have EVER said on the matter says it does not happen that way. Who is correct? GGG who may not be answering the question properly, or testers who might just not have the correct numbers
all spectres are put at lvl 66 when u enter eternal lab.... this is the whole reason they dont scale up.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Last edited by leighferon on Feb 4, 2014, 4:23:19 PM
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
"

And there has been a ton of feedback sent to dev's and on the feedback forum saying this is a bad idea, because it means that when you get a level 77 spectre, its useless the second you return to town, because you have to go through eternal lab

We have had suggestion that they are either zone level or lvl they were raised at, whichever is lowest.

We have even had the suggestion that eternal lab is changed to a lvl 80 area. It wouldn't matter, its an instance with NO enemies, so having it ilvl 80 just means your spectres don't delevel

Set it to level 100 and avoid future scaling issues.
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info