UPDATED: Keyboard strokes not recognized; massive "keyboard lag" spikes

Hello, everyone. I'm updating this post, as the problem still has not been fixed.

PROBLEM: Periodically, I will experience in-game keyboard lag. My keystroke will not be recognized until 5-10 seconds later. This applies to: flask usage (no flask sound or application until 5-10 seconds later), the TAB key, the ESC key, entering the chat and typing, etc. All keys are affected by this.

Here's what I know and what I've done:

1. Doesn't seem to correlate with high/low FPS, high/low latency, latency spikes, etc. Happens when I'm fighting, standing still, in town, and elsewhere.

2. Only happens in POE.

3. Keyboard drivers are up to date. I use a wireless keyboard.

4. I use a wireless keyboard connected to my laptop. I've tried using the laptop's keys and the same problem occurs.

5. Comes in waves. What I mean is, the lag is not constant: sometimes keystrokes are immediately recognized, but sometimes not. I could press "1" and then, a half-second later, press "2" and have the first stroke recognized but the second take 5 seconds to do anything.

Drakier (below) gave me some advice, but the problem remains. If anyone has had a similar situation or some advice, please write back! Thank you.

- SamHerring
Last edited by Bandray on Mar 8, 2014, 10:45:27 PM
Last bumped on Aug 10, 2017, 9:30:28 AM
Bumping this for visibility. Hoping for a reply from GGG or someone with a similar experience.
what happens when you attempt to type in chat? same delay or is it only in interrupted hotkeys?
When I hit Enter to activate the chat, there can be delay. It's the same as hotkeys.

I've wondered if this could be a problem with my keyboard, but there are zero problems with it outside of POE.
not just enter, but once chat is active how do the characters respond?
Once active, everything responds correctly and in correct time. It feels like waves of lag: usually everything's calm and normal, but then a lag wave hits and you have to wait it out, after which keys respond normally again.

Any theories on what's going on with me? :/
I assume you've rebooted your PC and such since this problem started?

Have you checked your keyboard drivers?

So are you saying that only SOMETIMES it has this delay problem, then once it goes to "normal" everything works correctly? Then when the wave comes back, nothing works correctly until it goes away? Including typing letters in the chat box?

If it comes in waves, my guess would be some system resource being utilized which is causing the issue until that "resource" is freed. Then it goes back to normal until it is utilized again. For that, I'd monitor system resources and processes attempting to see what gets started/running at the time you experience the issue and when the issue is resolved if that process has stopped utilizing resources.
"
Drakier wrote:
I assume you've rebooted your PC and such since this problem started

If it comes in waves, my guess would be some system resource being utilized which is causing the issue until that "resource" is freed. Then it goes back to normal until it is utilized again. .

I reboot my PC often and don't notice a difference in my keyboard lag problem.

I wondered, too, when this first started happening if it was another system resource acting in "waves" and interfering. But with the game running and me alt-tabbed out of it, I experience no keyboard problems anywhere else: in a browser, a chat window, and so on. Would that rule out a meddling resource? Or not?
Bump.
Bump?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info