POE already setting standards

"
wakko wrote:
also looks tasty, you can enjoy it more

EDIT; I should mention that I hate almost all games that has these cartoony graphics. I have no idea why companys even consider doing these kind of graphics. Just my personal opinion though. It would be fine if a few games did it, sure, it would have a certain charm. But when almost the whole industry starts doing it? Come on...

Ages better. Games that go for the realistic look start aging really fast as technology improves. On top of that, it allows a wider range of computers to play it at a reasonable frame rate.
"
Septile wrote:
"
wakko wrote:

EDIT; I should mention that I hate almost all games that has these cartoony graphics. I have no idea why companys even consider doing these kind of graphics. Just my personal opinion though. It would be fine if a few games did it, sure, it would have a certain charm. But when almost the whole industry starts doing it? Come on...

Ages better. Games that go for the realistic look start aging really fast as technology improves. On top of that, it allows a wider range of computers to play it at a reasonable frame rate.

I would think the cartoonie stuff would age just as fast as the high-realism. I agree with your second point though, but I think WOW set the bar with a certain cartoon look we see a lot these days. Like you said; with mmo's you need a smaller polly count to keep the graphics low for massive online play. But I also think that because WOW did so well, a lot of other companies just want to 'clone' the art style.
I love lamp
"
jmackay wrote:
"
Septile wrote:
"
wakko wrote:

I would think the cartoonie stuff would age just as fast as the high-realism. I agree with your second point though, but I think WOW set the bar with a certain cartoon look we see a lot these days. Like you said; with mmo's you need a smaller polly count to keep the graphics low for massive online play. But I also think that because WOW did so well, a lot of other companies just want to 'clone' the art style.

If game companies truly believed that, the CoD series would have adopted that art style already. They haven't. Most games that have tried out an art style that can be perceived as "WoW cartoony" have been low-profile games made by an obscure studio, League of Legends is a popular example.

The game has an art style very similar to WoW, no doubt, but at the time it was being developed the studio was small and obscure. Over time it has started drifting away from the WoW art style after the game turned out to be a huge success, observable by some of their recent champion releases. A lot of high-profile well established game development studios still are just pumping out sequels or doing their own thing.

Art style is an aesthetic choice; it never causes me harm to play a game with a different art style – however, if the art style just looks terrible I may not play the game just because I don’t enjoy looking at it. In the case of “cartoony” graphics (which in my opinion is just another word for colorful) I don’t mind them, so long as the game-play is actually fun I.E. TL / Mario Etc.

Also, I love color in my games... I like seeing a splash of color, it keeps me interested... seeing grey, brown, and black all the time isn't my idea of eye-candy.

Yes, the D2 assassin developed this sort of charge system, which was likely an idea that came from some other game, I imagine PoE is perfecting the idea, PoE will be known for its potion system and its drop system, and its take on skills. I'm sure as time goes by they will develop more mechanics for us to use, can't wait!
Happy Days Abound.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info