Minions movements

We didn't change anything about how close a ranged minion will get to something it's trying to attack - only which monsters they try to (those around the remembered location), and potentially where they at the time combat starts (near the remembered location, rather than near you). During the time that you're attacking yourself, it is identical to the old system.

If you're having specific problems with specific minions, detailed reports of which situations this comes up in will hopefully help us come up with a more refined system for next iteration.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jan 29, 2014, 11:45:09 PM
I understand that, but I systematically tried each and every enemy that I could spectrally raise in the game to try them out, and after almost giving up on the raise spectre gem entirely, I tried a flame sentinel. Finally I had a minion that matched my playing style perfectly. I also didn't have to keep going and getting them as much because they died. They could last the entire Catacombs, including the last room, and only need to be healed up 3-4 times the entire time.

Maybe other people had different experiences with them as minions, but for my range as a spectral throw user, they were perfect before.

Now they go where I'm attacking, rather than staying close to me where I want them to be, and as a result they get surrounded and killed right in front of me...over and over again. It's extremely frustrating...especially since raised spectres don't persist like summoned guardians do...and especially since I have to get TWO now. I sometimes have to run an entire floor of the Solaris Temple before I can find 2 flame sentinels, and that takes me up to half an hour before I can actually start playing in the places where I want/need to...when my playing time is already limited. There have been times when I had to stop playing like 15 minutes after finally getting my minions back, which wasn't even enough time to do anything. I had to just shut down my PC, and the whole thing was a wash.

...But I don't want to rant about that, I just want my raised spectres to behave like they used to so they don't die constantly. :(
I was going to report this "Bug" too. Please change it back. Now it is like my Minions do "glue" on past battle places. If I move forward to the next group of enemies, I stand alone against them because my Minions are a) to slow and b) now also to far away from me, so they can't help me in time.

It was fine as it was before.

Spoiler
Last edited by grijnskat on Jan 30, 2014, 1:04:42 AM
Thank you so much for this. This was the biggest reason I absolutely hated playing MM in PoE. Just make the zombies exactly like the skeletons in diablo 2 please, their behavior was nearly perfect.
"
It was fine as it was before.

Before the aggro range was also an issue, it's easier to make them attack when we need to right now but i think they must reduce a bit the distance needed for the minions to come back to us.
Last edited by Yesu on Jan 30, 2014, 12:58:34 AM
Last edited by Obright on Jan 30, 2014, 1:01:57 AM
This new behavior kind of makes properly supporting my minions with auras... rough.
"
This new behavior kind of makes properly supporting my minions with auras... rough.

That's another good point!

When I'm about to enter a new room in a dungeon, I always plop a totem in the middle of the room, through the doorway. Before, enemies from surrounding rooms would all come spilling in to attack the totem, and my minions and I would pick them off from a distance with fireballs and spectral throw. Now when I plop my totem, my flame sentinels go rushing into the room to get ambushed right along with it.

It's like they're on stupid pills. :(
Last edited by Obright on Jan 30, 2014, 1:46:00 AM
Yes please revert this change, old minion movement/following was way better.
My thoughts so far on the change:
The range you have to move away from your minions before they start to follow you is WAY too big now - 1 screen approx, right? I'd make that distance 1/2 of screen UNLESS there's an enemy in their own aggro range. In other words, if I want to move half a screen away while my minions are fighting - let them fight. If there's no-one to fight, and I'm moving - let them follow me!

Possibly, there should be a further condition - if I move 1 screen or more away, minions MUST follow me asap, even if engaged by enemy. As if a "retreat" command was given.

That "sticky" point for them should also have an expiration time. As in, I should still be able to direct them with a targeted action to a new location - but they shouldn't stay there indefinitely (or until I move)! In other words, I'd make a 3-5 sec expiration timer on that "sticky" - if there are no enemies to engage, and I perform no new actions (no movement or targeting actions) for this given period of time, the minions should come back to me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info